Sign in to follow this  
Stigweard

What's the 'point' of Nothingness?

The 'point of nothing', if such a thing is possible, is to emulate Tao.

Through universal spontaneity the distinction of life emerges from the primordial nothingness and becomes beingness. Then, through the natural process of universal nature, beingness reverts once again to nothingness. Thus Tao, through spontaneous expression, is ever-growing and, through the process of return, is ever-renewing.

Thus, to enjoy the basic virtues of health and longevity, we must discover the secrets of reverting to nothingness so that we to may become ever-renewing. Without being able to return to nothingness we incessantly expend our vitality and suffer the tragedy of premature illness and death.

:D

Through universal spontaneity the distinction of life emerges from the primordial nothingness and becomes beingness. Then, through the natural process of universal nature, beingness reverts once again to nothingness. Thus Tao, through spontaneous expression, is ever-growing and, through the process of return, is ever-renewing.

Thus, to enjoy the basic virtues of health and longevity, we must discover the secrets of reverting to nothingness so that we to may become ever-renewing. Without being able to return to nothingness we incessantly expend our vitality and suffer the tragedy of premature illness and death.

Thats a great post Stig.You have a wonderful command of language.

This is what I like in particular about the five element theory. The process of going and returning is alluded to in such a fashion, where one can see how ones views disrupt ones health and longevity.

The realisation that contained in expansion is contraction and in contraction there is expansion,is above all very liberating.

That going and coming are held together simutaneously, is wonderful indeed.

Yea!!! We get to talk about nothingness, cycles and reversion!!!

Yes, nice post Stigweard.

No-thing-ness reverting to thing-ness (something from nothing) and then reverting back to no-thing-ness in continuous cycles: birth - life - death - rebirth. Very natural indeed.

I should note here that I do not hold to any of the religious aspects of Taoism (nor any other religion) so I'm not talking about reincarnation. I am talking about "re-use". (The total essence of what I am will be used over and over again.)

And I agree that we should understand the natural processes as well as we can so to allow ourself to live according to our individual capacities and capabilities. And this includes taking care of our body and mind so that we are able to ward off all the sicknesses that the human animal is subject to.

"universal spontaneity"

I love this concept! I was first introduced to it by Wayne L. Wang in his "Dynamic Tao" where he defined "Tzujan".

In my mind this is the nature of Tao - just doing what it has to do - nothing less, nothing more.

Yes, nothingness is the time for rest. The time between being this and that. During our short time in this manifestation we individual manifestations should seek out our times of nothingness as well - the times of resting between doing this and that.

Be well!

Very nice Stig. It reminds me of the Shaivite teachings on Spanda - Shiva and Shakti - the volitional energy and stillness.

http://www.spiritual-teachers.com/returntoshiva.htm

Namaste

Sign in to follow this