Spirit Ape

Best Book / DVDS on I CHING!

Hello,

Im looking for the BEST and deepest knowledge of the I ching in books or DVD's does anyone know any that is really good breakdowns and not a new agey type of I Ching?

regards

Ape

I may be willing to offer you some meterial referances on it.

I can't claim how good they are.

Although why are you looking for such meterial?

Do you not already know and understand the I Ching?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you do Liuhe Bafa.

Yes, LHBF and Primordial Chaos One Qi Palm, im researching something in connection with Magic trying to look for certain things and thought a real good I Ching book by someone that is into Magic or n Authoirty on I ching could give me some answers.

Do you feel the LHBF is in accordance with I Ching or is connected to the Book, LHBF Has 66 sections when Wun Yuen system has 64 sections like I Ching and connects with it more so then LHBF to be honest.

Ape

Ha ha synchronicity G I was just reading about the I Ching in the Hua Hu ching (yes chapter fifty-five vx3.taoist) and it seems like time to have a go, I usually use Tarot cards.

I have a few translations floating about I'm looking for a really basic / fundamental / beginners book i.e. I Ching for dummies but not a new age / poor translation.

Of the bums' I think it's Taomeow springs to mind as using the I Ching a lot. But her level of knowledge is well above what I'm looking for. I need to start at the beginning.

I am not sure how good the following are, but these are what I use:

1. There is the Richard Wilhelm/Cary F. Baynes translation which seems pretty okay to me.

2. Alfred Huang's book on I Ching seems very detailed. I admit however I have read in only in parts.

3. For a novice, to start with, Oliver Perottet's book seems to be the best.

4. Anthony Clark & Richard Gil's book for quick reference.

I'm not sure if this will be of use to you, but Allen Pittman's last book, Walking the I Ching is about a linear form of Gao style Bagua that has 64 movements. Each corresponds to a hexagram.

Yes, LHBF and Primordial Chaos One Qi Palm, im researching something in connection with Magic trying to look for certain things and thought a real good I Ching book by someone that is into Magic or n Authoirty on I ching could give me some answers.

Do you feel the LHBF is in accordance with I Ching or is connected to the Book, LHBF Has 66 sections when Wun Yuen system has 64 sections like I Ching and connects with it more so then LHBF to be honest.

Ape

Interesting

Yes I feel the LHBF is in accordance with the I Ching.

Peace, Genuinely,

wt

I'm not sure if this will be of use to you, but Allen Pittman's last book, Walking the I Ching is about a linear form of Gao style Bagua that has 64 movements. Each corresponds to a hexagram.

Good to know!

Peace and Genuinely,

wt

Edited by WhiteTiger

One Chi Palm System is totally out of this world with the movements and names that go with it, creation and a journey through time, into the future, the void not like LHBF but LHBF is a very powerful art and deep system all the same I prefer One Chi Palm and is one of many treasures I have. Created by 2 of Lao Tzu's disciples so kind of gives you something what Lao Tzu was teaching and how they carried it on.

Ape

One Chi Palm System is totally out of this world with the movements and names that go with it, creation and a journey through time, into the future, the void not like LHBF but LHBF is a very powerful art and deep system all the same I prefer One Chi Palm and is one of many treasures I have. Created by 2 of Lao Tzu's disciples so kind of gives you something what Lao Tzu was teaching and how they carried it on.

Ape

Journey through time is a quite important subject. Some practices take you back in time others take you to the future.

Going to the future is a great way to heal yourself, as well as not needing to heal yourself by correcting the things through going back in time. Both are important and good practices. I think functionally each serves a different roles though.

Whom is your teacher or master that taught you One Chi Palm System?

Could you share any information video footage or something you can share about your master of your systems please.

3. For a novice, to start with, Oliver Perottet's book seems to be the best.

Book in a box

or

Visual I Ching

?

May not be what I'm after, perhaps I want 2 things (edit or 3)

1. A really good translation that I can use to cast coins, read that hexagram, than then allow my mind to give me it's interpretation on how that hexagram relates to my question (i.e. like how tarot cards work)

So yes Wilhem seem very popular

2. A book for beginers on how to actually use the I Ching in the Taoist fasion i.e. Like how Modern Magick teaches western magick

perhaps Huang

3. I'm not sure if I can "invest" in the traditional I Ching yet so perhaps even this Llewellyn

In his new book I Ching for Beginners, Mark McElroy makes this often-ponderous oracle accessible to a new generation. He admits that this book is not a translation nor is it a traditional or scholarly exposition. Nevertheless, I Ching for Beginners provides everything you need to quickly consult-and apply-the wisdom found in the Book of Changes.

Even if you're not into divination, Mark makes the case that the I Ching provides opportunity for reflection, enhances our perception, encourages awareness of impact, and moderates our responses. Often leading individuals by the hand to the "middle way", the I Ching dispenses wise advice for those seeking insight

Because I don't really care about divination, but I like the perspective Tarot Cards can give to situations, this is sort of where I want to start out.

1. A really good translation that I can use to cast coins, read that hexagram, than then allow my mind to give me it's interpretation on how that hexagram relates to my question (i.e. like how tarot cards work)

So yes Wilhem seem very popular

2. A book for beginers on how to actually use the I Ching in the Taoist fasion i.e. Like how Modern Magick teaches western magick

perhaps Huang

3. I'm not sure if I can "invest" in the traditional I Ching yet so perhaps even this Llewellyn

Because I don't really care about divination, but I like the perspective Tarot Cards can give to situations, this is sort of where I want to start out.

