Owledge

Synchronicity - any insights gained yet?

Apparently synchronicity is a phenomenon that occurs much more frequently for people on the spiritual path, the path to awakening. Exploring different theories, one being external (metaphysical), another being a change in personal awareness through altered way of perception, did anyone gain insight about what it really is? Or does the experience of synchronicity remain a mystery all the time?

The examples of synchronicity mentioned in the wikipedia are mostly relatively causal in my view. I myself experience synchronistic events more in a way that is utterly disassociated; events in totally different categories, most of the times giving no clue at all, no possible 'message' (a few exceptions).

Even if it is just a change in perception, this might be interesting to explore. Maybe our left-brain-consciousness becomes more active here.

Of course it could also be internal AND external... that we sharpen our senses/perception for an external phenomenon.

What is it?

Here's what I've found it to be. (And I agree 100% that synchronicity is MUCH more common with people on a spiritual path).

It's Wu-wei in action!

Let me give an example of something that happens (nearly EVERY day):

The other day, I was driving to campus to do some work. At the last minute, I decided to change routes just because I was bored. I went on a whim. I eventually showed up on campus a few minutes later than usual, parked my car, and my friend (Who I had been trying to get into contact with for several weeks) just showed up right next to me in his car!

So what is it? In my experience, it's proof of effortless action, that you really are "eating when hungry, sleeping when tired".

Recently I asked a friend to see her bible to point out a passage to another guy. I discussed something with the guy the day before, and was going to show him the next time I ran into him. Literally, as I turned to the page he showed up and said hey guys! That was the third time in half a year he did that.

Anyway, to me it's just evidence that I'm on the right path (but most of all) I'm more tuned into the essence of Wuwei.

My 2 cents.

Hm, this might be a sub-class of synchronicity. Reminds me of a report of a European in Africa, how you can't get things done quickly, but when you forget about them, they get done effortlessly, although in that case it was more a matter of chaotic group communication.

The type of synchronicities I experience are not helpful like your Wu-wei examples, but more symbolistic. Like seeing something in real life and then later the same thing in a movie, without any imaginable connection between them that could have transported the content of the movie into real life by its watchers.

This is by the way maybe parallel to the topic of numerology, for which I opened a thread some time ago. Some occurences are just extremely unlikely, and explaining them with selective perception is often not sufficient.

No wonder that the idea of subtle ways of collectively shaping our reality came about.

Edited by Hardyg

What do you mean a sub-class of sychronicity?

You mean deep spiritual epiphanies that occur from synchronistic events?

I actually would say yours are a higher form of synchronicity. I don't experience those nearly as often, but they are tremendously profound.

It sounds like you are describing something like the following: Something out of the blue grabs your attention. A concept, a book, maybe a movie you've heard of. The next day, a friend brings it up to. The next week, an opportunity comes to visit a country, take a seminar, meet a teacher on those very same lines.

An example that happened to me two days ago (is this similar to what you're referring to?):

6 months ago, I got the book Pranic Healing from my aunt. She thought it would be useful. It wasn't the right time to read it, so I put it away until about 3 months ago.

I started practicing daily, and then they mentioned Microcosmic orbit. I never did the MCO, but learned about Qigong, and a month ago began practicing. The last week I began doubting myself, and with all those types of Qigong, which one I should do, or if I should bother with Qigong.

I heard about Spring Forest Qigong, but let it pass. I got picked up at the airport from my dad on Thursday, my dad mind you is the typical manly man. He thinks crying is for italians and women ;), and believes in no such spiritual phenomena but supports me in my search. He mentions that he talked to a dude a day ago who does Qigong and alternative medicine, and my father mentioned me to the man. He says that i should visit and learn some Qigong.

I never pursued that further. Two days later, my mom drove me back to the airport to fly back to school.. She puts in a totally random CD - she says she got it in the mail, and my mom loves listening to things on tape.

Guess what it is? A Spring Forest Qigong testimonials tape. I told her that just the day before I got the spring forest program.

All of these are a really long, drawn-out way of saying "this is something worth investigating".

Oftentimes, this is how I've experienced the most wonderful travels, experiences, and met the most fascinating people.

Is that any closer to what you are referring to?

Edited by DaoChild

I mean that in your examples things just happen when they are beneficial, as you'd wish them to happen. So id could be discussed whether your desire manifested. In my way, I guess it's just disorderly, so no benefit comes from it.

By the way ... I wouldn't go so far as to say it's synchronicity, but the first part of this text that I just found the motivation to read on that website fits in an interesting way here (in terms of Wu-wei and subtle influences):

http://www.reuniting.info/wisdom/aligning_...the_tao_lao_tzu

I mean that in your examples things just happen when they are beneficial, as you'd wish them to happen. So id could be discussed whether your desire manifested. In my way, I guess it's just disorderly, so no benefit comes from it.

