sean

What languages do you speak?

Some discussion recently about creating subforums here, for Taoist discussion in other languages.

So, I'm curious, what languages do you speak?

Would you like to see a subforum dedicated to it?

Are you relatively even-tempered, moderately sane and available to moderate a subforum here in your native language? :)

Can you see any implications, positive or negative, of this change?

Thanks!

Sean

PS - I speak a bit of Spanish and German, neither well, but I would enjoy seeing subforums for both, if there were enough interest.

Bulgarian, don't care if there's a subforum, as I'd ratehr type in english, and would not moderate it.

Good luck!

I'm against it. It's nice to have all discussions in one language. No offense meant to the speakers of other languages. English isn't the best or anything...it's just what we've been using!

And for the record, I can barely destroy French. Je ne parles francais!

I recite mantras in sanskrit, though i can't 'speak' it in a conversational sense. If there was a subforum, with sanskrit, that'd be nice for me. :D

Edited by mat black

I'm bilingual english/arabic, would not moderate, never tried it before.

subforums? hmm, different languages are what separate people so I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not. but it will increase the community numbers and outreach. The English language is not the best of languages.

implications? it might please some to have sub forums but it sounds like a lot of work, also they might come up in the new posts list. Personally I would like to see subject categories some day.

I`m bilingue English/French.

Speak Spanish badly. Read ok.

Speak German badly. Read badly.

Don't have time to moderate in French but would participate in a French forum. I wouldn't translate though;-) We have enough problems as is with translations;-)

Hola habla espanol. Hello I speak spanish. I dont know if we need a sub forum for spanish only and I dont think I could moderate it not on enough.

Edited by mewtwo

I speak Russian and Glossolalia

I lol'd.

Anyway, I think adding in subforums for different languages is really going to start more cliquishness.

Hi,

I speak spanish but I am not completely sure about if there would be enough spanish speakers here to justify to open a subforum only for them. Hopefuly, I am mistaken since it would be nice to be able to share here my thoughts in my mother tongue as well :P

Greets

Edited by elcaminante

Some discussion recently about creating subforums here, for Taoist discussion in other languages.

So, I'm curious, what languages do you speak?

Would you like to see a subforum dedicated to it?

Are you relatively even-tempered, moderately sane and available to moderate a subforum here in your native language? :)

Thanks!

Sean

PS - I speak a bit of Spanish and German, neither well, but I would enjoy seeing subforums for both, if there were enough interest.

first language english, fluent in spanish - would really enjoy a spanish subforum, but am in a minority.

trailmaker

Russian (native), Polish, Spanish, some Chinese. Yes, we need to argue about Kunlun in other languages!

English and Conversational Chinese.

I don't think there should be sub-forums because it would dilute topics and exclude those who cannot speak that language.

Russian (native), Polish, Spanish, some Chinese. Yes, we need to argue about Kunlun in other languages!

rofl nice sig

Dutch, French and English.

Not enough french or dutch people here to add the language.

Cheers !

I think that's the issue w/ other subforums in different languages. Information would come out that would necessitate translations - so if anything, ONE subforum dealing with taoist/etc writings in other languages would be sufficient. i.e. for significant writings on relevant topics, regardless of the language.

I guess it depends on the aim - we dont really need a subforum just to have conversation in another language.

hello!

i`m from germany. apart from my language i speak english, french, italian and spanish (a little bit).

i don`t think that subforums in different other languages are necessary. i have the impression that the members of the tao bums forum get along well with the english language. i don`t feel the need for a subforum in german or french or other languages - except for the kisuaheli language! lol!

more subforums make things more complicated. in europe almost all young people learn english at school. so i think the access to this english speaking forum should be no problem. i often made mistakes when i wrote posts here in the forum, because my english is not that good - but i was never criticised for it. i think that this international exchange of thoughts, opinions and information here in the forum works very well on the basis of the english language.

greetings from germany

sirius

I think that's the issue w/ other subforums in different languages. Information would come out that would necessitate translations - so if anything, ONE subforum dealing with taoist/etc writings in other languages would be sufficient. i.e. for significant writings on relevant topics, regardless of the language.

I guess it depends on the aim - we dont really need a subforum just to have conversation in another language.

good idea, one sub forum for topics in foreign languages. many topics, different languages, in one sub forum. would feel like an airport but convenient. but still there is the problem of moderation.

My native language is italian, and then I speak a bit of french. I don't think there should be subforums for minor languages (like italian, polish, etc...).

There probably should be a chinese forum. If not for other reason but to permit to this place to grow in china. Which then could help the practitioners here too. Maybe we could have the google chinese english translator installed, just to have a laugh.

And the other languages that could if neede be used should be the really big ones:

English, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Spanish, French, Portuguese.

(Sorry to the German people).

I think that pretty much no one who speaks two languages does not speak at least one of those.

In any case the world functions in English, so beside having a Chinese place I don't see the point of adding the others.

BTW how are we doing resepct to Chinese censorship? Are we being censored? Do we know?

Mine are :

Chinese , Japanese, English and French .

To me , adding French and Japanese seems something interesting.

The least Chinese cultural element that affects Japan , opposite to the Confucian one , is strangely Taoist . And, seldom can you find a Japanese who can speak/ write acceptable English . You also can't find any significant Japanese Taoist website on internet , so...

Adding French lets me have a place to practice my French .. :P

The proposal from Pietro about adding Chinese is most challenging . Because most Chinese Taoists , at this moment, do not get the ability to write readable English , yet they can read....their English writing ability is improving , so having one in Chinese means you can attract Taoists from Mainland China, not just overseas Chinese . More importantly , they are those guys who know most of the Taoist practical clue and techniques...

Edited by exorcist_1699

BTW how are we doing resepct to Chinese censorship? Are we being censored? Do we know?

I had no trouble accessing this site in China, I was there for 5 months.

I speak Friesian Dutch English German and a little French. And wouldn,t mind learning Esparanto.

Currently living in China. And tried to learn Mandarin in the Kantonese province Guandong. At the moment it seems to hard to learn. I have had access to most topics here at the taobums. I do get censored when I go to FG related Topics on this site.