I have a copy of Wu Wei's I-Ching. Gives detailed instructions on yarrow sticks (he's totally against coins). Everything is in straight ahead easy to understand English. I'm a total I-Ching novice and have not really embraced the oracle yet, so I have no idea of whether or not Wu Wei has done a sound job of translating. However I came away with the impression that he has a tremendous respect and devotion for the work, and the instructions on using the I-Ching are worth the cost of the book.

Cool I was hoping for a sticks vs coins issue.

Personally I'm not too interested in divination. So my personal bias is towards the best interpreation of current influences that I can make rather than a better casting. That why I use really simple Tarot layouts.

However I acknowledge the I Ching is a bit more prescriptive as to the correct course of action for situations, so better casting may be of more benefice and sticks always get recomended over coins.

After spending a bit of time reading Wilhem and Huang on the net I remember why I never really bothered to get into the I Ching. It's not easy to wade through. In fact I think I've got Wilhem collecting dust somewhere as attempting to read felt familaurly frustrating.

Perhaps I should just get Pat's poems :)

The yarrow sticks take a bit longer to work through, while coins go pretty quickly. Also there is a decision by the user to divide the stack of sticks at the beginning of the process . Therefore you have an opportunity for the sub-conscious mind to get involved. Also because of the nature of the stick method, the mathematical chances of getting a moving line are far less than coins so it's said to be more accurate.

After reading the last few threads on the I Ching here, my inclination is to simply read the work for it's own sake and not worry about the divination. For that purpose, the Wu Wei translation should be good.

Of all the members here at the Bums, Pat and Taomeow seem to be most devoted to the oracle.

Edited by Eric23

BTT payday soon = book buying day :lol: suggestions appreciated

I have no recall of who wrote this (I think it might have been Dan Ariely) but also could be interesting to check on how you feel when an "answer" is read. The example he used was a coin flip:

- what do you want the answer to be? Why?

- when you get the answer, what would you have preferred it to be? Why?

Of all the versions I have collected and have read/seen/used, I currently use only one, which is better than the original (bear with me) in that it gives all historic meanings for every term used in the original, which is something even a native speaker/reader of Chinese wouldn't know! It offers a "field' of all possible meanings for each word, so you're not stuck with any particular translator's creative interpretations, scholarly or philosophical or linguistic limitations, personal opinions, preferences, or biases. Highly recommended.

http://books.google.com/books?id=a8NlooeZG...lt&resnum=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always found Hua Ching Ni's "Book of Changes and the Unchanging Truth" to be most useful. It is good for both the beginner and the advanced student in that it outlines the basics of how the bagua was formed and then goes into extended detail. Master Ni prefers the seed method and I have found it also to be both simple to use and very revealing and accurate.

9780937064818.jpg

The yarrow sticks take a bit longer to work through, while coins go pretty quickly. Also there is a decision by the user to divide the stack of sticks at the beginning of the process . Therefore you have an opportunity for the sub-conscious mind to get involved. Also because of the nature of the stick method, the mathematical chances of getting a moving line are far less than coins so it's said to be more accurate.

After reading the last few threads on the I Ching here, my inclination is to simply read the work for it's own sake and not worry about the divination. For that purpose, the Wu Wei translation should be good.

Of all the members here at the Bums, Pat and Taomeow seem to be most devoted to the oracle.

Thanks for noticing! :) Yes, devoted, grateful, amazed, blown away... but first and foremost, pragmatic. I use it for divination, though not only for divination. I don't think I would understand her to the extent I do (whatever THAT is :lol: ) if I didn't make a habit of divination. It's like all taoist arts and sciences -- one learns it by doing it. I divine; things I was divining come to pass, happen, or don't happen, in this way or that way; and that's when -- and only then -- and that's how -- and that's why -- I come to understand completely (or as close to completely as my lil' brain can come) what it was exactly the I Ching meant when she said what she said.

The I Ching is not unlike yin zhi (if someone doesn't know what I'm talking about, I'll elaborate later) --

in that you get your "aha" moments in hindsight. Without the divination, no aha. And no relationship. (That's another thing I believe -- that you divine, among other things, for the same reason you call a friend on the phone even if there's no "reason" -- just to keep in touch, just to keep the relationship alive...)

• Like 1

I read the one by Wei Wu Wei.

Do you reckon you could do the I-Ching by just looking at the symbols, with no explanation of the hexagrams?

Or you could use the tarot.....

Or you could do dowsing....

I had to give my brain a rest. Apparently you can use anything for divination. So in this respect are the eight hexagrams arbitrary?

I have a question, which I can't seem to make sense of by browsing the net...

What's the point of throwing sticks or coins...couldn't you just flip to a random page or something?

• Like 1

I have a question, which I can't seem to make sense of by browsing the net...

What's the point of throwing sticks or coins...couldn't you just flip to a random page or something?

I have a good friend who does just that with happy results- for her- for me - I choose coins. It helps me settle into my question and contemplate better...

Many thanks Mal - for yr kind interest in the Wayfarer Sonnets- I hope you enjoy them - I would be happy to send you a personal note to keep with the book if ya buy it.-Pat