Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

Anyone know any books/dvds on Kalarippayattu

Anyone know of any books/dvds on this martial art? my google fu is not working right now.

Ps an urumi is an awsome weapon.

Hello Mewtwo. Yes, I am also interested in the borderlands between yoga and the martial arts, and have two books on it:

When the Body Becomes All Eyes: Paradigms, Discourses and Practices of Power in Kalarippayattu, a South Indian Martial Art by Phillip B. Zarrilli

This is the most comprehensive book I've seen on it. It's more of an academic study than a how-to. He was a theatre professor in Wisconsin, but now lives in Wales.

Kalarippayat: India's Ancient Martial Art by D.H. Luijendijk

This one shows more of the techniques, but less background. The author has another longer book on the subject that I have not bought yet: Kalarippayat

He also has an interesting book on the Persian mind-body practice of Zoor Khane which is like a bodyweight exercise workout done to the beat of a drum and recitation of sacred poetry. I've written reviews of these books on Amazon.com if you want more info.

There is another good book on Kalarippayatt published in India, I think the author's name was Balakrishnan, but I don't have the info handy. Hope this helps...

Anyone know of any books/dvds on this martial art? my google fu is not working right now.

Ps an urumi is an awsome weapon.

Philip Zarilli's book is the best.

My friend used to learn Kalari when he lived in Kerala...he was a scary fighter but a gentle soul

BTW if you are interested, here's an article on Indian Martial Arts I'd written a while back --

Indian Martial Arts -- Will they survive?

Edited by dwai

There is a new book on the way:

Kalaripayat: The Martial Arts Tradition of India by Patrick Denaud

2009F0561671.jpg

Sign in to follow this