christoff

how to prevent nocturnal emissions?

Hi,

I'm 29 and have begun Mantak Chia's exercise "seal the leaking door" from his book Taoist Secrets of Love: Cultivating Male Sexual Energy. It seemed to work at first, unfortunately I still experience nocturnal emissions once or twice a week, just at the stage when I feel I am developing some power. At first I thought it might be ok since I am still young but lately I have begun to notice some signs of kidney weakness; lumbago, sore teeth, lack of willpower and no libido, which I never had before. Things seem to be getting worse and now that its winter I am even more worried to have emissions.

So I am wondering how if at all I can improve what I am currently doing to prevent nocturnal emissions? I do all of important things: don't drink 2 hrs before sleep, my sheets aren't hot and I don't wear tight underwear to bed. I am also doing microcosmic orbit meditation every day. Finally I avoid lustful thoughts and images and do deep breathing for 20 mins.

Thanks in advance,

Christoff

Best wishes with your practice, I hope things work out for you, have you looked at http://www.alchemicaltaoism.com/ ? Great stuff there from Trunk and I'd really like to quote this

Healthy Perspective?

Actually, I think that long term semen retention is askew of a primary healthy goal - but is close enough to the truth to be attractive. Let me explain.

It's like this. First, you are convinced that saving sexual energy is a good thing - and with that belief you generate some dedication. Next, you learn how to engage in (one, or several rounds of) sex and yet abstain from ejaculation. So, you store more male sexual energy, and you grow in polarity as more is saved... Inevitably, a strong polarity will express, you'll ejaculate, perhaps against your beliefs and will. And you reap the pleasure of orgasm, the depletion of ejaculation, and the psychological trauma of uncontrollably doing something against your will. Then, you follow your spiritually involved beliefs, you work to improve: you save sexual energy... and the cycle repeats. This sort of cycle can be frustrating in the short term, and over the course of years can cause serious harm.

The strange thing that happened to me with nocturnals was I actually started to recognize the sensations of an approaching EJ when dreaming. After a while Icould actually wake up from the dream in time to practice retention. This was less succesfull in dreams that were not overtly sexual and sometimes the dream wasn't remembered at all.

You mention developing power which is why I wanted to use the "cycle" quote above. While I don't specifically practice retention I do seem to be moving towards wanting less EJ, could be to do with age (35) I notice that when things go espicially well with practice retention is very natural. But when things get out of balance retention can be impossible untill that excess energy is spent, things settle back down, and you start to build again.

So please don't be disappointed by this if it happens. The body is quite clever and knows what to do if we can stop interfering long enough for it to heal itself :D

I would recommend stopping all Chia practice.

Stop microcosmic orbit!

stop injaculating!

this is what I have found from my practice:

my main practice, involving spontaneous movement, re-distributes the stored sexual essence throughout the body, but especially the bones and belly.

If I start concentrating somewhere specific - like up the spine, the energy, if it encounters a blockage, starts pooling... and unless you have done a lot of qigong, you're very likely to have quite a few blockages... what happens is the energy pools and when you sleep it slides back down the spine and collects in your sexual centre, making it far more likely to 'come out'...

I can't recommend anything specific for you to do, apart from stopping what you're doing now, because you may damage yourself. Check out Trunk's site... focus on opening your up body...

good luck.

Stop microcosmic orbit!

stop injaculating!

I can't recommend anything specific for you to do, apart from stopping what you're doing now, because you may damage yourself.

I am not sure but i think that testicle breathing is a safe practice because you only work with unaroused, cold sexual energy. Testicle breathing might help you with your problem. It helped me to some degree. Moreover, i experienced that sitting in half or full lotus also helps.

Wow,

thankyou all for your quick replies and meangingful advice. I am understanding that to lose semen is ok since it is the body's wisdom.

Stop microcosmic orbit!

stop injaculating!

my main practice, involving spontaneous movement, re-distributes the stored sexual essence throughout the body, but especially the bones and belly.

Unfortunately I am not convinced that it is healthy for me to ejaculate once or twice a week because I was told by Chinese Dr I am low in jing already (I have no libido) and it is winter here so I am even more scared to lose. Hence I would rather injaculate than ejac. But your main practice sounds effective, what is it?

