DaoChild

The most powerful Qigong exercise you've experienced

Hi everyone, I'm just curious which exercise/ set of exercises makes you feel Qi the strongest.

For me ( a novice to Qigong ) I felt VERY strong warmth in my hands even on the first day trying "Lifting the Sky" and "Carrying the Moon". Additionally, doing the self-healing regime from Pranic Healing makes my hands pulse with heat, as if they would burn an object I touch.

Just curious, as i'm trying to explore more Qigong options.

Have a good weekend ;)

DaoChild

• Like 1

DC, out of the different sets that I practice, I find that Pan Gu Shengong and Xiang Gong (aka Fragrance Qigong) seem to produce the strongest and most consistent sensations, especially in the feet and hands. I'm finding that a little preparation before practice, in terms of setting intention, relaxation, and clearing the mind, makes a real difference in feeling energy in any qigong form, as well as expressing gratitude afterwards. Tai Chi practice can produce really strong sensations as well.

One time years ago, I was sitting in a movie theater at the end of the aisle, with my arm and hand hanging down relaxed. I began to make really small, barely perceptible spirals with my arm. Within 10 minutes it felt like my entire arm was vibrating with energy. After that, sometimes I would practice this with both arms at the same time while standing. Again these are very small spirals, like less than an inch. In fact, it seems like the smaller you can make them, the stronger the sensation is. Well, I thought this was my personal discovery and never told anyone about it. A few years later when I took Jeff Primack's workshop, I found he was using the spiraling motion too, although not as small spirals. There are probably other forms that use it too...

Thanks for the tip about the Pranic Healing. A lot of people seem to speak highly of it here, as well as the Spring Forest qigong. I hope to check out both of those eventually.

• Like 4

Hey guys is it possible to string together a bunch of qi gung exercises from different sources sytems and practice as your own set?

Hey guys is it possible to string together a bunch of qi gung exercises from different sources sytems and practice as your own set?

From my perspective, I string together different sets, but do the exercises in the sets in the same order I learned them. I do the sets in different order, but keep the integrity of the individual set as I learned it. I also try to avoid systems that tell you not to mix their sets with other peoples. This isn't to say that that is not a valid approach. I just like to keep some variety in my practice.

That being said, if you want to try a "mashup", why not try it and see how it feels. If it doesn't feel right, stop! It might be better to combine movements that are supposed to have a similar purpose or effect. It would probably be good to have more advanced knowledge of TCM and/or anatomy to create a mix that works well. Otherwise there may have to be some trial and error. It would be a good idea to record what movements you are doing, and what your reaction is to them. Just my opinion. Have fun!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm just curious which exercise/ set of exercises makes you feel Qi the strongest.

Shiba Luohan Qigong works best for me although the "ancient" version of the Eight Pieces of Brocade of my teacher is very good for the breath which, in turn, is really good for cultivation of Qi.

• Like 1

For me ( a novice to Qigong ) I felt VERY strong warmth in my hands even on the first day trying "Lifting the Sky" and "Carrying the Moon". Additionally, doing the self-healing regime from Pranic Healing makes my hands pulse with heat, as if they would burn an object I touch.

Just curious, as i'm trying to explore more Qigong options.

Have a good weekend ;)

DaoChild

As I mentioned in your other thread, the Stillness-Movement qigong is the most powerful I have experienced.

Better to follow a single path a long ways than multiple paths a short ways.

The reaon I ask is because i have the shibashi taichi chi gung set 1 and 2 and a few of the movements hurt my knees or lower back so I wanted to skip a few of them and mix the 1st and second set with the doable list of the exercises form the to sets. Any thoughts.

The reaon I ask is because i have the shibashi taichi chi gung set 1 and 2 and a few of the movements hurt my knees or lower back so I wanted to skip a few of them and mix the 1st and second set with the doable list of the exercises form the to sets. Any thoughts.

If it hurts don't do them. If you have temporary soreness due to an unused muscle ask your doctor or your teacher. Sometimes going slower towards a goal is better than speeding towards it. What does your teacher have to say about this?

• Like 2

No teacher but but my muscles are pretty conditioned. Its just that my knees feel sore in certain movements. Like sinking ect... And I I just wanted to combine the two sets while leaving out the troublesome ones.

