Sign in to follow this  
Squatting Monkey

Life Begins At 40

So, later this week I'll be hitting my 40th birthday.

Probably half of my life over and time to reflect.

I'd be interested in opinions from some of the more 'senior' members as to ways in which they've come to terms with this milestone.

Possibly adjustments in physical, mental and spiritual disciplines.

Myself, I've never felt better in all of these. Still feel as active as I was in my twenties. Definitely more relaxed, mindful and focussed.

This, I think, has all stemmed from lots of walking, cultivation in meditation, nei gong, zhan zhuang and my study of Buddhist teachings.

So, does life begin at 40 ? Or is it a continuation of all the good work done in the previous years.

Happy birthday!

You sound about the same as me and I'll be 45 in a month. I haven't felt too much of the physical decline that many people experience by the time they get in their 40's.

I guess I've lost a little bit of that firey, get up and go energy, but my endurance is better now. So, for me, the energy has changed a little bit but I wouldn't say I have any less energy than when I was 25. I consider it "lifestyle qigong". Using energy more wisely.

Turning 30 was the difficult b-day for me, for some reason. Turning 40 was great. I wouldn't want to be any younger.

So, did life begin at 40 for me? No. Not really. I guess my interests and goals are more defined now, and I have more money, but, other than that and more life experience to draw upon, I haven't noticed much difference.

But hey, 50 is the new 40, so we'll see what that brings.

Happy Birthday!

I have no idea if life 'begins at 40' but many friends tell me it's way more fun and not half as horrible as turning 30 (which in my experience was like hell on a stick).

Anyway, 40 y.o. you is a different animal from 20 y.o. you or 30 y.o. you and I think none of them have much to envy the others. I also would not assume that getting older necessarily comes with physical decline. In fact I've seen some stunning transformations when folks started taking better care of themselves around that age, they actually looked BETTER in their 40's than they ever did before (and not due to having increased cash to spend on silly surgeries - well, we hope;-))

Besides, with so many 'kidults' around (still at home beyond 25;-)) 40 is basically a teenager;-)

I wish you all the best for this coming year. May it bring you health and happiness.

Kate

Happy Birthday!

I think this right here outlines my exact thoughts on why life does start at 40 and maybe even 50.

Quote:

This, I think, has all stemmed from lots of walking, cultivation in meditation, nei gong, zhan zhuang and my study of Buddhist teachings.

Sign in to follow this