By the way ... I wouldn't go so far as to say it's synchronicity, but the first part of this text that I just found the motivation to read on that website fits in an interesting way here (in terms of Wu-wei and subtle influences):

http://www.reuniting.info/wisdom/aligning_...the_tao_lao_tzu

What do you mean by disorderly?

There is no conceivable purpose to it. No benefit, so at least seemingly no desire that could have caused it.

Just let me make up an extreme numerological example, just to make it clear:

Imagine you write a text document on your PC and the file size is 1111 Bytes. In the evening you put the document MIME encoded in an e-mail, write some comments and send it and the resulting e-mail has as size of 3333 Bytes. And then you - without knowing why - turn your head to the clock and it shows 22:22.

Now this could be considered highly synchronistic, right? But apart from that, you're no wiser than before. ... 1 - 3 - 2 - AH! How interesting! :rolleyes::lol:

Haha, I see what you mean.

Truthfully I don't have much insight as to the nature of your synchronicities. What do you think they mean, if anything.

Considering the numerological aspect, the only sense I could - sometimes - discover is a probable analogy to the chakra system and its elements or organs (1 = earth, 2 = water, 5 = throat). Like when "555" occurs with something that is of vocal nature. So it seems to simply show what is, thus the advice might apply here to not get attached to phenomena. Well, how should I? They're useless! :lol: But fascinating nevertheless.

Maybe by having this chakra system in my mind I'm summoning those occurences. Maybe I have this system because of observed synchronicities. I don't remember whether the hen or the egg came first. ;)

Considering the numerological aspect, the only sense I could - sometimes - discover is a probable analogy to the chakra system and its elements or organs (1 = earth, 2 = water, 5 = throat). Like when "555" occurs with something that is of vocal nature. So it seems to simply show what is, thus the advice might apply here to not get attached to phenomena. Well, how should I? They're useless! :lol: But fascinating nevertheless.

Maybe by having this chakra system in my mind I'm summoning those occurences. Maybe I have this system because of observed synchronicities. I don't remember whether the hen or the egg came first. ;)

A startling coincidence for me in my life has been this:

Whatever the current system is, that's where the synchronicites show up. For example, when I started studying Norse runes they started showing up in dreams and elsewhere. When I began studying Taoism, Taoist concepts and discussions showed up everywhere. It's like the cosmos know the best way to reach you.

A startling coincidence for me in my life has been this:

Whatever the current system is, that's where the synchronicites show up. For example, when I started studying Norse runes they started showing up in dreams and elsewhere. When I began studying Taoism, Taoist concepts and discussions showed up everywhere. It's like the cosmos know the best way to reach you.

Of course that could also be explained by the fact that, since you are thinking about that certain subject, you become more aware of that subject in your life, even if the number of occurances doesn't change. It's just that you perceive them more often. Not to rain on your parade..... :)

But my opinions on synchronicity are still the same :D

My 2 cents:

The Abraham-Hicks teachings teach that synchronicities exist because in fact your whole reality is created from your consciousness.

In my days of really being into Abraham, I would have some f#$%ing crazy synchronicities happen. Ones that there was no way they were just mathematically explainable coincidences. Just no way.

It all comes down to consciousness creating reality. The more excitement you hold toward a subject the more powerfully it reflects into your life.

These effects are easily explained away as tricks of the mind, except when it happens so regularly, in response to your desires.

My 2 cents:

The Abraham-Hicks teachings teach that synchronicities exist because in fact your whole reality is created from your consciousness.

In my days of really being into Abraham, I would have some f#$%ing crazy synchronicities happen. Ones that there was no way they were just mathematically explainable coincidences. Just no way.

It all comes down to consciousness creating reality. The more excitement you hold toward a subject the more powerfully it reflects into your life.

These effects are easily explained away as tricks of the mind, except when it happens so regularly, in response to your desires.

This is the piece I read decades ago on the subject. I can't recall too much, other than I loved it, and should probably revisit it some time.

The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self (Paperback)

by Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Psychology-Synch...9778&sr=8-1

Although from my experience, the really strong desires won't manifest that easily, no matter how much excitement you put into them, while all the worthless number shit is thrown at me all the time. :lol:

One day this wordplay came to my mind:

numb ... number ... numbers

Edited by Hardyg

IMO, Dancing in the Wu Wei requires raising the energy body vibrational rate through internal qigong practices, the practice of Virtue, and Listening. When all of these are combined then the synchronicity in one's life will be truly amazing.

1. nei kung - check

2. virtue - check

3. listening - check

conclusion...

4. patience makes it easier

:lol:

By the way... concerning all those triple-digits I experience ... Have you taken a look at my member number? ;) When I noticed it shortly after registering, I thought: Oh, who didn't see that one coming?! :lol:

Edited by Hardyg

It's Wu-wei in action!

Much appreciated words. Going to let that absorb for a bit, we'll see what sort of vital nutrients are contained within it. :huh: