exorcist_1699

Is a mini Toaist Chinese- English dictionary really needed?

For years I have been collecting Chinese Taoist writings and dictionaries , most not accessed by the West . Some books/dictionaries disappear from the shelves of bookshops because of political upheavals in China ; some are identified as TCM writings but in fact have abundant content related to Taoist cultivation . Edit them and make them into a mini Toaist Chinese- English dictionary seems a meaningful work.

As I live in Hong Kong and am totally unaware of the situation of those published Taoist books in the West , I do worry about whether my work was already done by others; if I just repeat others' work, then it seems meaningless? any idea ?

Edited by exorcist_1699

For years I have been collecting Chinese Taoist writings and dictionaries , most not accessed by the West . Some books/dictionaries disappear from the shelves of bookshops because of political upheavals in China ; some are identified as TCM writings but in fact have abundant content related to Taoist cultivation . Edit them and make them into a mini Toaist Chinese- English dictionary seems a meaningful work.

As I live in Hong Kong and am totally unaware of the situation of those published Taoist books in the West , I do worry about whether my work was already done by others; if I just repeat others' work, then it seems meaningless? any idea ?

I think things like this are actually quite important. Bringing many different techniques/definitions together from numerous sources seems like a very masterly thing to do. Masters, on their path, always look for many different teachers. Learn from them all and transform that learning into something new. Usually it will be something greater than the sum of its parts.

If you do it deliberately and do it well. Then yes. It is needed!

My initial idea is that maybe it should be written in the following format :

The Chinese term/word, its pinyin, an English explanation of it;

Content of the dictionary will cover :

-Main Taoist jargons

-Famous Taoist books , for example , Yin Fu Jin ("陰符經" ) ranked the 3rd place in Taoist writings after Laotse and Chuangtse , yet nearly unknown to the West, so should be included;

-Taoist icons/ masters: Figure like Liu Yi Ming (" 劉一明") from the Ching Dynasty , although not well known in the West, because of his several important works , should be introduced.

-Famous Taoist mountains

In previous posts on this forum, some members had raised what they thought were the important things ,

so there are no difficulties for me to choose the suitable ones to be put in this dictionary .

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=dictionary

hi there exorcist, i'm sorry i didn't get to tell you, the dictionary was already started, and some of our taobums have already contributed... if it's not too much, i hope we could continue with it... in the original thread posted by me...

Correct me if I am wrong, but exorcist_1699 seems to have a very different type of project in mind. You seem to be just collecting a bunch of random Chinese words as they relate to Daoism, while exorcist_1699 seems to want to take original Daoist texts that have not come out in the West and provide glossaries for them so that each reader can translate it himself (which is quite easy due to the simplicity of Classical Chinese grammar). This, I have found, is by far the best way to personally approach these texts, though it takes a little longer to read. I have read and translated the Dao De Jing and the inner chapters of Zhuangzi this way, and it is far more fulfilling then simply reading one of the many (not so good) translations out there, which typically do not account for anything other than the raw philosophical interpretations.

If this is correct and your goal is to work on providing these texts in Chinese characters concordant with pinyin and glossaries, then this is an amazing project! If there is any way that I can help, let me know and I would be happy to lend my limited Chinese language skill and typing fingers to the project.

To Little1 and Zhuo Ming-Dao

The one initialized by Litte1 does not conflict to the one I proposed .

The Little1's can involve many people who like to contribute their definition/ understanding of some Taoist glossaries ; it will be something interesting , in fact, it is ; it may sound like some kind of words puzzle that many people can participate and enjoy ; the problem is that it will unlikely be coherent for everyone has his/her respective definition of certain terms.

The one I proposed to edit will be a more coherent one as I , or some people who are interested in , will act as editors. The jargons /glossaries defined will be more consistent . Of course I need others' help, especially considering the truth that my English is not good enough to write really readable stuff .