Sign in to follow this  
markern

Progress in martial art

I am strongly considering starting with a martial art called Kali Sicaran. It is a mix of filipino martial styles for close combat, wrestling, thai boxing and kali stick fighting. My question is what type of progress can one hope for in a couple of years if one practices only once a week. I practice Iyengar yoga 4-6 times a week so I just do not have time anymore. However that level of practice is giving me very, very good technical abilities and gets me in great shape so learning a martial art will be much easier for me, high kicks and understanding and executing the techniques will be so much easier for me now than a couple of years ago. I am doing this mostly just for fun but if a few years of practice could give me a decent ability to protect myself that would be great.

I don't know the style or method of teaching, but only going once a week can give you theory and exercise, but unless you're practicing it by yourself I don't think you'll develop the muscle memory and practice the technique enough to do it 'live'.

Who knows maybe it will suck you for another class or two a week. I did many years of martial arts and found 2 days (at least) needed for steady gain.

Michael

If you practice on your own you will make pretty good strides. Even the stick fighting can be practiced alone and you will get faster and faster and more precise in your hits. But even if you just make it to one class a week, thats better than not at all especially since you dont know what the future holds. You might love it so much you drop your other practices and take the warrior path for the rest of your life.

I am strongly considering starting with a martial art called Kali Sicaran. It is a mix of filipino martial styles for close combat, wrestling, thai boxing and kali stick fighting. My question is what type of progress can one hope for in a couple of years if one practices only once a week.

Doesn't matter.

If you find a good teacher of a good method, you will WANT to practice more than once a week, and you will rearrange your schedule to facilitate that.

So if you haven't found that yet...maybe keep looking.

Doesn't matter.

If you find a good teacher of a good method, you will WANT to practice more than once a week, and you will rearrange your schedule to facilitate that.

So if you haven't found that yet...maybe keep looking.

How true.

Thanks for the replies they were realy helpfull. Kali Sikaran is quite simple and straight forward with muy thai, filipino boxing and close combat and grapling as the core elements. So the movements are a lot more instinctual than kung fu etc. and so should get wired in a lot sooner. It also has a fair share of sparing. From people I have talked to that did sparing in muy thai they said that after six months they could easily kick the ass of anyone their own size that was not trained in martial arts just by not doing stupid stuff most people do in fights and that makes sense to me. Also Krav Maga insructors hae told me that they consider Kali Sikaran to be the next best thing for self defense after krav maga and very similar to it. I am also considering doing Krav Maga, muy thai or MMA for a while but thing I want to start with this.

Practice every day.

Train the mind, the body and the spirit.

Nobody can learn a good martial science from video or book, they will be missing the vital elements of transmission and feeling.

Sign in to follow this