Trunk's site looks good, I will try tan tien bridge breathing and also testicle breathing.

Thanks again

Some extra things you could look into...

In Dr. Baolin Wu's qigong book, one exercise to do is flick and rub the ears to make them red and hot...which heals the kidneys. After starting doing this a few times a day for a couple of weeks, I have noticed a great improvement in the upward draw.

A common thing for the Chinese to do is eat and drink warm things. Cold things apparently mess with the kidney yang. Drinking warm water is actually kind of enjoyable...it's just like tea without the scent or flavor...now I actually prefer it to cold water.

In Taoist Yoga by Charles Luk, gentle and even abdominal breathing is used for the microcosmic orbit. When you do it, make sure that the diaphragm is going to the kidneys a little bit as well (instead of only the front abdomen)...this specific type of breathing is more like "dan tien breathing" which you can find by a google search.

And also, you might want to go to a different Chinese doctor just to get a second opinion on the issue. It's pretty common for people to lose their libido if they don't regularly ejaculate.

Stop microcosmic orbit!

stop injaculating!

this is what I have found from my practice:

If I start concentrating somewhere specific - like up the spine, the energy, if it encounters a blockage, starts pooling... and unless you have done a lot of qigong, you're very likely to have quite a few blockages... what happens is the energy pools and when you sleep it slides back down the spine and collects in your sexual centre, making it far more likely to 'come out'...

I can't recommend anything specific for you to do, apart from stopping what you're doing now, because you may damage yourself. Check out Trunk's site... focus on opening your up body...

good luck.

I agree with above. Disaster waiting to happen IMO. Orbit is fine ONCE a person develops a strong Dan Tian but not good before. Rest of stuff IMO is just something that shouldn't be practiced.

Have you tried simple squats with weights? Start small weight and move up after a few weeks.

You may wish to try the exercise in one of Daniel Reid's books where a person raises their arms over their head with palms facing but not touching. On the way of getting the arms up the anal sphincter muscles get locked and the tailbone tucked for a breath count. Don't remember the name of the exercise - do not try it from this description and get the book with the diagrams.

Edited by Ya Mu

Whenever you're aroused, imagine ejaculating internally. Visualize having the sexual energy coupling within you. Rewiring your concept of sex, (ejaculating/leading the sexual energy outwards) so that the whole energy becomes accustomed to internal "release" can be beneficial. Avoiding and suppressing the energy is what causes leakage at night. Sexual energy is an essential part of you. Yogani tells people to totally forget about ejaculating. Also, let the energy spread by doing basic qi gong movements and ground, ground, ground!

DON'T DO PHYSICAL BLOCKING IN CHIA'S BOOKS!! YOU WILL BE PRONE TO INFECTIONS AND DAMAGE TO THE BLADDER!!

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Wow thanks again everyone for your quick and informative replies.

Scotty, thanks for the great suggestions. With regards to drinking warm water, absolutely, and you can also drink "yin/yang water". 40% boiling water / 60% room temperature water and then add a spoonful of honey. Tastes fantastic.

DON'T DO PHYSICAL BLOCKING IN CHIA'S BOOKS!! YOU WILL BE PRONE TO INFECTIONS AND DAMAGE TO THE BLADDER!!

Hi Lucky, just wondering what you are referring to exactly here - big draw, seal the leaking door, etc.?

Honestly I haven't tried simple squats yet, my legs feel sore and weak for some reason.

I forgot to ask has anyone actually been able to DO seal the leaking door exercises completely? 36 reps, 5 times a day, with each rep at least 1-2 mins. That's 180-360 mins, or 3-6 hrs A DAY. Or can you achieve the same success with half or a third the number of reps?

Christoff

Scotty, thanks for the great suggestions. With regards to drinking warm water, absolutely, and you can also drink "yin/yang water". 40% boiling water / 60% room temperature water and then add a spoonful of honey. Tastes fantastic.

Yes I drink yin/yang water everyday...except without the honey. Not necessary!

Stop microcosmic orbit!

stop injaculating!

Check out Trunk's site... focus on opening your up body...

good luck.

