Standing Medication

Just how do I resist the urge?

Just how do I resist the urge to fart when I am doing Standing Meditation?

Some told me that resistance is a form of violence and I should let it flow naturally. They say it is the Chi working.

Others, particularly those behind me tell me to "control" myself, there has been complaints that on a warm day, my going with the flow can be vicious to others (especially if I had an extra hot curry for lunch).

But "control" is another form of violence too!!!

I want to do good Chi Gong at the same time I want to keep my friends. The two do not seem compatible.

So what should I do, I ask you wise people??!!!

Gordon

I was told by several people never to resist the urge.

Farting , burping, stomach rumbling -- all are commonplace when doing standing meditation because it tends to get the digestive juices going. Of course, if you are in public or in a class they can be embarassing.

Perhaps if you have to pass gas consistently, drink a lot of water before class so that it won't have a smell :D

You may eat too much at one sitting, or maybe it is the food that you eat. When my diet is consistent and healthy i will go for weeks without having to fart. But if the urge comes, do it. It may feel awkward at first because of your social conditioning, but after a while it wont be such a big deal. You might try and justify it or rationalize why its acceptable to your ego for a while, but in the end theres nothing there besides the relief from getting all that fermentational gas out.

Probiotics produce less gas than the harmful bacteria and you can get supplements in pill form if you are avoiding dairy.

Papaya helps. It contains an enzyme, papain, which digests nutrients in any acid/alkaline environment...easing digestion.

Let it go. Resisting flatulence is futile and harmful. Studies have shown that rejected farts eventually make their way back to the brain, where they create smelly lacunae (holes) that are filled with rejected and toxic gases.

This is definitely anti-chi, and you will be the worse for it!!!

This is why you hear old people always talking about 'brain farts'!!

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

so far all the answers seem to be on how to reduce the likelihood of needing to fart, useful but doesn't seem to be answering the question. If one is in a situation where gas wishes to be passed, but it would bring disharmony to do so, how can one best prevent this 'disharmony' from occurring?

edit:btw, I fully agree with letting it go whenever possible, much to the chagrin of my ex... However there are times when even my infamous self will choose not to let it loose, so the above question is still of interest. Interesting factoid on the brain effects Song

Edited by Tokoyo Tama

Do not resist it or it will create tension and hinder your practice, there should be sufficient ventilation, it's not your fault.

Either work towards creating more ventilation or reduce your gas problem.

Going against the crowd I'll say, hold it in.

Sometimes you have to work against the grain of your character and I suspect you usually like to let'er rip in public.

:rolleyes:

Go ahead and do it.

If the people behind you try to tell you to stop, tell them that trying to fight it is causing resistance and tension within their own practice, and if they hope to ever become good at qigong, they need to quit trying to fight against your farts and just accept it.

:D

Corn syrup, especially the high fructose version, is bad. It would be best not to have it in your diet. Even just reducing the quantity helps.

Had a thought that could eventually lead to a reduction in flatulence, though it will take a long time. You mention you are into very hot food, something that modern brits are apparently notorious for going well above and beyond on. The appeal of hot foods physiologically is the endorphins (I believe, might be a different pain-killer) that your body produces in reaction to it. Maybe try adding other endorphin producing activities such as high intensity jogs or exercise into your lifestyle. Could eventually lead to a natural reduction in your desire for the super hot fart inducing stuff. On a side note, if you do decide to let go, maybe stand in back row. At least then people will know you are being considerate while offending them... :blink:

1- move the session outdoors or create more ventilation.

2- take 1 or more pills of activated charcoal after a meal to reduce gases.

3- relocate your self at the back rows, maybe switch with the complainer or go all the way back.