Sign in to follow this  
buscon

qigong empowerment question

Hi,

I'm reading the book 'qigong empowerment' and I've found it really good.

I just don't understand some exercise: the first ones of the taoist qigong, says to draw out your abdomen when you exhale and to draw it in when you inhale - can someone explain me why ?

I thought that the correct breathing was the opposite, pulling out the abdomen when you inhale and pulling it in when you exhale... :blink:

thanks in advance for explaination :)

tao & beats

It's called reverse breathing.

Truthfully I can't tell you why it's done, but a google search should provide you with some answers.

Edit:

Some Links:

http://formosaneijia.com/2007/dangers-of-r...eathing-qigong/

http://www.worldofmartialart.com/martial_a...g-exercise.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_breathing

Edited by DaoChild

I've actually already read in the forum about reverse breathing, and I've known also the possible problems.

That's why I asked some explanation in this thread: I don't understand why this section of the book starts with a reverse breathing technique, without even mention it.

is there anyone who read the book and can explain me why it uses this method ?

thx

I have the book and think it is good but is missing some detail on many of the exercises. it was never meant to be a one stop shop but and encyclopedia. So whatever you do i would seek out a more detailed source and use Qi empowerment as a reference. Reverse breathing drives energy into the lower dantien. But it can cause alot of problems if it starts to become habitual (programmed into nervous system) also people have enough trouble breathing in a natural pattern as it is, So it seems a little crazy to start doing reverse breathing until you can breate for REAL. Plus what alot of people dont realize and micheal winn has written about this is that the western energy body and body in genral is different than the asian one. Those breathing patterns may not be healthy for everyone.

Edited by Ramon25

Shou Yu Liang recommends the reversed breathing for virtually all qigong movements. He says this kind of breathing opens more than 10 meridians (don't remember the exact number). From what and how he teaches, he is not concerned about possible negative effects from the reverse breathing.

He might recommend normal breathing to calm down and settle qi in LDT. That encourages qi to be concentrated in that area after the active phase.

You can watch his show ''Tai Chi'' where he shows some qigong as well. I believe this show is available throghout the North America on channels specializing on yoga / qigong / spiritual stuff.

I've actually already read in the forum about reverse breathing, and I've known also the possible problems.

That's why I asked some explanation in this thread: I don't understand why this section of the book starts with a reverse breathing technique, without even mention it.

is there anyone who read the book and can explain me why it uses this method ?

thx

Hi Buscon,

Let me clarify something about that book. It is akin to many eastern texts being published now adays. They are reference books -- they technically aren't *DESIGNED* to show you how to learn techniques. Masters of all traditions are dying, so videos are being filmed and books are being written. Intermediate steps are being left out.

Many books leave out introductory techniques, precautions, and everything necessary to perform techniques. A perfect example is reverse breathing, as you have noticed. It isn't supposed to be done without a teacher, just like most of these Qigong techniques.

Find a safe Qigong program to do, like Spring Forest, Ken cohen, or Bruce Frantzis' system.

I have the book and think it is good but is missing some detail on many of the exercises. it was never meant to be a one stop shop but and encyclopedia. So whatever you do i would seek out a more detailed source and use Qi empowerment as a reference. Reverse breathing drives energy into the lower dantien. But it can cause alot of problems if it starts to become habitual (programmed into nervous system) also people have enough trouble breathing in a natural pattern as it is, So it seems a little crazy to start doing reverse breathing until you can breate for REAL. Plus what alot of people dont realize and micheal winn has written about this is that the western energy body and body in genral is different than the asian one. Those breathing patterns may not be healthy for everyone.

Why would the energy body of an asian person be different than my own? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Do we have different meridians?

Hi Buscon,

Let me clarify something about that book. It is akin to many eastern texts being published now adays. They are reference books -- they technically aren't *DESIGNED* to show you how to learn techniques. Masters of all traditions are dying, so videos are being filmed and books are being written. Intermediate steps are being left out.

Many books leave out introductory techniques, precautions, and everything necessary to perform techniques. A perfect example is reverse breathing, as you have noticed. It isn't supposed to be done without a teacher, just like most of these Qigong techniques.

