Pietro

How to become a Taoist

I think you all know my utter fascination with Wiki, right?

Well, there is a wiki site called "WikiHow" which is essentially a wiki of tips on how to do things: build a bike, get a free massage, etc...

Well, looking around there I found the How to become a Taoist page.

So here are the essential steps:

1) Read the Tao Te Ching

2) Research Taoism further. Many translations can be found in bookstores, libraries and on the world wide web.

3) If you find it appealing, you can call yourself a Taoist.

Isn't this wonderful? So simple and direct. I was a Taoist pretty much all my life and I never knew it. WTF!

Being a wiki we can add things and modify things. So here is my suggestion...

What was according to you the point after which you started considering yourself a Taoist?

Did you need a formal initiation, or when you started practicing taoist practices, or what?

You might be a Taoist if...

...your mind is stuck in your lower caldron.

...there's a branch sticking out of your ass.

...you are too horny to meditate.

...you engage in risky behavior if a website suggests it.

...think you are ready for cage fighting by "doing internal stuff".

...if you get your ass kicked and swear you've won.

8574[/snapback]

Luke Cummo is a Taoist MMA guy on Spike TV's "Ultimate Fighter" and he was the LAST pick as no coach wanted him. He defeated 2 other guys and is going to be in the finals in front of 1,000s of people.

He does internal training and eats raw stuff on the show, as well as talk about sex a lot. Max and I root for him every episode.

Luke Skywalker(Cummo) as MMA fans call him has a good chance of winning it. He has strong stand up and alot of heart.

Diego Sanchez is also fighting that night he is another character. Does yoga and meditates before fighting..

Luke Skywalker(Cummo) as MMA fans call him has a good chance of winning it. He has strong stand up and alot of heart.

Diego Sanchez is also fighting that night he is another character. Does yoga and meditates before fighting..

8580[/snapback]

While Luke's last battle was the best fight of the season so far and he knocked out his opponent with a knee to the chin, had time not ran out when it did at the end of the 2nd round there is a good chance that Luke would have had to submit to an arm bar. I know he got out of a strong choke in each fight, but an arm bar like that one is a different story! Still, time was on his side and in round 3 there was one hell of a slug-fest ending in KO.

8574[/snapback]

:D

For me the big change was when I realised my values where more near taoist values than values from any other recognisable moral-ethical system.

:D

For me the big change was when I realised my values where more near taoist values than values from any other recognisable moral-ethical system.

8606[/snapback]

I realized I was not a taoist when I freaked out by being told I was going to be a father.

On a more serious note, I think you are a step closer to being a true taoist when you don't feel a sting of loss when watching the scene where Yoda says "eh...Forever sleep, eh, eh, eh," and then he dies in "Empire strikes back".

h

I don't have cable, but Luke sounds very cool. I'll see if I can find any clips.

I do think there are Chinese fighters who can simply electrocute their attackers with chi like the dude on the Bill Moyer's documentary, but I'd like to see one of them actually do it.