volcaniclastic

New to Taoism

I've taken a recent interest in taoism, and I'd like to incorporate it from a pagan perspective. But where do I start?

You cannot read about the Tao, you must be the Tao. You can't describe the Tao, you must experience the Tao (blah, blah, blah)...but how am I to do this if I don't know what taoism is first?

I've read Tao of Pooh (twice, in the last two days) - and there is definitely something to be desired in Taoism, in my opinion. Is the Tao Te Ching hard to read?

I've browsed the site, but there is so much. Some starting points would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi volcaniclastic,

You should have no problem integrating Taoism with pagan beliefs. After all, at some point they were all related.

A good place to start? The tao of pooh is good, but I would also recommend "The Tao of Daily Life". It presents parables to go with many of the major teachings of Taoism.

Aside from that, since I assume you are referring to the philosophical side, get a basic understanding of concepts and try to live by them. That will give you a deeper feel for what Taoism is, and living in accordance with the Tao.

Welcome to the boards

You cannot read about the Tao, you must be the Tao. You can't describe the Tao, you must experience the Tao (blah, blah, blah)...but how am I to do this if I don't know what taoism is first?

Well, Lao Tzu had a very good go at descrbing the Tao; and those who went before him laid it out in great detail. They looked at how the universe was structured and how it moved, and they had few concerns about explaining it (Wuji, taiji, yin-yang, five phases, bagua, 64 hexagrams); so I wouldn't worry too much: you're in good company!

Think of it like riding a bicycle: you can read all about which bicycle is best for you and which accessories you can buy; you can talk about good cycle paths in your area and listen to other people's experience on riding weekends, all of which is valuable information and very inspiring. But in the end, you have to get on a bicycle and ride it.

It's the same with Tao. You can talk about how it works, how to recognise its patterns, and how to assist its processes even though, eventually, you have to just live it. Don't forget, the father of Taosim, Fuxi, was a farmer and fisherman, and another significant figure, Yu, was an engineer who built canals and irrigation systems, all rooted in knowledge of Tao; so it isn't awaysl enigmatic and mysterious: it is often clear and practical.

A good place to start, in my opinion, is The Tao of Daily Living by Derek Lin, recommended also by DaoChild, that takes traditional Chinese stories and applies them to modern life; Stephen Karcher's Ta Chuan, which is a very old text about how change works; the Chuang Tzu with its inspiring and rich story-telling; and the books of Eva Wong, which has inestimable value for anyone who wants to know about Tao.

Richard

Is the Tao Te Ching hard to read?

No. I like the Derek Lin version. It is recognised as being a very accurate translation; but the layout is interesting as it has the text on one page and the author's annotations on a facing page, thus separating the words of Lao Tzu and the opinion of the translator as much as possible and leaving interpretation up to you. It's very clearly written.

The chapters, minus the annotations, are available for free here: http://taoism.net/ttc/home.htm .

Richard

Edited by Uncle Screwtape

Think of it like riding a bicycle: you can read all about which bicycle is best for you and which accessories you can buy; you can talk about good cycle paths in your area and listen to other people's experience on riding weekends, all of which is valuable information and very inspiring. But in the end, you have to get on a bicycle and ride it.

I hadn't thought of it that way before. Tao doesn't seem so great and mysterious that way.

A good place to start, in my opinion, is The Tao of Daily Living by Derek Lin, recommended also by DaoChild, that takes traditional Chinese stories and applies them to modern life; Stephen Karcher's Ta Chuan, which is a very old text about how change works; the Chuang Tzu with its inspiring and rich story-telling; and the books of Eva Wong, which has inestimable value for anyone who wants to know about Tao.

I'll take a look for it next time I'm at the bookstore. Mind, I may have to buy it online - the Taoism section of the bookstore nearby is only a half shelf worth of books.

No. I like the Derek Lin version. It is recognised as being a very accurate translation; but the layout is interesting as it has the text on one page and the author's annotations on a facing page, thus separating the words of Lao Tzu and the opinion of the translator as much as possible and leaving interpretation up to you. It's very clearly written.

I found a version online last night and printed it, translated by S. Mitchell. I don't recall what website I found it at, but I've read a few chapters of it so far. Also, I found an online copy of the TTC - a modern translation by Ron Hogan, which pretty much takes the TTC and paraphrases it into something more modern and understandable. Example:

Chapter 1:

If you can talk about it,

It ain't Tao.

If it has a name,

It's just another thing.

Tao doesn't have a name.

Names are for ordinary things.

Stop wanting stuff,

It keeps you from seeing what's real.

When you want stuff,

All you see are things.

Those two sentences mean the same thing.

Figure them out,

and you've got it made.

Some of his translations are actually pretty funny. And I've found it helpful to read the original chapter, and then read his chapter - it makes more sense that way.

But I will definitely pick up the Tao of Daily Living next time I get a chance. Do you know if the Idiot's Guide to Taoism is any good?