No teacher but but my muscles are pretty conditioned. Its just that my knees feel sore in certain movements. Like sinking ect... And I I just wanted to combine the two sets while leaving out the troublesome ones.

How long have you been practicing the sets Ramon?

Not long but I have had problems with similar movements for a long time. My knees are cranky. If im careful and choose exercises correctly then I do okay. But I am just curious if what I want to do would be okay?

thanks guys

DC, out of the different sets that I practice, I find that Pan Gu Shengong and Xiang Gong (aka Fragrance Qigong) seem to produce the strongest and most consistent sensations, especially in the feet and hands.

Pan Gu Shengong indeed has a whole different feel to it and is the simplest of the Qigong forms I have known. The one thing I notice though is that even after the actual practice session has ended, it feels like the chi continues to be "channeled" - something I have not noticed in other forms I have practiced.

The other form which I have found to be really powerful is Hua gong.

Edited by Siliconvalley1
  • Like 1

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Hmmm... The most powerful qigong exercise I've ever experienced would have to be any of the exercises I've been taught as part of my Shaolin Cosmos Qigong training. A few of the experiences I've had while at courses with my teacher Sifu Wong Kiew Kit were so powerful, you don't have words for it.

Lifting the Sky, Carrying the Moon, Merging with the Cosmos, Small Universe, Big Universe.

Hmmm... Besides this, I've tried some other styles of qigong for curiosity's sake, of those I've thought Spring Forest Qigong was good, and also Cosmic Freedom Qigong. But I can't say whether those would have been as nice if not for my Shaolin cosmos Qigong, who's qi benefits carry over to if I try another system for fun...

Edited by 11:33

I think the good old microcosmic orbit has been my strongest experience. I did it for two+ hours once and I not only felt strong chi but it increased my awareness dramatically. crazy stuff if done intensely.

Edited by erdweir
  • Like 2

Not long but I have had problems with similar movements for a long time. My knees are cranky. If im careful and choose exercises correctly then I do okay. But I am just curious if what I want to do would be okay?

thanks guys

If you take a narrower stance, decrease the amount of time you spend doing the exercises, and slowly build up, you may find that you benefit from the set. Try never to let the knee extend beyond the toes and you can also grip the ground lightly with your toes. That often helps the knee.

I don't know about mixing and matching, I usually try to do complete sets and work up to them rather than modify them. It can take 6 weeks or more to become accomodated to a new set.

• Like 2

Guest sykkelpump

I am a little curious about red phoenix,can somebody PM me how to do it?

Have you ever tried Tenaga Dalam? It's the "qigong" attached to Pencak Silat. The exercise is very intense for spiritual cleansing. You call on aspects of God to draw them into you. You use vibrotic power with breath control to polarize the blood. It's also called Tridaya Inner Power. I never sweat doing qigong before. I guess because it's attached to a hard style.

There's also Wu Dao Toughening; that one is really crazy, but is especially good for medical waigong / neigong practitioners as well as hard style martial artists.

DC, out of the different sets that I practice, I find that Pan Gu Shengong and Xiang Gong (aka Fragrance Qigong) seem to produce the strongest and most consistent sensations, especially in the feet and hands.

I took Jeff Primack's workshop, I found he was using the spiraling motion too, although not as small spirals. There are probably other forms that use it too...

Dainin,

Do you still practice Pan Gu Shengong? I have been practicing the moving form for a few years now and do the non-moving form much more often. What is interesting here is that Sifu associates Sun with the left channel and Moon with the right, as opposed to the yoga tradition which does the exact opposite.

I have really not been strict with visualization but stick mostly to the movements alone. I have found this Qigong to be generating more energy in less time and with really simple movements. I am not too sure on the "channelling" controversy associated with this form (like Falun) but I have not had any negative effects so far. I am considering doing the third level, but that needs to be learnt from Sifu Ou personally.

I happened to watch Jeff's level 1 and 2 DVDs a few days ago and his form didn't seem to do much for me. In fact, if anything did work, it was simply the spirals. :)

Edited by Siliconvalley1
  • Like 3

alternate nostril breathing I learnt in hatha yoga.

When I do this I have pulses of heat shooting up my back.

sabretooth.