Spirit Ape

Vegetarian diet and body building / hard training

Hi Guys,

I teach and do a lot of hard workouts but im looking at going Vegie for many reasons. But what Im looking for is proper vegetarian diet that has all the proper building blocks to repare muscles not neccessary build BIG muscle im not after big muscle cause im BIG enough im after the proper Daoist or Buddhist Vegie diet that will give me the energy to train hard, repare muscles, as well healthy lifestyle.

My diet knowledge really sucks thats something I do lack in, so anyone with some real good healthy Vegie eating and hard workout knowledge I would love to hear what you eat or train if you are a Vegie, not a VEGAN diet?!

I dont do body building like at a gym just hard kung fu as well soft kung fu some im after a vegie diet that helps my body, mind , spirit!!

comments?

regards

Garry aka Ape

Hey Gary.

The biggest problem I found with a veg diet and doing a lot of physical work is.

1 getting enough food into myself so I have enough fuel reserves

2 getting enough protein.

I know you can get protein from non animal sources but for some reason its just not the same.

I get to a point were I need to eat meat so I have enough energy to do my job.

If I have a break from work and what not then vegeterian is great,could easily forgo the meat,but find I can't be strickly vegeterian while working hard.

Having a ridicoulsly fast metabolism doesn't help either.

I don't think there is a proper vegetarian diet. I don't think vegetarianism is healthy unless you eat a loooootttttt of eggs. And good quality (raw) dairy.

Veganism is just a mess waiting to happen.

Just one man's opinion. :D

Hi Seadog,

One big reason for me turning Vegie is I feel a animal had to die for me to have a steak or a piece of chicken and that kinda gets to me, plus eating meat for me just doesnt taste nice at all. Ive been brought up on meat so it was the norm but as im getting more spiritual I feel sad to think of these animal. I dont know if eating meat will do anything after death , being judged or what not cause we DONT REALLY KNOW, unless we die. Maybe its all B.S and we can eat meat, just as we can eat vegetables?

That being said I do enjoy chicken mostly, but im looking to clean my body out as well if its TRUE about Karmic effect I want to CLEAN that part of me out.

Any suggestions, for you guys that have reached GOLDEN DRAGON and been on the other side??? lol

HELP!!!

Garry

Im looking at these Shaolin monks, and daoist monks, they were apparently awesome and feared fighters , and was vegetarians, No???

Ape

Yeah totally understand what you are saying Gary and I feel like I'am in the same situation as you.Hate the idea that some other creature had to suffer so I can maintain myself.

Seriously tried to maintain a veg diet but like I mentioned before just couldn't sustain me.

If you find something that works for you while doing some hard and contious physical labour please let me know.

I have the same feelings like you Spiritape.

In the past five or six years I started not to like meat so much anymore. Intuitively I would order veggie dishes.

Also I started to feel that eating meat for me is causing suffering to animals which is not necessary.

Still, once in a while, perhaps 1 or 2x per months I feel a hunger for meat and then I eat it.

To get to the diet. It's no problem to be strong and a veggie. A friend has been veggie since birth and is very strong.

What I recommend is the following:

The usual stuff: No sugar, no white flour products.

In the morning you can make yourself a kind of musli/grits (spelling?) by soaking roughly milled (is that the word? The process of making flour out of grain) grain like buckwheat, barley or oat.

To be easy on the stomach you can bring it once to a boil. THen add some fruits and milk or yogurt if you like.

Then for the main course I have whole rice, some vegetables and a bit of tofu or similar protein sources like lentils. Potatoes are very good, too, of course.

Once in a while I still have an egg.

In the evening I have a salad and/or some bread with cheese.

During the day I eat fruit. Sometimes I also eat only fruit for half a day.

This works very well for me.

Have fun.

I've been veg for years, and worked out in the gym alot, though much less this year. Stallone and Arny are veg, so I hear.

Whey protein powder shakes really help build and maintain muscles.

Edited by de_paradise

Making sure you eat plenty of lentils is a must for your veggie diet. I think chickpeas are similar (?) and they make a nice curry too. :D

Any suggestions, for you guys that have reached GOLDEN DRAGON and been on the other side??? lol

HELP!!!

Garry

Im looking at these Shaolin monks, and daoist monks, they were apparently awesome and feared fighters , and was vegetarians, No???

Ape

Max is not vegetarian.

Also, Shaolin Buddhist monks were allowed to eat meat and drink alcohol by the Emperor (not saying they all did).

I was doing pretty well on a primarily-vegan diet by using beans as a protein source. However, I decided I was going to try transitioning to sprouts, which are supposedly an even better superfood, but haven't done so yet and so have been eating sardines in the meantime, lol..

Carl Lewis is probably the most famous high-performance, vegan athlete.

Hello,

I think these suggestions have been great - our relative predisposition and response to different diets has a genetic component that also needs to be heeded - that being said, I think humans can adapt quite well to a range of conditions - case in point are the New Guinea Highlanders, which subsist mostly on sweet potatoes and greens, eating pork only a few times a year at celebrations - I was brought up on meat (being a Texas boy), and had always taken as a given that I needed a lot of protein to keep my energy levels high - after reading T. Colin Campbell's The China Study, I've pushed my diet further and further towards vegetarianism and it has been quite eye-opening.

