DalTheJigsaw123

The Secret, is it BS? (Law Of Attraction)

The Secret, is it BS? (Law Of Attraction).

No. (That's the short answer; from there I it could get a lot longer, like many pages longer :) )

I mean the stuff they are pushing down into our throats, is it mostly propaganda, or is it more than that? Also do you think that the person made this documentary, is stealing the ancient teachings?

I mean the stuff they are pushing down into our throats, is it mostly propaganda, or is it more than that? Also do you think that the person made this documentary, is stealing the ancient teachings?

Which documentary? You mean the movie , The Secret?...

The Secret the movie is imho not fully 100% accurate. Anyone who says you can be do or have anything, is full of shit imho.

That said, like the Buddha himself said, life comes from what you think.

There is a connection with the mind aspect of you, and the things that come into your life.

There is even an equation Intent/Desire + Emotional Intensity or Energy = Manifestation

However, all of these teachings I see operate in a ego-driven manner. Which we know is not the deepest truth. So the teachings don't always work... for many reasons I don't have enough time to theorize upon.

There are limits. You are highly unlikely to grow a third arm. But some of these people will say you can. I have however seen some pretty WILD synchronicities that when I think about statistically they just couldn't have happened by chance.

The most important thing to know about LoA is that it happens without you knowing it. It is like karma, always just happening no matter what. It is more like the law of matching, than law of attraction. It is like the law of God's grace.

The highest vibration of Abundance is willingly giving giving and giving some more. That's how it must be! If you can give and give and give without end, then surely you must be overflowing!

Peace.

Thank you for chiming in. That was pretty!:) Yes, I meant The Secret movie! To much propaganda, that is for sure. Most of these films coming out now, is purely for profit!

Guest paul walter

The short answer is yes,it is total crap. why? because it is all will/ego based gratification. That is why the 'New Age' movement is so flaky/not solid, it's totally humanist and self-centered (in the literal sense) even when these people preach universal connection and love vibes. The Secret advocates would blame a homeless persons 'karma' or negative thinking before they would help him out with a couple of bucks for food-that's how they see the world-totally SELF centered which is ironic considering the more serious traditions all look at life from the other end of the spectrum. Intention, which is very important in life is all about cultivating a purity these people will never understand because they are looking at their relation to the universe through the wrong end of the telescope. I find even the look of the people connected to the Secret stuff so repulsive-they look like (and admit) that they were losers (working class people with little choice in capitalism) who got rich-fantastic stuff! As for the 'tradition' they have pulled out of their arses-well, every good sales pitch needs gimmicks. My view is to stay away from all that watered down, manipulated dross-your instinct on that count will not fail you if you know the signs of a professional con artist. The world is full of them. Yours, from the land that gave birth to the monster-Australia, Paul

The short answer is yes,it is total crap. why? because it is all will/ego based gratification. That is why the 'New Age' movement is so flaky/not solid, it's totally humanist and self-centered (in the literal sense) even when these people preach universal connection and love vibes. The Secret advocates would blame a homeless persons 'karma' or negative thinking before they would help him out with a couple of bucks for food-that's how they see the world-totally SELF centered which is ironic considering the more serious traditions all look at life from the other end of the spectrum. Intention, which is very important in life is all about cultivating a purity these people will never understand because they are looking at their relation to the universe through the wrong end of the telescope. I find even the look of the people connected to the Secret stuff so repulsive-they look like (and admit) that they were losers (working class people with little choice in capitalism) who got rich-fantastic stuff! As for the 'tradition' they have pulled out of their arses-well, every good sales pitch needs gimmicks. My view is to stay away from all that watered down, manipulated dross-your instinct on that count will not fail you if you know the signs of a professional con artist. The world is full of them. Yours, from the land that gave birth to the monster-Australia, Paul

You are so right! Great points you brought up.

Paul,

I agree with the self-focusedness of it all. But I personally can't call it total bs. The metaphysical laws or whatever you call them are still useful to know that they exist. To know that mind affects reality is a huge thing. Unfortunately none of those new age systems is a complete or correct system, but I can't throw my personal experience down the drain. To me there is great value in knowing there is a Force that has things sorta under control and has my back :)

Guest paul walter

Paul,

I agree with the self-focusedness of it all. But I personally can't call it total bs. The metaphysical laws or whatever you call them are still useful to know that they exist. To know that mind affects reality is a huge thing. Unfortunately none of those new age systems is a complete or correct system, but I can't throw my personal experience down the drain. To me there is great value in knowing there is a Force that has things sorta under control and has my back :)

