H U G O

right or wrong!?

Hugo,

please do not win the lottery using the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, & 42....trust me

This may be useful: A Talk by Eido Michael Luetchford.

To know what is right and wrong in god-centered religions, all that is needed is to do as you are told. But in a human-centered religion like Buddhism, to know what is right or wrong, you have to develop a deep self-awareness and self-understanding. And ethics based on understanding are always stronger than those that are a response to a command. So to know what is right and wrong, the Buddhist looks at three things - the intention, the effect the act will have upon oneself and the effect it will have upon others. If the intention is good (rooted in giving, love and wisdom), if it helps myself (helps me to be more giving, more loving and wiser) and help others (helps them to be more giving, more loving and wiser), then my deeds and actions are wholesome, good and moral. Of course, there are many variations of this. Sometimes I act with the best of intentions but it may not benefit either myself or others. Sometimes my intentions are far from good, but my action helps others nonetheless. Sometimes I act out of good intentions and my acts help me but perhaps cause some distress to others. In such cases, my actions are mixed - a mixture of good and not-so-good. When intentions are bad and the action helps neither myself nor others, such an action is bad. And when my intention is good and my action benefits both myself and others, then the deed is wholly good.

Well at least it's clear now that Lucifer approaching Eve millenias ago was incredibly fortunate.

I don't think there is a right and wrong etched in stone somewhere that is anything other than opinion.

Now Effective, that's another matter. Plenty of things are more effective than others for what being/having/doing you prefer.

Hugo,

please do not win the lottery using the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, & 42....trust me

Yes Lost is awesome :lol:

This may be useful: A Talk by Eido Michael Luetchford.

That was very insightful!

I also believe that you really have to examine and really think about things for yourself, rather than just following orders, and to be honest that takes a lifetime of effort and it also means that no one can answer what is right or wrong besides yourself.

It depends my friend it depends

Someone may have a bad spirit(s) inside the body that makes he or she don't know what is right or wrong.

I'd say in that situation it's because that person doesn't have a strong enough willpower to make decisions on their own. In that example they're not much different than people who blindly follow what the church or government or their parents tell them to do

Society says it's not right to twist the heads off of cockroaches and eat them, so someone doesn't. An evil spirit tells someone to twist the heads off of cockroaches and eat them, so someone does. Neither of them are thinking about the actions, they're just doing what they are told.

Of course, maybe each of those people NEED that direction because they're not at the point in their development when they can make their own decisions. But maybe later down the road they will take that experience into account when making their own opinions.

Then again, it's so dangerous that there are SO many people out there, and the ONLY reason they do "good" is because they are TOLD to. What happens when someone gets in power and tells them to do BAD?

We can't just look at the result (good actions because of what society says).

Hello

What is right and what is wrong? do it is a universal truth or conscience or o we all have the same conscience or consciousness ?

Bye

Instead of asking what is the southernmost water and what is the northernmost water, what you really need to know is how to swim north and south.

In other words, when you ask about right and wrong, do you already have any idea of what they might be? What is right and wrong day to day for you? If not, then you have no idea what you're asking about, since you don't have a reference point with regard to right/wrong. On the other hand, if you have some idea, then all you need to progress from small/pragmatic/personal right/wrong to the ultimate right wrong are the tools of contemplation. These are simple: relatively quiet mind (but not too quiet), and the ability to ask penetrating questions without instantly trying to answer them.

So take one instance of right that you understand. Then ask "why is it right?" Don't answer. Just let the question hang there and be sensitive. Allow yourself to feel. Be slow. Don't rush. Eventually a decent answer may come to you. Then you may want to follow it up with another question. That question you should also not answer right away. Allow yourself to taste the questions and to feel the repercussions of the question's presence in your mind.

As you continue this leisurely, slow, quiet questioning process, make sure that questions move toward the key concern. Toward something more fundamental. Toward a central issue. Toward the trunk and away from the leaves. Toward the roots and away from the top of the tree.

What this allows you to do is to get a personal experience of your moral range. Your moral range is an abstract space where your moral concerns are "plotted" from pragmatic/personal to ultimate/universal. As you contemplate, you will become familiar with this space. It's not that simple. As you continue this process over the years you may notice some very subtle but profound changes. Eventually you'll become a master.

When you become a master, you'll never have a moral question ever again. At the same time, you won't be even the least bit dogmatic either, and that's no contradiction.

When you discuss this with others, only use that as a supplement of contemplation and not as a replacement.

Everybody knows whats right and whats wrong.If in doubt just check with your body,your body will always tell you weather the actions you are takeing are right or wrong.

My opinion is that right and wrong cannot exist independently of a situation or a context and that it is useless to try to conceptualize them in an overt way so as to apply them coherently to all situations.

Apparently not even God can follow the commandments. ;)

I believe that people are, in general and with some exceptions; able to perceive what is correct in terms of the situation they find themselves in, and so I find that right and wrong exist in most people in terms of a personal awareness entailing an undeniably psychological and potentially psychosomatic accountability.

More than this I believe that forms of psychological compulsion towards standards of behavior exist in many animal species, in social animals there are organizations of power and social function that inform the expected or ideal behavior of the individuals and the group, moreover individuals that fail to meet social expectations in animal species are often subject to attack or exile. That is to say that in context right and wrong even exist for animals, according to their own perception, situation and insight, all of which can vary profoundly.

However the rules of social animals do not apply uniformly to the individuals in a group, what is correct for a leader of a group to do is prohibited in many cases for the general public to do, so to speak and in the enforcement of authority of all animals: might makes right. The same cannot be said of cooperation which cannot always be coerced. Bad rulers are often overthrown in social animals and so there are special rules which leaders must follow when they are socially accountable for their actions. Still in the case of the leader or the mob that removes a bad leader from power, might makes right and history is always the version of events according to the victors whom invariably claim (and believe) to be the good guys regardless of any other factor.

I am sure that this seems long to some of you so I'll cease for now. The subject has interested me for a long time now.

Everybody knows whats right and whats wrong.If in doubt just check with your body,your body will always tell you weather the actions you are takeing are right or wrong.

Unforunatly there are also socio/psycho-paths who do not... :angry::blink::o They use an us/them system...

Hell yes listen to yr rythms and feel yr pulses... then remember there is no right/wrong only yr conscience and yr circumstances... :rolleyes:

Unforunatly there are also socio/psycho-paths who do not... :angry::blink::o They use an us/them system...

Hell yes listen to yr rythms and feel yr pulses... then remember there is no right/wrong only yr conscience and yr circumstances... :rolleyes:

Yes exactly thats why we have a conscience and thats why we have circumstances,so we can evaluate what is right and what is wrong.