Spiritualseeker

Buddhism and taoism?

Hello everyone,

So what are some main differences between Taoism and Buddhism? Also for those who have chosen Taoism as their way of life and religion is there anything particular that makes you like taoism over buddhism?

I'm more of a Buddhist than a Taoist, but I think Taoism is certainly more relaxed and laid back than Buddhism. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a tradition, Taoists seek not to strive or exert themselves but to achieve goals effortlessly like nature, so they don't get involved in debates with others. I don't know if this is right.

I see. I think buddhism is also like that though. You dont really get into debates. Atleast the Thich Nhat hanh version. I love buddhism though but since I am going to be majoring in Chinese Medicine I thought maybe ill investigate Taoism and perhaps in the future I will make it as my religion.

I see. I think buddhism is also like that though. You dont really get into debates.

Oh no, I think you're severely underestimating the level of effortlessness sought by Taoists. :lol: I'm a fellow member of E-Sangha BTW.

there was just a whole thread on the differences, are you talking about just technique or the actual view and philosophy?

well theres an active thread right now that talks about the difference in philosophy

as to the training, it depends on which school. buddhism is very systematic and formulated, its a science. there are many techniques depending on the school (tibetan tantric buddhist techniques are different than theravada or zen) but they all have something in common. you begin with shamata, or concentrative exercise such as working with the breath, and then you do vipashyana which is formless exercise. vajrayana (tibetan) also works with the subtle body and energy to speed up the process.

taoist practices also incorporate similar tantric elements as vajrayana, and concentration, and even formless maybe.

but in buddhism the view is the most important thing, secondary to method. if you look at the active thread discussing Buddhism and Tao, maybe you'll see why the view might be different.

I'm more of a Buddhist than a Taoist, but I think Taoism is certainly more relaxed and laid back than Buddhism. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a tradition, Taoists seek not to strive or exert themselves but to achieve goals effortlessly like nature, so they don't get involved in debates with others. I don't know if this is right.

for me, this is why i lean towards taoism more so than buddism...i like the fact that it's more relaxed....not a rigid religion.....doesn't mean i won't get into a debate though.. ;)

Hello everyone,

So what are some main differences between Taoism and Buddhism? Also for those who have chosen Taoism as their way of life and religion is there anything particular that makes you like taoism over buddhism?

Why? It just makes sense. You know how sometimes you are attracted to something for no good reason? It just feels.. like home? Right? That's the only way I can describe it. I've never even been remotely attracted to Buddhism, but I feel the calling to Daoism in my bones.

Why? It just makes sense. You know how sometimes you are attracted to something for no good reason? It just feels.. like home? Right? That's the only way I can describe it. I've never even been remotely attracted to Buddhism, but I feel the calling to Daoism in my bones.

One should look at all feeliings objectively, because every arising is dependently originated, therey even if it feels good to be pulled towards smething, doesn't mean it's the best direction as it could just have to do with past lives, thus the feeling of, "home".

Though... being pulled towards Toaism is good.

One should look at all feeliings objectively, because every arising is dependently originated, therey even if it feels good to be pulled towards smething, doesn't mean it's the best direction as it could just have to do with past lives, thus the feeling of, "home".

Though... being pulled towards Toaism is good.

I'm being pulled toward raping hookers, it feels good, it's my path.

:P

Edited by mikaelz

No. I think it's a pretty good analogy.

"Feeling home" should only be secondary to scrutiny and logic. Karma shows that feelings aren't always from the "Higher Self" or whatever you may term the wisdom of Mind

Edited by mikaelz

That is quite a good way of putting it. I suppose there is much less rules in Taoism? I like the freedom. I would think Taoism, is more like a living organism, it keeps expanding and anything could be added to it. Do you guys feel the same way?

That is quite a good way of putting it. I suppose there is much less rules in Taoism? I like the freedom. I would think Taoism, is more like a living organism, it keeps expanding and anything could be added to it. Do you guys feel the same way?

in Buddhism you have all the freeedom in the woorrlddd, as long as you recognize that there is no permanent independent self and that everything is interconnected

in Buddhism you have all the freeedom in the woorrlddd, as long as you recognize that there is no permanent independent self and that everything is interconnected

Maybe in Sutra but Vajrayana has samaya and practice committments.

the samayas are just about being ethical, not hurting anyone, not doubting the teachings, and practicing. i think they fall into common sense.

if you expect not to meditate, to sexually harm and hurt other sentient beings, then yes Buddhism has no freedom.

Taoism teaches us to view the world and cosmos as ourself. We are taught that everything stems from the same source...Wuji-void-nothingness. To compare things would be to initiate a duality and create 10,000 things.

Taoism also allow us to look at two sides of the coin. I feel that the major difference of the pure tradition of Taoism and Buddhism is that Taoism really isn't as passive. Taoism teaches us to seize the right moment and to take action in our lives in the present of every moment.

There are a lot of similiarities because after the Ming dynasty Taoism took on religious ceremony, rituals and more promotional type attributes. This stemmed from taking on things from Buddhism and Confucianism. This is the Taoism you see today in the public temples. However, the underlying practices and traditional teachings are still Taoist.

I cannot talk too much about Buddhism because I don't know the in-depth teachings but I hope this helps a little. There is also different types of Buddhism.

Tao Bless,

Wudangspirit

Hello everyone,