Golden advice :)

Do you do any zazen/anapanasati/vipashyana type of exercise as well? I would ... :)

Edited by Siliconvalley1

what freeform said plus eat tofu and drink soymilk and meditate upon the heart instead of dantian

what I observed was that I ejaculate when dantian is too hot and kidney lack of jing because of the hotness and all the jing evaporates. nocturnal ejaculation is a sign that there is too much Yang in dantian, so the solution is to cooldown. try it and you'll see that works. especially in the nights with full moon, when the energy of the night is too yang. also dont cool down too much especially in winter you can catch a cold, when you feel the energy is cold, stop eating tofu and meditate more upon the fire in the heart. is just a matter of tunning, to find a balance between Yin and Yang.

(later edit)

also, you can know the kidney state by the bags under the eyes, if you have sucked eyes and dark shades under the eyes that means too much Yang in the kidney, if you have bags with water under the eyes that means the kidney are full of jing/Yin. the best is not too much, not too little. everyone doing qigong exercises are doing too much thinking that the more practice the better, but that is not true, one should learn to stop the practice when the purpose of that particular practice is achieved or the limits of their organism does not allow further progression - which can be due to genetics. energy allways change, so the practice should change accordingly.

Edited by steam

Unfortunately I am not convinced that it is healthy for me to ejaculate once or twice a week because I was told by Chinese Dr I am low in jing already (I have no libido) and it is winter here so I am even more scared to lose. Hence I would rather injaculate than ejac.

Injaculating will not (in my oppinion) reserve your jing at all. You will end up redirecting it in your bladder and pissing it out... at the same time creating stagnation and damaging the 'piping'...

If you're really set on conserving sexual jing, just stop masturbating... stop arousing yourself and you will see that in two weeks it will be much easier... you have low libido as it is, so why would you want to in or ejaculate at all?

If you do stop all sexual activity, you will need to do a lot of exercise and the breathing as suggested by others.

In the mornings when you wake up, sit on the edge of your bed, bend forward, rub your hands together until warm and then rub your kidneys as you breath slowly and deeply into the area... rubbing your ears is good too... get a tennis ball and massage your soles by pressing onto it and rolling the ball under your foot.

The reason you got such a quick and thorough response is because we've seen it before and most of us know the dangers and can see how you might really damage yourself.

The reason you got such a quick and thorough response is because we've seen it before and most of us know the dangers and can see how you might really damage yourself.

Hi Christoff,

I totally agree with the above mentioned,

practicing those techniques can cause damages.

Why putting force and controll onto something that natural like your sexuality?

Retention techniques can become an obsession,I say can because I think there maybe ways in which those practices can work,anyway NOT from books and NOT by working pressure and tension/contractions in your body.

Doesn`t it make more sense to focus on relaxation,using common sense and the feeling for what seems natural?

Practicing ChiGung a/o internal martial arts will build up your jing in a more harmonious way,which increases your sexual energy as well.

Damages done can throw you back in your development and take long time to be fixed.

Just my opinions,I wish you joy and sucess.

Just wanted to throw in a question here...:

How can one achieve orgasm without ejaculation without the use of the mco or PC/anal muscles?

What would be a good way to achieve this without straining something? Just get close to orgasm and stop and train your body that way? No conscious leading of energy with the thought?

Cheers!

Hi Lucky, just wondering what you are referring to exactly here - big draw, seal the leaking door, etc.?

Christoff

There are practices mentioned in few "Taoist" texts that suggest physically blocking the tip of the penis to stop the semen from ejaculating (Chia calls this "squeezing" I think). This will make you injaculate the "physical" jing, but the actual essence will be wasted anyway once there is the external energetic release.

There is also the method where you press the perineum to force the erection to reside ("finger lock"/"million dollar point").

Everything that Dao Zhen said in the thread posted by Creation is the proper way to cultivate your sexual energy. Dig around, there are good tips regarding this from other more experienced practitioners.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

what freeform said plus eat tofu and drink soymilk and meditate upon the heart instead of dantian

what I observed was that I ejaculate when dantian is too hot and kidney lack of jing because of the hotness and all the jing evaporates. nocturnal ejaculation is a sign that there is too much Yang in dantian, so the solution is to cooldown. try it and you'll see that works. especially in the nights with full moon, when the energy of the night is too yang. also dont cool down too much especially in winter you can catch a cold, when you feel the energy is cold, stop eating tofu and meditate more upon the fire in the heart. is just a matter of tunning, to find a balance between Yin and Yang.

