LongHu Shan

RED CLIFF, the Film; ZHUGE LIANG, the Taoist

Allahu, guys and gals!

Those of you part-time Taoists must have sneaked out of your fengshuied hovels to eat adulterated non-genetically modified popcorn in the cinemas watching the chop-and-slash film Red Cliff. Or at least seen the large displays on sides of buses as you race to catch them in order to be home in time to meditate and contact the dolphin deities, have ye not?

Well, I am not here to discuss buses, dolphins, your meditation or your popcorn, don't panic! I am not even here to discuss the cut and thrust of the film which those of you under 15 in the UK are not even allowed to see if you have not already contacted Master Morgan the Pirate over the Net for your very own copy of the film!

I am here to seek from among you latter-day almost-saints Taoist wannabees and masters of the universe opinion on the great strategist, Old Kongming. He was a Taoist so I understand with even 'magical' abilities - spells, incantations, 'influenced' the weather, and so on... He even owned. his own (magical) flywhisk! For most, he was most famous for downloading a whole load of arrows for free from his enemies such was what we learned at school at a young age: Zhuge Liang Borrowed Arrows. We had to recite the story over and over again (in classical Chinese!), we reenacted the 'scenes' with straw men (not 'straw dogs')... We learned whatever else we could about the legendary abilities of this man, a Taoist with many ability. He was a great player of the guqin too though I should not say he played a 'mighty mean tune ' with that!

If you want to see beyond Johnny Woo's Peckingpahism you might want to talk Zhuge Liang, after all he would have joined this board as a card and flywhisk carrying Taoist. But as he can only join in spirit why not you guys and gals consider discussing 'da man' (that's 'English' for errrrm da man), his Taoism, his skills and so on and so on?

For a fine start, we can discuss Zhuge Liang's Bagua/Eight Trigram Battle Formation, I am sure there must be hordes of armchair generals among you who could lead and delight us with your ill-gotten knowledge nicked from the Net or from a borrowed library book or two. Fear not, we should not be here to discuss plagiarism but, friends, honorary Taoists, countrymen (and women) we are here to give praise to Zhuge Liang, ramble on about Taoism in all its aspects (errrm even military science?), and own up to watching a film that I would never have thought Johnny Woo would have aspired to make... another topic but if you give the man a chance, Johnny does from time to time talk like a Taoist of sort...

So fingers to the keyboard, folks!

Let battle commence!

Edited by LongHu Shan

Is there yet any word of this coming out in the U.S.? I have been wanting to see this film in the theaters since I first heard that it was in production (Zhuge Liang has always been one of my heroes). IMDB lists its release in the UK but does not even give an estimated date for the States and it does not look as if a distributor has even touched it... :(

you can download it quite easily if you know how to use bittorrent

go to a site like http://www.isohunt.com, search for whatever you want. get the .torrent file (make sure there are seeders (uploaders)

get the program bitorrent here

http://www.bittorrent.com/btusers/download

get this movie player, it plays anything

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

also, if you use file sharing often.. i suggest you install pg2, it blocks IPs from people you don't want connecting to you (like feds, anti-piracy groups)

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

Edited by mikaelz

For a movie that topped the charts in most of the countries that showed it, it really should not be so difficult to see legitimately.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Is there yet any word of this coming out in the U.S.? I have been wanting to see this film in the theaters since I first heard that it was in production (Zhuge Liang has always been one of my heroes). IMDB lists its release in the UK but does not even give an estimated date for the States and it does not look as if a distributor has even touched it... :(

I've seen the movie and although the fight scenes are impressive, I didn't see any taoist magic scene. Although Takeshi Kaneshiro (the actor who played Zhuge Liang) said some things about yin yang and feng shui.