DalTheJigsaw123

Do You Live in the Now Moment?

Guest paul walter

Mostly, yes.

Depends what you mean by 'now'. If it is at the exclusion of the past and future, as if they don't exist, then no, I don't. But if you mean a type of unbounded now that has the past, present and future unfolding as a constant becoming then I try to.

Richard

Is "Now" really a misnomer?

Because "now" is a concept that still exists within the space-time dimension...

Whereas, do they really mean being in the "0 dimension" with no space or time? Where there is no past, "now" present or future...because there is no time (linearly-fractionated sequential perception) at all?

Time does not change, time stays still

We are changing

There is only one constant in this Universe: CHANGE

I don't think anyone has ever lived in any moment other than now. Nor has anyone has ever been any place other than here.

Depends what you mean by 'now'. If it is at the exclusion of the past and future, as if they don't exist, then no, I don't. But if you mean a type of unbounded now that has the past, present and future unfolding as a constant becoming then I try to.

Richard

I mean living without time and just living.

I don't think anyone has ever lived in any moment other than now. Nor has anyone has ever been any place other than here.

Actually you would be surprised. Many people live in the present or the future. Some go back into reminiscing mode and some plan ahead of the future.

Taoism teaches us to go beyond concept. So time and dimension is not relevant. But for "now" is "now" oops Now it's gone...

I like to say that we learn from the past in order to live in the present so we can see the future.

It's about detachment. Seeing and don't see.

Tao Bless

Taoism teaches us to go beyond concept. So time and dimension is not relevant. But for "now" is "now" oops Now it's gone...

I like to say that we learn from the past in order to live in the present so we can see the future.

It's about detachment. Seeing and don't see.

Tao Bless

Exactly detachment. That is exactly what we need to achieve. So, living in the Now.

Not nearly as much as I'd like.

The wild monkey still gets the best of me much of the time.

I'm working on it.

Non-attachment and detachment are not the same thing. I have a feeling you mean non-attachment, rather than detachment.

Also, attachment takes place in the present. Living in the now doesn't change that.

Exactly detachment. That is exactly what we need to achieve. So, living in the Now.

Explain the difference. They are all just words and definitions. You obviously knew what I meant so why not live in the present and not attach to the words I say but hear the meanings I am conveying.

Tao Bless

Non-attachment and detachment are not the same thing. I have a feeling you mean non-attachment, rather than detachment.

Also, attachment takes place in the present. Living in the now doesn't change that.

Because detachment often brings with it flavors of apathy, a push away from, a standing apart, disconnection, unconcerned, withdrawing. Some people may take it as an invitation to shut down emotions, repress feelings, and so forth. It is a movement away from (de-tachment).

Non-attachment would mean opening, allowing, flowing but not stopping, aware but not clinging, engaged but not craving.

Explain the difference. They are all just words and definitions. You obviously knew what I meant so why not live in the present and not attach to the words I say but hear the meanings I am conveying.

Tao Bless

Not nearly as much as I'd like.

The wild monkey still gets the best of me much of the time.

I'm working on it.

I second that.

Thanks for clearing that up! That is what I meant. Non-Attachment.

Guest paul walter

Thanks for clearing that up! That is what I meant. Non-Attachment.

(After reading the inevitable attempts at definition):

The gap between the philosophy of life and the living of it is non-reconcilable. Don't you mean emptiness ( in the non-philosophical sense <_< ? Paul.

The gap between the philosophy of life and the living of it is non-reconcilable. Don't you mean emptiness ( in the non-philosophical sense <_< ? Paul.

Paul: do you mean "real" emptiness as opposed to "philosophical" emptiness? i.e. not "that which is called the Tao," but the Tao itself? if not, what is non-philosophical emptiness?

Thanks for clearing this up.

I mean emptiness without rules, boundaries or philosophies.

I get your point. Thanks for clarifying. However, it's because of our Western culture that we still won't get the meaning. Most people will still think we are cold and shut down.

Because detachment often brings with it flavors of apathy, a push away from, a standing apart, disconnection, unconcerned, withdrawing. Some people may take it as an invitation to shut down emotions, repress feelings, and so forth. It is a movement away from (de-tachment).

Non-attachment would mean opening, allowing, flowing but not stopping, aware but not clinging, engaged but not craving.

With increasing frequency but still a long way to go...damn it, looks like that whole future idea is still playing games with me... crap, and that idea of 'still playing' means I'm still caught in the past a bit too, but that's being human for ya!

And to clear one thing up (at least from my point of view) the past is just a collection of fragmented memories that fade over time and are conditioned by the past prior to that. The future is just an idea of what we think things can/should/will/etc be like also conditioned by the past.

The now is the space-time in which everything exists in reality, including the thought forms of past and future.

Just my 2c per usual :)