Hi Steam, interesting.

Can you tell us more about meditating on the heart. When I use to work with Chia we learned not to focus on the heart too much to avoid having too much energy in the heart. And we all ended up there, one way or the other. To get the energy away from the heart it took ages. Some 6 months, and it would happen naturally. Any practice seemed to just not do nothing, or make things worse.

Now I know a couple of practices from Bruce which also involves the heart. But since I don't master them I don't speak about them. They are more about dissolving the the middle tan tien.

But this is something different:

Can you tell us more about your meditation on the heart?

Do you concentrate on the heart?

On the physical heart or generally on the middle tan tien (i.e. in the center)?

Do you not get too much energy in the heart.

Is there any particular worrying sign someone need to take care of, to avoid damaging himself.

You say:

...everyone doing qigong exercises are doing too much thinking that the more practice the better, but that is not true, one should learn to stop the practice when the purpose of that particular practice is achieved or the limits of their organism does not allow further progression...

I really like this. And it goes very well with Bruce which will tell you not only what to do, but also what is the aim. SOmething which I find often to be missing in others teaching.

So what are the aim of concentrating on the heart?

I have a hard time (heart time :) ) thinking you can concentrate on the heart to cool the energy...

Many thanks,

Pietro

P.S. if they are too many questions please answer only the ones you are confortable with. :)

One of the biggest mistakes we can make is the false belief that one sizes fits all. What is good for Fred might spell disaster for Barney.

To meditate on one particular organ without a comprhensive understanding of your personnel energetic and physical make up is foolish to say the least.

The idea of semen retention without a full understanding of the state of your jing,qi and shen is nothing short of sheer ignorance.

Depending on circumstances for some ejaculation can be beneficial and supportive while for others it is depleteing.

To store up jing by withholding ejaculation and not fully understanding what we are doing is like shutting the dam gates while the rain is pouring eventual its gonna overflow i.e nocturnal emmission.

That is why it so important to realise our constutional makeup,how our ingrain views of the world effect our organs, what it is the most beneficial way for us as individuals to express the Dao which is unique to ourselves.

What season is good for us to gather and what season is good to release?What hour of the day is good for us to be active and what hour is good to relax?

If you don't know become familiar with your pulse it never lies.

So often people write I have weak kidney jing. Well what does this mean? Does this mean the lungs aren't supporting the kidneys?Does this mean inwardly deep seated fears of death and loss are draining the fire from mingmen,are we talking of preheaven yang jing,or post heaven acquired jing?Is our jing weak all day or at the hours between 5pm and 7pm.?

Can withhold ejaculation in the winter the same as in the spring and expect to have the same outcome?

Any prescription that falls under the catagory "one size fits all" is dubious to say the least and should be consider for what it is.

So what are the aim of concentrating on the heart?

I have a hard time (heart time :) ) thinking you can concentrate on the heart to cool the energy...

Hi Pietro,

First of all I must tell you I have no master and I don't belong to any particular school. I am just a loner which experiments on myself and what I will say is my experience. I read Mantak's books and I tried to practice, I had some results, I did mistakes and that are my conclusions. Usually the qigong books and maybe some or majority of teachers teach the techniques but what they don't teach is for what type of man are designed the techniques, what kind of living style, what is the purpose of the technique and when to stop or what are the signs that shows you the technique achieved the results. So I suppose here comes the role of the master which have to supervise and to lead one on the path.

Once I met a man who told me "hey you know? you should focus more on the heart and use more often the sound HA". At that time I knew that HA sound is related to heart but I had no idea what has to do with me. I always felt myself having a cold energy in my whole body and usually people perceived me as a cold person with a cold heart - phlegmatic psychological type. So I naturally was drawn to the Taoist practices of Taichi and to the sexual Taoist practices of Mantak Chia. What I achieved was a hot lower dantian and still a cold heart, with a lot of sexual problems and unresolved emotional problems.

