Li TaoRen

Know-it-all

Being new here, I may be out of line, but it seems to me that quite a few members like to flaunt and make a big deal of their knowledge. Often I see good advice given, but the tone is often "look what I know".

I am a meditation teacher, student of a Thai Master, and practitioner for 20 years. I have practiced Qigong/SHengong for 14 years with different teachers, and have been a student and practitioner of Medical Qigong for 9 years. OK, I know there are many ways to see things, and everything is a big grey area; but some advice Ive seen is downright dangerous. Some comments are so arrogant in tone, that it seems absurd that these people think they are enlightened or whatever. The more you think you know...

Since many people, earnest seekers included, do not know much about Qigong, Tao, or whatever- or have difficulty finding clear information- it is easy to read a couple of books and desire to share. But are we sharing out of calling, or for the gratification of seeming smart or knowing something someone else does not. If it is the latter, it is ego. When people claim to have these high level meditation experiences, and present in their postings such enormous ego; something doesn't make sense.

If you don't have knowledge, real knowledge of energetic medicine or the ability for remote viewing- don't give stupid advice or prescribe exercises or herbs.

Also quoting books at other people is meaningless when you don't understand what you are talking about.

If you are just lonely, talk about the weather or get a cat. If you need to show off, buy a sportscar.

Accept where you stand in cultivation, trying to outdo another or appear wiser than you are is good for no one.

Intellectual knowledge is a beginning, you can memorize a million books and still be a fool.

I know there are some real people here, wise and cultivated. I appreciate you and learn much from reading your posts. Im sure the real people will take no offense to this post.

Being new here, I may be out of line, but it seems to me that quite a few members like to flaunt and make a big deal of their knowledge. Often I see good advice given, but the tone is often "look what I know".

I think this is the nature of taobums simply because there are humans speaking here. This is not a closed forum for only highly evolved qigong masters. So I believe we just have to accept normal human delution and inflated egos as part of the taobums.

Hi Li,

I oftentimes think I know a lot of things. Of course, these are nothing more than my understandings, opinions and beliefs. They could all be wrong but they are the only things I have to work with.

Be well!

There is no such thing as knowledge.

No book can be known.

Experience can be had for many things, like herbs, but not for knowledge.

I took an oath to share Tao, among other things.

I have never shared a quote of a book without explaining it.

We only have our own perspectives, right or wrong, good or bad.

I hope every member shares what they know and does not fear to do so.

What shocks me is when people think they aren't enlightened.

What shocks me is when people think they aren't enlightened.

Gee! Thanks a lot Josh. I'm still trying to figure out what that word means.

Be well!

If you don't know what it means, then how can you know that you are not enlightened?

Just curious.

Hehehe. For an enlightened person it really wouldn't matter, would it?

What would one do? Walk around proclaiming "I am enlightened! I am enlightened!"? I doubt it.

Be well!

Nice feedback. it warms my heart to read these real words of wisdom. There is some hope for mankind, especially when we work together. Sages and wannabe sages unite!

I've only been here and incredibly short time, and I have to say I've noticed this as well. One one hand it doesn't really bother me though because I think it's an inevitability, but its still a little upsetting when you see too much of it.

It certainly isn't everyone. I think most of us would agree that we're still in the very beginning of whatever "path" I guess you could say we're traveling on. I know I am, I've barely taken the first step. And I have a feeling I'll be here, at the beginning, for an incredibly long period of time.

Still, hearing people talk about their "insights" being "on a higher level" for example, makes me cringe. And these same people seem to be trying to wax philosophic, trying to show off their "higher minds" but it doesn't sound like they are actually saying anything. Maybe some people need to take the time out and try and go over where they started in Taoism? Whatever happened to "A great nation lowers itself" or "When no credit is taken, accomplishment endures?" (sorry OP if I'm falling into the trap of quoting things I don't know the meaning of, I can't say I know for certain exactly what these quotes mean. I just felt they seemed relevant.)

To me people acting like that just seems to go against Taoism. This is just how I feel though, obviously I can't know, I can't say what someone else is practicing is wrong, I can just say how I personally feel. My personal philosophy is to approach everything like I was an amateur, because I always will be. And if I convince myself I'm a master of something or above others in something I have a feeling I'll be dead wrong. And that would only set me back.

