Sign in to follow this  
findley

Faith in Tao?

Do you think we should have any reason to believe that if we are successfully cultivating Dao, that social (even financial,) issues in our lives will settle, at least generally, in our favor?

For example, I am hoping to earn a massive scholarship, and am waiting on word of my winnings-- which should come by the end of July. Is it absolutely ridiculous to think to myself that perhaps, in light of the cultivation of the Tao, (of which I am certainly sure is genuine,) that I will be awarded the fruit of this scholarship? -especially considering that such an award would be a substantial boon to my very practice and cultivation?

Oooh, we'll see. . . Really, I don't see why the Tao would give a damn about my scholarship-- but perhaps some ghosts or immortals will come to my aid, eh? Or the energy of my cultivation will leak into my social reality a la 'The Secret', eh? :rolleyes:

Oh, I wish life for the enlightened fellow was not grounded on so much mystery ! ;)

Often, we want things that are not in harmony with Dao, or our personal destiny or life mission. If we let things happen, it all works for the best. If it is in harmony with the will of the Force you will get your scholarship.

Do you think we should have any reason to believe that if we are successfully cultivating Dao, that social (even financial,) issues in our lives will settle, at least generally, in our favor?

For example, I am hoping to earn a massive scholarship, and am waiting on word of my winnings-- which should come by the end of July. Is it absolutely ridiculous to think to myself that perhaps, in light of the cultivation of the Tao, (of which I am certainly sure is genuine,) that I will be awarded the fruit of this scholarship? -especially considering that such an award would be a substantial boon to my very practice and cultivation?

Oooh, we'll see. . . Really, I don't see why the Tao would give a damn about my scholarship-- but perhaps some ghosts or immortals will come to my aid, eh? Or the energy of my cultivation will leak into my social reality a la 'The Secret', eh? :rolleyes:

Oh, I wish life for the enlightened fellow was not grounded on so much mystery ! ;)

Hi Findley,

I think you are right; Tao doesn't give a darn one way or the other. (After all, what is, is.)

But, understanding Nature and understanding Tao the little I do has helped me greatly in being able to accept the outcome of my actions (or inactions) and even of those things I had no control over.

Be well!

I think getting your scolarship is a fairly short term goal and apart from some miracle happening now, if your work you submitted in applying for the scolarship isn't up to scratch u won't get it. It's already set as to if u'll get it or not because you've already completed the work, u just don't know yet. But if you have some longer term goals, perhaps what you want to do after you have completed your scolarship and make choices that will help you acheive those goals i'm sure u'll get closer and closer until you acheive your long term goals. I think the tao can help you acheive your long term goals that you set, but you just let the tao take it's course on how you acheive those goals, often in very unexpected ways ;)

Hi Findley,

I think you are right; Tao doesn't give a darn one way or the other. (After all, what is, is.)

But, understanding Nature and understanding Tao the little I do has helped me greatly in being able to accept the outcome of my actions (or inactions) and even of those things I had no control over.

Be well!

Yup

Michael

Cultivating is about not be attached to results. I have been looking for a job since January and was quite successful in not attaching the results of interviews, submitted resumes, etc. I finally found employment and it happened from me mentioning it to someone (a Manager) in conversation 1-2 months before they offered me a job interview. I didn't have an attachment because I had done nothing more than asking if they were hiring during a conversation. If I start wishing, expecting, etc, I am setting myself up for disappointment and am definitely not cultivating the Tao.

Hi Taocultivator

If I start wishing, expecting, etc, I am setting myself up for disappointment and am definitely not cultivating the Tao.

I think it is important that we understand this and remind ourself of it periodically; especially for those who hold to a religion that preaches "prayer" and "faith".

Be well!

"prayer" and "faith".

maybe we should replace the meaning of these words with "self programming" and "projecting the intention towards a goal"

Personally, I think faith is naive, and comes from insecurity.

I don't think it's necessary. Following the Tao works; just like that. At some points I guess faith is important, but the principles of the Tao work, which is why people continue to employ them 4,000 years later!

My 2 cents, not trying to offend anyone ;)

maybe we should replace the meaning of these words with "self programming" and "projecting the intention towards a goal"

Hi Steam,

Yes, I agree. Now, I'm not knocking anyone who holds to 'faith' and 'prayer' because that is what they belive in and have been taught throughout their life.

The power of suggestion is stronger than most understand it to be so 'self-programming', I think, could be an excellent alternative to prayer (when it is directed toward self rather than others).

And I also hold to the idea that we each should understand as thoroughly as possible our own capabilities and capacities. If we understand what is within our abilities then we can have 'faith' in our ability and thereby 'project our intention toward a goal'.

But to pray and have faith in some supernatural power hoping for intervention while we sit in our easy chair sucking on a can of beer and watching some useless crap on TV is just asking for a little too much, I think.

Be well!

Personally, I think faith is naive, and comes from insecurity.

I don't think it's necessary. Following the Tao works; just like that. At some points I guess faith is important, but the principles of the Tao work, which is why people continue to employ them 4,000 years later!

My 2 cents, not trying to offend anyone ;)

Hi DaoChild,

From a personal perspective, I agree with you. But let us be fair and heed to the saying 'different strokes for different folks'.

Yes, insecurity is at the root of many supernatural beliefs. Fear is another of those roots.

And I will agree that once a person gets beyond the concepts of insecurity and fear life become much easier and I will even suggest, more enjoyable.

Be well!

When I was bali, I saw restaurants every morning go out and make offerings

to the spirits for good luck to their businesses.

Prayer and offerings do help and work.

Sign in to follow this