I searched the causes and I found out that my energetic structure was already imbalanced by the astrological influences (the Four pillars of destiny) and that the practice did even more imbalance. So I found out that 'energetically' I already have a natural tendency toward a cold heart, lungs and spleen-pancreas/stomach and a hot liver and kidneys.

Now the Taoist practices of MC (MCO and stuff) are designed to draw the heat of the heart into the belly and to lift the cold of the kidneys up to the heart in order to "cool the heart". But that practice is for people with hot hearts and cool kidneys. Peoples with hot hearts usually have red faces, sometimes baldness and peoples with cold kidneys usually tend to keep water in the body and have fluid bags under the eyes.

I observed that many Chinese seniors have fluid bags under the eyes and I knew that this is a sign of "Jing abundance in the kidneys" but I had no idea why and I was sure that this was due to the food and not some secret qigong, until I found out from Dr.Lin's site that the main reason is the soy products in their cooking.

So, i believe that soy products (and not only soy but all kinds of beans, lentils especially "mung beans") replenish the kidney with Jing and cool down the energy of the body. But after some time the body can cool too much and especially in the winter one should warm up through warming foods and warming meditation which I believe and I experimented myself that is meditation on the heart in lotus or semi-lotus position. Also I found out that the posture itself warms the kidneys and allow a natural balance between heat of the heart and fluids of the kidneys. Also I observed that making these adjustments I have no longer nocturnal emissions even if I have nocturnal/morning erections or sexual dreams. So I believe that a very important thing is the chemical balance in the body/sexual organs more than the mind state or the meditation technique or whatever.

I believe that the spiritual practice whatever it is should balance the individual taking into account the genetics, the astrology influences, the climate in which the individual lives, social environment, the life style, the food intake and everything else because all of them are related by respecting the 5 elements Taoist paradigm. I think even if you are single or in a relationship makes a very big difference in the energetics of the body, and the practice should differ accordingly.

Just a final idea, for instance Mantak Chia advises for women to cultivate the energy in the heart when they have the period. I was wondering why, and I have found out that the natural mechanism in women trigger the period by heating up the womb. The more heated the ovaries the more blood flows. I think the same mechanism applies in case of men, the more heat in the kidney/sexual organs/prostate the more nocturnal emissions/precum leaking/ejaculation problems, which was confirmed by my experience and so many similar experiences I find on this forum. So I think sexual alchemy should be done with caution and with a full understanding of how the body of the individual works. I think people should be taught not only to build up/crystallize energy but also to disperse/dissolve it. It's like driving a car, it's not only acceleration, but also switching gears and using the breaks.

Hi Pietro,

First of all I must tell you I have no master and I don't belong to any particular school. I am just a loner which experiments on myself and what I will say is my experience. I read Mantak's books and I tried to practice, I had some results, I did mistakes and that are my conclusions. Usually the qigong books and maybe some or majority of teachers teach the techniques but what they don't teach is for what type of man are designed the techniques, what kind of living style, what is the purpose of the technique and when to stop or what are the signs that shows you the technique achieved the results. So I suppose here comes the role of the master which have to supervise and to lead one on the path.

Once I met a man who told me "hey you know? you should focus more on the heart and use more often the sound HA". At that time I knew that HA sound is related to heart but I had no idea what has to do with me. I always felt myself having a cold energy in my whole body and usually people perceived me as a cold person with a cold heart - phlegmatic psychological type. So I naturally was drawn to the Taoist practices of Taichi and to the sexual Taoist practices of Mantak Chia. What I achieved was a hot lower dantian and still a cold heart, with a lot of sexual problems and unresolved emotional problems.

I searched the causes and I found out that my energetic structure was already imbalanced by the astrological influences (the Four pillars of destiny) and that the practice did even more imbalance. So I found out that 'energetically' I already have a natural tendency toward a cold heart, lungs and spleen-pancreas/stomach and a hot liver and kidneys.