At the same time, I think this is an aspect of the Internet. Every forum on the Internet has people acting in ways they would never act in real life. Trying to put on a specific image. I think it has something to do with the "Online Disinhibition Effect."

All that said, it looks like the vast majority of people here are level headed people just trying to further themselves, and help others do the same thing. That's why I'm here and what I'm looking forward too, not hearing why other people are "too enlightened" and beyond the level of plebeians like me.

I just have to say personally that if I am sounding like a know it all, it's just me still being stupid because I'm not perfect. The longer you identify yourself as a Taoist or spiritual person, the easier it is to think you should be achieved...or that your little achievements are something worthwhile. Sorry guys. :)

Hi Scotty,

I've not seen you coming off as arrogant. But I think we all will on occasion because every now and then we think we know something and want to share it. Sharing is good. Talking is good. Listening is good. Understanding is even better. Giving feedback is friendly behavior and this is good. Honestly trying to help someone else is even better.

I personally love feedback from things I have said - it helps me sort through those concepts I still question.

Be well!

My Tao is more un-nameable than your Tao.

Just kidding.

I find that people don't flaunt knowledge so much as the time they have put into something.

It is funny that way, people tend to be more concerned with how many years they can claim they have been doing things than they are with knowledge and understanding.

It is like the so called higher education system. People don't care about what they learned so much as they care about the diploma. In general they have no passion for learning, they just want the piece of paper and they jump through the hoops to get it. So instead of sharing knowledge they just share that they have a degree and people pretend that makes them smart or educated.

Much of the time people who learn for the sake of learning, who have no degree, know much more about specific fields of study than people with doctorates in the same field. It is a shame.

Nicely put. I didn't mean to come across as being against quoting things, as this is very useful. The problem I have is when all someone can do is quote; just to show off and look special.

I've only been here and incredibly short time, and I have to say I've noticed this as well. One one hand it doesn't really bother me though because I think it's an inevitability, but its still a little upsetting when you see too much of it.

It certainly isn't everyone. I think most of us would agree that we're still in the very beginning of whatever "path" I guess you could say we're traveling on. I know I am, I've barely taken the first step. And I have a feeling I'll be here, at the beginning, for an incredibly long period of time.

Still, hearing people talk about their "insights" being "on a higher level" for example, makes me cringe. And these same people seem to be trying to wax philosophic, trying to show off their "higher minds" but it doesn't sound like they are actually saying anything. Maybe some people need to take the time out and try and go over where they started in Taoism? Whatever happened to "A great nation lowers itself" or "When no credit is taken, accomplishment endures?" (sorry OP if I'm falling into the trap of quoting things I don't know the meaning of, I can't say I know for certain exactly what these quotes mean. I just felt they seemed relevant.)

To me people acting like that just seems to go against Taoism. This is just how I feel though, obviously I can't know, I can't say what someone else is practicing is wrong, I can just say how I personally feel. My personal philosophy is to approach everything like I was an amateur, because I always will be. And if I convince myself I'm a master of something or above others in something I have a feeling I'll be dead wrong. And that would only set me back.

At the same time, I think this is an aspect of the Internet. Every forum on the Internet has people acting in ways they would never act in real life. Trying to put on a specific image. I think it has something to do with the "Online Disinhibition Effect."

All that said, it looks like the vast majority of people here are level headed people just trying to further themselves, and help others do the same thing. That's why I'm here and what I'm looking forward too, not hearing why other people are "too enlightened" and beyond the level of plebeians like me.

Yes we all will, just as I opened this post talking about what I think I know. There is a difference, however in motivation. Scotty- Ive read some of your posts, and have not seen them as arrogant. You are quite insightful

Hi Scotty,

I've not seen you coming off as arrogant. But I think we all will on occasion because every now and then we think we know something and want to share it. Sharing is good. Talking is good. Listening is good. Understanding is even better. Giving feedback is friendly behavior and this is good. Honestly trying to help someone else is even better.

I personally love feedback from things I have said - it helps me sort through those concepts I still question.

Be well!