Find a safe Qigong program to do, like Spring Forest, Ken cohen, or Bruce Frantzis' system.

Why would the energy body of an asian person be different than my own? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Do we have different meridians?

Well physically we are different and emotionaly aswell. The energetics around us are also different. Like for example the salivary glands and the pancreas of an asian can be 50% bigger than ours. Hence the whole of their metabolism will be different. Insulin sensitivity will be higher. Then we look at the actual structure. people in the east squat. they squat alot and will sit around for hours from childhood and into old age in a squat position while talking,eating, whatever, as a consequence there bones infuse in such a way that they can get into a rock bottom squat and their lower backs remain relativily str8, their knees dont take alot of pressure sense their is little restriction in the hips. So at their KWA, ROOT ect.. they are much more open and aligned in a much more natural manner than the average westerner who cant even squat rock bottom LET ALONE keep thier backs str8 and knees healthy. If you work at it eventually you may be able to get better at it but the bones are SET in childhood into puberty ect.. so right there is a drastic difference. We know that the physical body affects the energetic one. on a mind level asians tend to be much more community orientated and family orientated than westerners who are much more "fuck you this is my life" on average and on a collectice level. Also traditionally western traditions usually find meaning from without themselves and many eastern traditions put more emphasis on finding meaning from within. Our brains also work different in that our language is opposite to each other in structure and hence the sides of the brain and the way they interact with words and written words is opposite. We are much more left brained and chinese our more right brained on average. the sun rises in the east and sets in the west hence enviornmentally the energy is probably different. i mean we are pretty much opposites in many ways so hence something energetically is different as you can see.

Actually, doesn't Chunyi Lin from Spring Forest Qigong teach reverse breathing as well? Though the way he teaches it you don't do it as forcefully, he says to do it just 'a little'. And he doesn't tell you to forcefully push your stomach out, just to let it out.

Perhaps it's doing it too forcefully that causes problems?

From http://daily.finerminds.com/mind/healer-chunyi-lin/

Energy Breathing Step-by-Step:

* Sit or lie down in a comfortable position.

* Put a smile on your face (this helps relax your mind and body).

* Place the tip of your tongue gently against the roof of your mouth (this connects the two main energy channels in your body).

* Breathe through your nose in slow, gentle, deep breaths.

* As you breathe in, gently pull your lower stomach in a little.

* As you breathe out, let your stomach out.

Yin and Yang: The upper part of the body belongs to yang energy; the lower part of the body belongs to yin energy. Breathing in is a part of yin energy; breathing out is yang. One of the reasons we get sick is that yin and yang energies are not communicating well. By pulling your lower stomach in as you inhale and letting it out as you exhale, you are enhancing the communication of the yin and yang energies.

Edited by david2885

Hi Buscon,

thank you all for the clarifying answers.

I actually regulary practice some kung fu, and we also do some qigong - eventhought not that much.

Since two months I've started some qigong session alone. I've read quite good reviews about 'Qigong Empowerment', and I've also liked the different point of view - healing, taoism, buddism and wushu.

Anyway I also have Spring Forest, and I'll try to compare the two books :)

thank you again, any other advice, idea, opinion is welcome!

For safety and effectivness what I have read and talked to others about aswell as have had some expeirnce with, these books are at the top.

Opening your energy gates

relxaing into being

the great stillness

Qi Gong for Total Wellness: Increase Your Energy, Vitality, and Longevity with the Ancient 9 Palaces System from the White Cloud Monastery

transform stress into vitality

jin shin do: accupressure way to health

intuflow: from scott sonnon

Hi Buscon,

'Qigong empowerment' is indeed a very good book.

You don't have to worry about problems caused by reverse breathing that much. The only common problem i usually heard is chest pain which is caused by contracting your abdomen too much and too hard (thus creating sudden pressure in your abdomen and chest). Just contract it gently, there should be no problem.

And i kind of disagree with the idea of using the book only for reference. Every technique mentioned in the book was meant for self-training.Except for Gathering the Spirit Method and 7 Star Big Dipper Method (pg 121-123), which must be directly taught by a qualified master/teacher. If you follow the instructions closely, you don't have to worry.

Happy training!

Qigongaddict

Edited by Qigongaddict

Sign in to follow this