Here's my experience: My energy levels are the best they've ever been, so much so that I no longer need coffee. This will give you a rough idea of what I've been eating (again, nutrient dense is the key phrase here):

Breakfast

1 handful bee pollen

1 t spirulina

1 t chyawanprash

1 bowl steel-cut oats soaked in almond milk (I soak for 10 min, microwave for 3 min)

1 handful roasted peanuts or peas

Lunch

handful of bee pollen

1-2 bowls rice, potatoes and moong dal (or green peas, black beans,lentils, etc.)

or

boiled sweet potatoes + Sriracha garlic/chili sauce + 1t recaito

Dinner

handful of bee pollen

handful roasted peas

1-2 glasses carrot/celery/parsely/chili juice

or

quickly sauteed bok choy, greens with a dash of soy sauce

A lot of variations on the rice and beans theme to experiment with here - desserts are fruit (mango is a fav) - an added benefit of veg fiber is that this will help bind up a lot of industrial contaminants in your body and help you detox.

I also keep a record of what I'm eating and how I'm feeling with a particular food - over a long period of time, you will definitely learn what your body responds best to.

Cheers,

Rene'

One added note:

My reason for mentioning the NG Highlanders is because a friend of mine lived with them for a year and marveled at their physical development and stamina sans the animal protein. He told me they didn't even use seasoning on their sweet potatoes, just plain boiled, which he couldn't stomach for very long.

Also, on my diet, I can do things now, like do 100 chins a day (sets of 10-15), which I couldn't do years ago - the chins are just a part of my routine, which includes tabata intervals, rope skipping, and other body weight calesthenics - I'm 41, 5'10", 170 lbs, so I'm not that skinny.

Cheers,

R

If you don't have anything against organic eggs I suggest eating a lot (6+ /day) of them. They're really healthy (claims about cholesterol in eggs being bad for you is total BS, if anything, eating eggs has been shown to improve blood lipids). Here's an idea for a meal: http://paynowlivelater.blogspot.com/2009/0...ampions-so.html

If you get most of your protein from legumes, the problem is their antinutrients which reduce mineral absorption. This can be partly overcome by soaking/sprouting properly, but healthwise I'm not sure if it's that optimal. I don't know about protein shakes though. Even though the idea seems intuively a bit suspect, I could be wrong also..

Hello Tactile,

Interesting note about the antinutrients, this was also a concern of mine in the beginning as well, but it may actually be the opposite - Campbell addresses this common objection and notes that most studies on this seem to show better absorption overall, which seems counterintuitive - Check out The China Study for more here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=FIRLLcLjy...YG4GczQSDmZTOBA

Cheers,

R

Bill Pearl Vegetarian Bodybuilder (probably "supplemented" with steroids though). Has book with good info. Also can follow a Zone diet (low GI carbs with protein combo at every meal-whey/casein/soy/pea powders, beans etc. The key is regulating blood sugar levels to optimize sustained energy and prevent sugar cravings IMO.

I'm a white American. Ancestry is Italian and Polish. Perhaps it is genetic, because I don't function as well on vegetarianism. You would think that those of Asian ancestry may do better on vegetarian diets. Who knows.

Hi Guys/Gals,

Thanks heaps, I think I have to make a decision regarding Meat and my Spiritual path. I dont know if its a head f@ck type of deal this life, are we REALLY allowed to eat meat , DOES its REALLY matter???

You know what I mean, I just feel that if you have to flavour the meat to eat it then its not nice for me by itself. Meat to me taste horrible without herbs or sauces but if there is a afterlife with karmic effect of your spiirt/soul or whatever I feel I would like to make a change for the better.

Anyway thanks heaps guys, as you can see im stuck between reality and spiritual path I have yet to find proof of it all appart well jesus or buddha was a vegetarian etc.

So confusing..... :lol:

regards

Ape

Hi Guys/Gals,

Thanks heaps, I think I have to make a decision regarding Meat and my Spiritual path. I dont know if its a head f@ck type of deal this life, are we REALLY allowed to eat meat , DOES its REALLY matter???

You know what I mean, I just feel that if you have to flavour the meat to eat it then its not nice for me by itself. Meat to me taste horrible without herbs or sauces but if there is a afterlife with karmic effect of your spiirt/soul or whatever I feel I would like to make a change for the better.

Anyway thanks heaps guys, as you can see im stuck between reality and spiritual path I have yet to find proof of it all appart well jesus or buddha was a vegetarian etc.

So confusing..... :lol:

regards

Ape

Vortex,

I remember reading about Max saying to eat meat for his Kunlun, but you all know how I feel about him not judging about meat eating just him in general. But like to hear why he eats meat since he was suppose to be a Tibetan Lama, Daoist, Alien etc?

:) Garry

I don't think there is a proper vegetarian diet. I don't think vegetarianism is healthy unless you eat a loooootttttt of eggs. And good quality (raw) dairy.

