DaoChild

Qigong Meditation: Embryonic Breathing By Yang Jwing-Ming

I have this. Its all very basic but very important and effective stuff. IMHO it would be a good addition to any meditator's library. Seems like the translations are decently accurate, a great many of which can provide subtle insights into practice. This stuff's very foundational and I've assimilated it into my practices, use these methods every day.

I only have the video on this subject by the same author. There are a lot of basic things explained but the method itself does not become very clear. Accent of the presenter, the organization of topics - all these contribute to this issue. But have not read the book, which is probably better than the video.

I have read YJM and have decided that although he covers the material I am interested in, Ken Cohen is more trustworthy.

I have heard that YJM doesnt have the grasp of the material to give as accurate account of it as KC.

Like Joe, I have assimilated it into my practices, use these methods every day. It is basic and fundamental and all good taoist practitioners should have learned it and assimilated it.

I have read YJM and have decided that although he covers the material I am interested in, Ken Cohen is more trustworthy.

I saw a video of YJM and couldnt get myself to trust his teaching after that. I dont trust Ken Cohen either after reading that he say Kan and Li is just visualizing water and fire in the belly.

But Im sure for the basic stuff, like learning meditation and qigong for the first time and get better health, they are both more than enough.

Hi Sheng Zen.

My hunch is, that is KC quoted out of context, because he is a truthful and trustworthy teacher, person, taoist.

Hi Sheng Zen.

My hunch is, that is KC quoted out of context, because he is a truthful and trustworthy teacher, person, taoist.

Yes, I actually thought about that right now. I think I got it from an audio recording where he guided the meditation. I will try to contact him to hear what he has to say about it.

I am sure he is a wonderful person! No doubt about that! People can still get some things wrong, or have half-way understandings, be a little deluded about some things. While at the same time in other areas they are geniuses and really wonderful people.

Yes. :)

Have you read KC's books? Met him? Worked with his video's?

I have, and really, he isnt delusional :lol: . He is highly educated and pretty much a Sage.

Yes. :)

Have you read KC's books? Met him? Worked with his video's?

I have, and really, he isnt delusional :lol: . He is highly educated and pretty much a Sage.

I have only seen some of his videos and scanned though some of his books.

Cat, what have you learned from Ken Cohen? Did you do Kan and Li meditation with him?

Edited by sheng zhen

No, Sheng, I didnt do K&L with him. I did ask him what he thought about Mantak Chia and KC was very tactful in response.

I learned a form of Primordial qigong from him , which is an amazing form which only he teaches. I was lucky enough to learn this when he came to London via the British Taoist Association. He was very generous in talking to us and eating meals with us, and has given interviews for the Journal. He has such a soft energy. He was, I felt, the closest to an androgynous creature I'd ever meet.

His book was the first one I ever read about Qigong, and it was through his practices that I first began to open the orbit. His newer book is about his work with Native American Indians, with whom he also has a longtime association.

He is a real medicine man, taoism and native american practices have been his entire life's work. Forgive me, I'm sure you know all this! I'm just an enthusiast. His book on Qigong is one of my most well thumbed works.

And also his tape on breathing is super effective. I was in deep relaxation for days after doing it just once.

I worked with his video on Qigong for many months, it teaches many excercises and he is great to practice along with.

No, Sheng, I didnt do K&L with him. I did ask him what he thought about Mantak Chia and KC was very tactful in response.

oooh....interesting. What did he say about Mantak Chia? Im very sceptical about visualization as a practice to do anything about taoist alchemy and feel that adding vizualisations only brings more delution than real attainment. And Mantak Chis is THEEE taoist vizualisator of all taoist vizualisators, so it would be interesting to hear what Cohen said about that.

Im very sceptical about visualization as a practice to do anything about taoist alchemy and feel that adding vizualisations

Really?

I assumed that it's quite universal that one starts with visualization.

As energy follows the mind etc.

There is a reason why T.T. Liang called his book "Imaginations Becomes Reality"

Edited by evZENy

Really?

I assumed that it's quite universal that one starts with visualization.

As energy follows the mind etc.

There is a reason why T.T. Liang called his book "Imaginations Becomes Reality"

I can imagine my MCO running full of qi. I can do that right now in my head. I can do it in my body too. I can do it for many weeks and months!. It dosent mean it really is running full of qi. It only means it is happening in my imagination. If Im lucky maybe a little qi will start running. But it will most probaly just be internal feeling happening in my visualizations.

The reason I am so sceptical about visualization is that I have been doing it for many many years. Lots of visualizations for everything. But also many times these last years I have seen how things are behind the visualizations. Mostly during stillness retreats.

Take seeing auras for example. I have been visualizing auras for many years and my visualizations have responded to the individual so I can do a reading and see a few things. But the few times my visualizations have NOT come in the way of the real thing, I have discovered that the aura is nothing like my visualization. Nothing at all! Visualizing aura becomes so futile, so limiting, so meaningless. It becomes just fantacy. The real thing is so different, and SO MUCH more than the visualizations that it becomes embarracing to keep visualizing it. The only thing that matters to me now is to undo all my false visualizations and beliefsystems and try all my best to open up to reality.

Ken Cohen said that any practice that balance opposites like Kan and Li, Hun and po, Yin and Yang, are good enough. I understand that. Everything has its place. So it just depends on what level of Kan and Li unity you shoot for.

Edited by sheng zhen

I have heard that YJM doesnt have the grasp of the material to give as accurate account of it as KC.

Like Joe, I have assimilated it into my practices, use these methods every day. It is basic and fundamental and all good taoist practitioners should have learned it and assimilated it.

On topic, this particular piece is absolutely top notch, imho. As to where YJM's expertise gives way to the theoretical, its certainly outside of this book :)