I didn't mean to throw it all out-I mean that, as is almost always the case with organised religion, the chances of you getting a spin on very basic and important information is high. Therefore you may spend the rest of your life being influenced by what you originally learnt when it was close to the truth of things but not close enough. They are telling you it's all about you BUT it's THEM who are TELLING you it's all about you in their way,yeah? Like a cult dynamic. You wouldn't need movements/gurus/leaders/religions to keep guiding you if you believed in your wholeness and could think for yourself/trust yourself-the secret prays on peoples insecurities in this way about a VERY fundamental concept-trust in life/existence. People are being told by the secret that they are what they are and that the SELF can stay as it is but just ask for more SELF. And why not-that's just the relation people have in capitalist societies, the secret dudes know that-that's why they are now rich. With such a 'pure' idea/practice as intention I think this is abusive and misleading-unless you get it clear and without 'carrots' about being the worlds greatest being (even if it is only in your own eyes). Hope this is clear-don't get me started on these types of subjects!!!! ;)

I used it and it works. I am still using it and it is still working. It works so good for money, love, health in fact that I have begun to wonder if it's the Law of Attraction that makes even Taoist Alchemy work. Why does the bone breathing work for some and not all? Why does meditation work for some and not all? I think it might be the Law of Attraction. It's just so simple and easy that nobody can believe it's true and of course it's not true if you don't believe in it. Unfortunately it's a circular logic thing with only anecdotal evidence. All I can say is that it has been slowly becoming the center of how I live my life.

To balance 11:33 - my short answer:

"Yes. The movie/book "The Secret" is bull shit. Too superficial."

The secret is full of shit BUT the law of attraction is not. All is mind. Quantam physics is saying that very loudly, so dont forget that. The secret people pissed off a whole bucnh of the physicist in that movie because of 'editing" their interviews, but never the less the priciples have solid ground in science and metaphysics. With the inner alchemy thing I agree mind is resposnible but not in a simplistic manner. The acupoints do exist, Mind and body are one so emotions would correspond to organs Ect.. In a world of infinite quantam possabilities we have the intent to perform a certain goal (alchemy, healing) and from that we collapse a possability (method, archetype, pattern) into existence, we create the method with our intent. It does not mean the method is not real or that archetypes are not powerful, its that we create with our intent and belief/interpretation and make a reality.

Guest paul walter

I forgot to say that the real 'Secret' is emptiness-that IS a secret to our ego ridden culture. The Secret they are postulating is the use value of this rule which people don't usually understand and have forgotten. When you are empty you get a lot more than satisfaction of ego illusion-you get everything (even though you never asked for it or thought it was possible to be in that circumstance) . Kind of the difference between being 'content' and being 'happy'-VAST difference. Paul

You seem to have alot of disdain and hate for the ego. If you try to rid yourself of it and constantly avoid it, it then becomes an act of the ego, seeking to rid itself of this horrible thing, as it is wrong. becareful ehgo takes over. you are not speaking in an egoless fashion.

Guest paul walter

You seem to have alot of disdain and hate for the ego. If you try to rid yourself of it and constantly avoid it, it then becomes an act of the ego, seeking to rid itself of this horrible thing, as it is wrong. becareful ehgo takes over. you are not speaking in an egoless fashion.

Yeah yeah I know, heard it all before, problems with tone/earnestness in emailing/communication. "Disdain and hate"-wouldn't even give "it"/me that time of day. Because I know all the ins and outs you are suggesting I have a 'distrustful' relationship to the idea of ego. If you want a forum where I will talk nice and understanding about the ego I can do that too. Suppose that's my ego protecting itself? Life as lived is different from thinking about ones self. Keep smiling.Paul

yes it is bs

rami shapiro wrote a thing on this, i'm trying to find it...

The Secret, is it BS? (Law Of Attraction).

There is some truth in it, but also a whole lot of BS mixed into it. Also as it is taught, it is very materialistic and materialism is what prohibits LOA from working, as it fractures and structures intent and thus puts exactly the kind of limitations on intent that LOA tries to overcome. So in other words, if you believe that the world is run by the laws of physics and you think that a bicycle is just so much matter formed as a bicycle, then no matter how hard you squint your eyes and wish for it to come to you, it won't come, as your REAL intent has been vested into explaining to yourself why there is no way in hell the bike cannot come (due to laws of physics and reality constraints which you believe in, etc.). So the way LOA is taught is wrong. It's taught as something to help materialize your greed into the world, and that won't work. LOA is also problematic in that it can be used to justify callous treatment of others (like, well your life is crap because you attract crap into it, so I won't help you or I won't feel sorry for you, etc.).

It's not BS at all. It's ancient wisdom marketed well to seem like a .. you got it.. "secret". And she made tons of money off it.

What do you mean, goldisheavy? You can use the 'secret' for material goods if you want.. it's just based on "as ye sow so shall ye reap", and positive visualization. If you want to be the boss of your own company just because you love money, you can use it equally towards that goal. The same can be said if you want to use it to attain enlightenment.

Edited by DaoChild