Sign in to follow this  
Zedd

Howdy from Dallas, TX

I have read the Tao Te Ching many times in many translations (currently reading Chen's commentaries) and still grapple with some of he basic ideas. Sort of like trying to hold air in my hands.

Anyway, by background I am LDS (Mormon), I hope ya'll don't hold that against me. I do not find any of the Taoist principles to be in conflict with my religious beliefs, and in fact feel the Taoist 'world' view helps me in my faith. My ability to meditate, and pray has grown tremendously.

One more twist, I have discovered that through shamanism techniques I can interact in this world in an amazing way. I hope to find assistance here with some of my questions.

Hi Zedd,

Welcome!

Have you met Dallas Alice yet? (Sorry, just couldn't resist that.)

I have nothing against Mormons. In fact, I lived with a Mormon woman for about six months.

Okay. Serious. Hehehe.

Have you read Chuang Tzu yet? Whenever I am asked, I always recommend two or three different translations of the Tao-Te Ching, read Chaung Tzu, then go back and re-read the Tao-Te Ching. This process worked very well for me.

May you enjoy your time here.

Be well!

I have read Legge's version, it being on line. What other suggested translations would you make.

Hi Ledd,

Here is a link to many different translations: http://terebess.hu/english/lexikon/l.html

My favorites would be Lin Yutang and Robert G Henricks

As to Chuang Tzu, which can be found at the same site, my favorites would be Burton Watson and Lin Yutang although the last time I looked at it Lin's translation was not complete (didn't include all the chapters).

Be well!

Sign in to follow this