Veganism is just a mess waiting to happen.

Just one man's opinion. :D

I am not sure that's true... I have been vegetarian, my whole family has been for generations and every other person I knew as a child was vegetarian. They ate no eggs, onions, garlic - leave alone meat. Most of the elders in my family lived till 100 and had perfect health. I doubt they took special care of their diet and they just ate normally. The traditional Indian food probably balances the requirements. I am in pretty good health myself (touch wood :) ), and all I do is take a vitamin and a protein supplement - and only for the last 2 years. I eat no eggs, but milk is a part of my diet. Vegetariansim probably does not work when it is forced and not natural. I know not what it is not be a vegetarian. :)

Edited by Siliconvalley1

I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years - mYTHISmAKER 35 years

Not strictly vegan but mostly.

We now eat one egg a week

Sometimes a little cheese

We are in good health and strong

Once again i refer you all to Dr joel Fuhrmans web site

http://www.drfuhrman.com/

Hi Guys,

I teach and do a lot of hard workouts but im looking at going Vegie for many reasons. But what Im looking for is proper vegetarian diet that has all the proper building blocks to repare muscles not neccessary build BIG muscle im not after big muscle cause im BIG enough im after the proper Daoist or Buddhist Vegie diet that will give me the energy to train hard, repare muscles, as well healthy lifestyle.

My diet knowledge really sucks thats something I do lack in, so anyone with some real good healthy Vegie eating and hard workout knowledge I would love to hear what you eat or train if you are a Vegie, not a VEGAN diet?!

I dont do body building like at a gym just hard kung fu as well soft kung fu some im after a vegie diet that helps my body, mind , spirit!!

comments?

regards

Garry aka Ape

I'm a vegetarian and I work out religiously.Somtimes I take soy protein, sometimes whey protein from wal mart since it's the cheapest.The body can only assimalate 40 -50 grams in one sitting,so you can take two scoops of [from walmart] whey and get 46 grams right there.Conventional bodybuilding wisdom advocates a gram per pound of bodyweight to pack on muscle. On occasion I'll consume creatine as well.Creatine breaks down to the atp molecule which is the energy molecule.Also mutivitamin/b-complex,soy milk,amino acids,there are other supplements that I could cite that would make you feel like superman on crack! L-arginine on a empty stomach can support the release of growth hormone.

Enouch,

I dont know much about this stuff as you can see, but I have been told that Creatine holds alot of water im not trying to add weight or muscle size im stocky already im actually looking to strip it more and get leaner. Mean while look at my spiritual path!

thanks bro

Garry

Enouch,

I dont know much about this stuff as you can see, but I have been told that Creatine holds alot of water im not trying to add weight or muscle size im stocky already im actually looking to strip it more and get leaner. Mean while look at my spiritual path!

thanks bro

Garry

There are grades of creatine, we are now in what fitness buffs call third generation creatine formulation.Kreealkyn creatine is suppose to be absorbed without a lot of water retention.Also some of the ester creatine support this process as well.Getting cut requires a energy deficit i.e. burning more calories than you consume. Just for reflection a pound of fat is composed of 3,400 calories,a pound of muscle? 600. Muscle is metabolicly active fat isn't it just sits there.A mile run may burn 150 calories two miles 300 but consider your food intake, the running will help with metabolism but any bodybuilder will tell you diet is supreme.

If you want power formulas that are legal...here are a few:Fat burners with synephrine,aka bitter organge in them.It's a milder chemical cousin to ephedra.Of course ephedra aka ma huang is very powerful and once again legal.But the mainstream chain stores won't sell it because they don't want to be sued by rich parents whose kids took the stuff irresponsibly.Look online,ephedra can help you work out for hours,work full time,study for hours if in school, and still have energy left over.Many of my friends lost tons of weight through ephedra and cardio.Caffine helps to neutralize feelings of fatigue and pain.Baking soda is a little known secret used by distance runners.It somehow prevents the build up of lactic acid.Cardio is suppose to be more effective for fat loss on a empty stomach.Sprinting increases growth hormone which is renown for eliminating body fat.Again l-arginine 3-5 grams on a empty stomach increases this hormone or its release.Delta brainwave sessions are known for increasing hgh.Perhaps look at[ carb consumption] fitness model diets,fitness models and bodybuilders know a hell of a lot about getting cut! Drug use aside.

If it's any consolation for six or more years I was fat near obesse.Now I have a physique like Bruce Lee's but with more muscle mass, or Daniel Goddard's t.v.'s beastmaster.So it's certainly possible. Good luck regarding the spiritual path, once you are super fit people will try and use you for their agendas-sex! Women and[gay guys] men.With women it's really bad because they aren't socialized to handle rejection like we are,so if she feels rejected, she turns all that infactuation into hate!

If you're looking to put on pounds and muscle -- simply eat more. It doesn't have to be protein.

If you're looking for maximum health overall, eat many different foods, changing the types of vegetables and fruits you eat every few days.

Simple as that.

Daochild,

No mate, not trying to add muscle but if it does through training and good eating of vegies so be it!

thanks

Ape