Now the Taoist practices of MC (MCO and stuff) are designed to draw the heat of the heart into the belly and to lift the cold of the kidneys up to the heart in order to "cool the heart". But that practice is for people with hot hearts and cool kidneys. Peoples with hot hearts usually have red faces, sometimes baldness and peoples with cold kidneys usually tend to keep water in the body and have fluid bags under the eyes.

I observed that many Chinese seniors have fluid bags under the eyes and I knew that this is a sign of "Jing abundance in the kidneys" but I had no idea why and I was sure that this was due to the food and not some secret qigong, until I found out from Dr.Lin's site that the main reason is the soy products in their cooking.

So, i believe that soy products (and not only soy but all kinds of beans, lentils especially "mung beans") replenish the kidney with Jing and cool down the energy of the body. But after some time the body can cool too much and especially in the winter one should warm up through warming foods and warming meditation which I believe and I experimented myself that is meditation on the heart in lotus or semi-lotus position. Also I found out that the posture itself warms the kidneys and allow a natural balance between heat of the heart and fluids of the kidneys. Also I observed that making these adjustments I have no longer nocturnal emissions even if I have nocturnal/morning erections or sexual dreams. So I believe that a very important thing is the chemical balance in the body/sexual organs more than the mind state or the meditation technique or whatever.

I believe that the spiritual practice whatever it is should balance the individual taking into account the genetics, the astrology influences, the climate in which the individual lives, social environment, the life style, the food intake and everything else because all of them are related by respecting the 5 elements Taoist paradigm. I think even if you are single or in a relationship makes a very big difference in the energetics of the body, and the practice should differ accordingly.

Just a final idea, for instance Mantak Chia advises for women to cultivate the energy in the heart when they have the period. I was wondering why, and I have found out that the natural mechanism in women trigger the period by heating up the womb. The more heated the ovaries the more blood flows. I think the same mechanism applies in case of men, the more heat in the kidney/sexual organs/prostate the more nocturnal emissions/precum leaking/ejaculation problems, which was confirmed by my experience and so many similar experiences I find on this forum. So I think sexual alchemy should be done with caution and with a full understanding of how the body of the individual works. I think people should be taught not only to build up/crystallize energy but also to disperse/dissolve it. It's like driving a car, it's not only acceleration, but also switching gears and using the breaks.

Very good :)

To me it's no wonder that the Chinese masters don't easily share the knowledge they have on Sexual Gongfu.

Just look at what happens in the West: it's like, I'm trying to learn to ride a bike, but I don't get it the first time, I may end up with some scratched knees and elbows... to many of the seekers these outcomes simply suggest that one should stop learning to ride a bike! Ridiculous.

The 'sexual techniques' are suggested guidelines of personal research.

Now let me state that again: the techniquest are suggested guidelines to personal research.

To master 'sexual techniques' or any 'techniques' for that matter, is like taming a wild horse.

Until you become proficient, it takes time, hurt knees and backs, but eventually, the horse will listen to you, and then you 'master' the technique.

It's the normal, natural way.

Too many search for instantaneous results, or spontaneous development. Wasting alot of precious time.

Hi all,

Thank you again for sharing your ideas and experiences. In the interests of making easier for future readers I will be posting shortly a compilation of what seems to me the most common and effective strategies for semen retention.

Christoff

.. In the interests of making easier for future readers I will be posting shortly a compilation of what seems to me the most common and effective strategies for semen retention.

Retaining - over the course of one or several sessions of aroused activity - takes some work but is not all that difficult. It's refining what you've retained that is the more difficult task. Few people can do it. Most people end up saving trouble, which leads to more stubborn dis-harmony... typical of the pattern that you've described yourself as having, actually.

Cool what you've saved, refine it, return to stillness. If you can do that, well then that's something.

Some disturbing misinformation in this thread. Trunk's last post clears it up. Additional clarification: the jing to chi transition is done by capturing and moving the motive energy (chi) of the seminal fluids (jing) into the MCO before ejaculation (or injaculation...also not retention of jing).

Jing is an energy contained within a substance, (sexual) chi is an energy derived from the vibrational motion, by means of sexual excitation, of those substances.

Have a very strong BS muscle if succeed with capturing and moving this chi do you seek.

Know how to slip it into your MCO if utilize fully (chi -> shen) do you seek.