Sign in to follow this  
Old Man Contradiction

Cultivate 24 hours a day!

Put up the little things that you do during your daily activities to practice whatever it is that you practice....

1. Pay attention. Fully to whoever is speaking, or fully to my body and my environment.

2. Never sit with feet on the ground.

3. Hold up arms when driving, don't let your grip hold the wheel with your arms hanging.

4. Breath slowly and with the whole body.

5. Move as slow, as coordinated, and intentful as you can while you go to pick up your glass of water off the table.

I really like some of the things you listed -- I hope you don't mind if I steal some :P .

Aside from my 'formal' sessions, there are only a few things I try to do in daily life.

A) I naturally have poor circulation, I think due to shallow breathing. So I have a "built-in" reminder to breathe deeply and with my whole body as much as possible

B) Whenever I put something down I mentally state in my head where I put it -- I noticed that it makes me remember 100% of the time where I last put down that watch, book, glass of water, etc.

C) I use doorways as a trigger to be mindful. Everytime I walk through I feel the inside of my body, and then pay close attention to the surrounding area. If i'm inside, I notice the room, wall colors, major features, I do a general headcount of people

D) When I park my car I briefly glance back and take a mental note of the Color/Model/License plate of the 2 cars that may be on either side.

Many of mine at external awarness exercises, ironically enough. They come from my days as a naturalist ;)

Tongue touches roof of mouth. Breathe through the nostrils without hearing the sound...usually belly breathing, pressing diaphragm down onto kidney. Smile a genuine smile; laugh. Slightly tuck the chin to open the suboccipital area. Forget/let go of everything. Be kind.

Awesome post. I am very happy to share, and learn what others do as well. I think anyone who is very much alive shares similar interests in this.

-At night before bed, i shut off the lights in the living room, and walk with my eyes closed to the bed. Stepping slowly, i lift my foot off of the ground so it remains parallel to the ground at all times lifting, and placing it in front. Never 'falling' into the next step, or 'jumping' into the next leg. The motion can be stopped at any time without having to adjust for balance. (this is a simplified explanation, but still useful)

-Opening any door, like daochild; the same principle as the previous (no falling) applied while pushing it or pulling it open, or closed. Allowing the connection to run through every part, and never leaning.

-I use the shower to clean the body of course, but also i clean the mind (semantics... 'who cleans the mind?). What i did was placed a small bell in the shower, hanging from a string. When a thought arises, i ring the bell. Its not necessarily to rid myself of thought, but i am aware of the thoughts and when they arise.

-When lifting an object, allowing the muscles to elongate instead of contract, this connection runs through the whole body when done correctly.

These are only a few, its melded into my life. There are many others, but either too dangerous, or too complex to post on here. Maybe you will find these as useful as i do.

If you are interested in a very elaborate explanation of opening and closing the door, i have a post on my blog that goes into dantien movement when applying force and how it differs from using a (certain kind of) wave-like motion (That is very commonly improperly taught as Tai Chi). There are a few 5 second videos on there illustrating the theories of movement. Anyone interested in push hands, fajin, or the like may find this useful as well.

Dantien Movement and Falling Force

Again, thanks for sharing.

I smile a half smile when I first wake up. Nothing forced, just a half smile, a little smirk.

Same whenever I am alone.

As someone noted earlier I, too, have always breathed far too shallow, so now whenever I have the chance I do some deep breathing, I do it subconsciously now.

I take a breath before I speak. It may seem as if you'll come off as strange because there will be a long pause in your conversation, but there is really not, at all.

When someone is speaking to me, especially with a problem, I have learned to listen intently, to the point as if I'm nearly feeling what they are saying. Something that is hard to explain.. hm.

I'm sure there is more.

But that's it for now.

Put up the little things that you do during your daily activities to practice whatever it is that you practice....

1. Pay attention. Fully to whoever is speaking, or fully to my body and my environment.

2. Never sit with feet on the ground.

3. Hold up arms when driving, don't let your grip hold the wheel with your arms hanging.

4. Breath slowly and with the whole body.

5. Move as slow, as coordinated, and intentful as you can while you go to pick up your glass of water off the table.

I don't know about number 2, but the rest is rather common for many Buddhist practitioners; it is called mindfulness. You put total attention on exactly what you are doing at that moment, and make all of your actions intentional.

Yes, Old Man Contradiction...could you explain the reason for your practice of not sitting with feet on the ground? I have never heard of that before.

Yes, Old Man Contradiction...could you explain the reason for your practice of not sitting with feet on the ground? I have never heard of that before.

Ah it's nothing too profound.. I hold them in the air with the same type of muscle control that is required in Zhan Zhuang and Taiji. I realized today that it's an opportunity to create resistance with my intention, just like in standing practice. The resistance will be as if I were trying to push through a concrete block with my feet. Sung-gain will still be in balance, I'll recruit as much muscle as I can, and I'll be developing power in the same way as Zhan Zhuang.

Another form of resistance could be that my feet way a ton, or they are bungee corded together and I'm trying to pull them apart.

Just a way for me to train when not training....

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

Sign in to follow this