froggie

Iranians on twitter (after the so called election)

It's been amazing, the twitter element of this uprising. The Iranians had no idea there were so many caring people in the US and the west in general, now they know. I could cry I'm so impressed with the bravery these people are showing. Anyways, here's where you can watch the twittering in real time, whether you're a twitterer or not

Edited by soundhunter

I don't dare any specific judgement. I guess there are problems on both sides. On one side I could easily imagine the Iranian government committing voter fraud, on the other hand I understand why this is seen as necessary. The USA are waging a secret cold war so to speak. Astonishingly there even was an article in the local newspaper about how the USA support(ed) the Iranian MEK (some Mujaheddin) in Iraqi exile in their fight against the Iranian government.

What irritated me a bit is that there are so many opportunities for Ahmadinejad to mention what's going on and he is very moderate instead. It already took some time for him to mention what the USA did 1953 and demand an apology for that.

But of course many things might be delayed or filtered out by the media. And especially concerning the current turmoil nothing should be regarded as truth.

Iran how it is today is to a big degree a construct of US imperialism. Just like the aggressive defense of China is partly Made in UK.

One detail that was such a lame example of journalism: A young Iranian journalist said: All my friends voted for Mussawi! Where is my vote?!

He should know that there are different classes of society and that just because all his friends voted for Mussawi that doesn't mean that the rest of the country also did. Reminds me of Venezuela where only the middle and upper class protested against Chavez and some even said that the poor people are poor because they're lazy and don't know what hard work is.

So ... as I said ... better learn about the causes of the problems instead of the symptoms.

Iran should really be left alone, but that won't happen because a usual strategy is to incite all this fear in your enemy to make them look evil. Some Israeli politicians are even so daring (because they can) as to openly say that they welcome religious radicals, because they keep the concept of the enemy alive.

When you understand the basics, everything else is just noise.

Edited by Hardyg

Wow, I had no idea that Iran's elections were as bunk as those of the United States. Do they have an electoral college set up to prevent democracy as well?

not sure if this is real or not, but interesting

ballot fraud video

g6nPCO4i3PA

Translations:

Guy 1 (0:30): Finished?? Oh god, he wasn't lucky, no votes for Mohsen Rezayi (the other conservative candidate). Bad luck. inaudible

Guy 2: Write down these names,

Guy 1 (1:50): Their national identify codes are all wrong.

Guy 2: It is ok

Guy 1: Ok just tell me the rest

Guy 2: Write down these names and put something for the family name like

Guy 1: Mohamadi

Guy 2: Fathers name (with an ideferent tone) Alimohammad. Starts counting random numbers as the birth certificate number

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6nPCO4i3PA

By CHRISTOPHER RHOADS in New York and LORETTA CHAO in Beijing

"The Iranian regime has developed, with the assistance of European telecommunications companies, one of the world's most sophisticated mechanisms for controlling and censoring the Internet, allowing it to examine the content of individual online communications on a massive scale."

...more on site

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1245626687...icle-outset-box

Are you aware that the US government makes great efforts in the area of information warfare, especially in connection with the new technologies? It is amazing how much they themselves even admit and how they don't want to leave any development to chance.

There's so little credible information. It makes no sense to get excited over what's being reported right now, especially in media that is typically accessed by the masses.

You have to consider that it even took five decades before some people mentioned the coup of 1953 in somewhat mass media, and still it is miraculously overheard in the avalanche of media noise. Why do you think the truth about this will come out in the near future?

Furthermore... why even wait for those details? The whole thing is just the forseeable consequence of forces that are well known for half an eternity. It's hardly more than finally watching an announced and promoted play on the world stage.

Edited by Hardyg

Iran: 115 executions since elections

Posted: 07 August 2009

'Alarming spike' in numbers represents 'significant increase', says Amnesty

The eight weeks between the presidential election on 12 June and the inauguration of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for a second term as president on 5 August saw an alarming spike in the number of executions by the Iranian authorities, Amnesty International said today.

Amnesty International Secretary General Irene Khan said:

'In just over 50 days, we recorded no less that 115 executions - an average of more than two each day

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=18367

"From the start of 2009 up to 12 June, Amnesty International recorded at least 196 executions in Iran, placing the country second in the world behind China for the number of executions carried out."

Hm, then it must have been the number of executions relative to total population that's higher in the USA than in China.