DaoChild

Prof. Yu Yong Nian's book - Zhan Zhuang & the Search of Wu - Anyone read it?

Prof. Yu Yong Nian has written a book on Zhan Zhuang. He was a student of Wang Xiang Zhai, and has been practicing daily for over 60 years.

Has anyone picked up a copy of this? I think it may only be available electronically currently:

http://yiquan.chinamartialarts.net/Yu-YN-ebook.html

Wondering what others have heard..

Edited by DaoChild

Prof. Yu Yong Nian has written a book on Zhan Zhuang. He was a student of Wang Xiang Zhai, and has been practicing daily for over 60 years.

Has anyone picked up a copy of this? I think it may only be available electronically currently:

http://yiquan.chinamartialarts.net/Yu-YN-ebook.html

Wondering what others have heard..

Yes Ive read it. Great book! Worth every penny!

It explains in detail the physiological effects of ZZ and gives a lot of tips on how to improve and develop your practice. The only thing that I feel is missing is more about metaphysical aspects of Zhan Zhuang.

Edited by sheng zhen

Yes Ive read it. Great book! Worth every penny!

It explains in detail the physiological effects of ZZ and gives a lot of tips on how to improve and develop your practice. The only thing that I feel is missing is more about metaphysical aspects of Zhan Zhuang.

Sound great, but $72.00 for an e-book? Are you sure it's worth that much?

Sound great, but $72.00 for an e-book? Are you sure it's worth that much?

yes im sure. its very comprehecive book :)

Two questions:

A) Does it go into the use of Zhan Zhuang for martial power, combat usage?

B) Does he go into thorough detail about the actual body positions, to prevent improper posture?

EDIT: Someone also told me that it's only half of what's in the full 'actual' book (which is only in chinese, of course)

Better get my mandarin up to par...

Edited by DaoChild

Two questions:

A) Does it go into the use of Zhan Zhuang for martial power, combat usage?

B) Does he go into thorough detail about the actual body positions, to prevent improper posture?

EDIT: Someone also told me that it's only half of what's in the full 'actual' book (which is only in chinese, of course)

Better get my mandarin up to par...

yes to both.

I was instructed in standing by my tai chi instructor,

he explained to line the acupoint's in the centre of the palm's with any of the three energy centre's , navel,heart and brow,this stimulate's the flow of energy through the meridian's therefore increasing the body's ability to absorb energy from the enviroment.

I was also told to do vase breathing at the same time.

I remember doing standing for an hour a day for two month's and after only two week's I noticed I was getting more static shock's than normal.

STANDING WORK'S !

sabretooth.

In my point of view lots of money just for a book.

I've heard other people reviewing it on other posts on this forum claiming its very comprehensive and good read.

Edited by WhiteTiger

Yeah, but at some point you are left with the feeling you're a fool for paying so much for a friggin' e-book, no matter the content. But the publisher is really the fool, as they would sell a lot more of them for half that price or less. Supply and demand curve. Plus, at that price, I think they unintentionally encourage bootleg copies circulating. Note to publisher: get a clue...

If you are a dedicated zhan zhuang practitioner and you would like to learn what it takes to reach the higher levels of skill in the practice, then yes this book is worth it. If you are just a dabbler I would say it is not really worth the money.

I practiced the 3 basic postures 20 min each for a couple of months and it is very effective when done that way. I stopped because I am now concentrating on spring forest qigong, which I find more effective for healing yourself and others.

I am willing to give my copy to someone and delete mine from my hard drive if anyone is really interested.

If you are a dedicated zhan zhuang practitioner and you would like to learn what it takes to reach the higher levels of skill in the practice, then yes this book is worth it. If you are just a dabbler I would say it is not really worth the money.

I practiced the 3 basic postures 20 min each for a couple of months and it is very effective when done that way. I stopped because I am now concentrating on spring forest qigong, which I find more effective for healing yourself and others.

I am willing to give my copy to someone and delete mine from my hard drive if anyone is really interested.

Hey Brandon, I'll take you up on that offer.

The only reason I haven't bought the book, is because my teacher was his student, and I'd hate to spend 70 bucks on a teaching that I am already receiving.

But if Brandon or TheSongsOfDistantEarth wouldn't have a problem passing it on after they were done with it. I would highly appreciate reading what is supposed to be the best book about my favorite practice.

In other words, I would highly appreciate a copy of it.

Hello Brandon.

Im kind of new in this forum. Im interested in the copy of the book.

Thanh you for sharing valueble information about Da chen chuan

PS: pardon my english writing skills... its my second language.

Edited by leigong

The only reason I haven't bought the book, is because my teacher was his student, and I'd hate to spend 70 bucks on a teaching that I am already receiving.

Remind me whose your teacher again, if you don't mind.

He learned from Master Kam Lam Chuen or he learned from Master Yu Yong Nian or both of them?

I'm also interested - since I'm currently practice Zhan Zhuang daily. Could we perhaps have a pass around session?

I have decided to send it to daochild first since he was the originator of the thread. I hope that everyone who wants to take a look at will get a chance.

So daochild just give me your email and I will send it along.

Remind me whose your teacher again, if you don't mind.

He learned from Master Kam Lam Chuen or he learned from Master Yu Yong Nian or both of them?

Sifu Gregory Fong learned from Professor Yu. I'd suggest that anyone in the Portland area interested in the martial arts or going very in-depth with the mind-body connection, take some classes with Sifu Fong.

(note: I feel a lot of hope because Professor Yu didn't start till he was 24, if my math is correct)

Edited by Pranaman

Pranaman,

There is always hope ;). Some of the best Baguazhang experts didn't begin until in their 40s or even 50s! But the main two or three taught by Dong were already in their 20s I believe, even though they had "mastered" previous styles.

Remember, quality AND quantity of time make a great martial artist (or anything..). Practice doesn't make perfect -- perfect practice makes perfect.

Remember, quality AND quantity of time make a great martial artist (or anything..). Practice doesn't make perfect -- perfect practice makes perfect.

Kudos! Well said.

How hard it is to refine, not for all, but for many to get high quality practice while trying to perfect arts.

Sifu Gregory Fong learned from Professor Yu. I'd suggest that anyone in the Portland area interested in the martial arts or going very in-depth with the mind-body connection, take some classes with Sifu Fong.

(note: I feel a lot of hope because Professor Yu didn't start till he was 24, if my math is correct)

Yep, thanks for the information. I don't live in Portland. I did remember you did have a good teacher. That definately stuck out in my mind.

Forgot to say...

Peace,

wt

Pranaman,

There is always hope ;). Some of the best Baguazhang experts didn't begin until in their 40s or even 50s! But the main two or three taught by Dong were already in their 20s I believe, even though they had "mastered" previous styles.

True that. You put that very well. Speaking of standing practice and practicing perfectly, I'd be a lot farther now had I been practicing it perfectly over the last year instead of half-way and mildly like I had been. It's definitely a practice that takes a lot of mental and physical effort.

Edited by Pranaman