woody

Tai Chi Qigong Shibashi

Yes, I practice the first level form almost every day, it's one of my favorites. It's pretty easy to learn, there are videos on the web. I learned it from the video you can get at http://www.taichi18.com/. After practicing it for about a year, I went up to Toronto to take a workshop on it with Sifu Cheung. He makes corrections, and adds relaxation and meditation practices to create a more complete session. There are also videos on YouTube with the creator of the form, Master Lin Housheng. Some of the 18 movements are taken from tai chi (like repulse monkey and wave hands like clouds) but without the footwork. It can also be used as a good warmup for tai chi or other activities. I really enjoy doing this form. There is also a good book on the first level form: The Theory and Practice of Taiji Qigong by Chris Jarmey.

I plan to start working on the second level soon. I've heard there are even higher levels, maybe five or seven, but haven't found any documentation on those. If anyone here has any info on the higher levels, could you please share it? Thanks in advance.

Hry guys on there are two forms the first and second level. Some of the second level forms focus more on the legs and hurt my knees,some dont. Do you think its okay to take out the moves That i am okay with and ignore the other ones and just add the moves from the second form to the first one to make a longer form? Or do you think that would cause something energetcally?

Yes, I practice the first level form almost every day, it's one of my favorites. It's pretty easy to learn, there are videos on the web. I learned it from the video you can get at http://www.taichi18.com/. After practicing it for about a year, I went up to Toronto to take a workshop on it with Sifu Cheung. He makes corrections, and adds relaxation and meditation practices to create a more complete session. There are also videos on YouTube with the creator of the form, Master Lin Housheng. Some of the 18 movements are taken from tai chi (like repulse monkey and wave hands like clouds) but without the footwork. It can also be used as a good warmup for tai chi or other activities. I really enjoy doing this form. There is also a good book on the first level form: The Theory and Practice of Taiji Qigong by Chris Jarmey.

I plan to start working on the second level soon. I've heard there are even higher levels, maybe five or seven, but haven't found any documentation on those. If anyone here has any info on the higher levels, could you please share it? Thanks in advance.

Sounds a little bit like Roger Jahnke's Tai Chi Easy program. He took number of the most common movements from Tai Chi and broke them down, let me see which ones from what I can remeber off of the top of my head. Cloud Hands, Repulse the Monkey, Brush Knee, and there are a few more but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Hry guys on there are two forms the first and second level. Some of the second level forms focus more on the legs and hurt my knees,some dont. Do you think its okay to take out the moves That i am okay with and ignore the other ones and just add the moves from the second form to the first one to make a longer form? Or do you think that would cause something energetcally?

Hi Ramon, there is a forum dedicated to the Shibashi forms where you could ask questions about this:

Tai Chi Qigong Shibashi Forum

Sifu Cheung does note that the second level is more physically challenging, and suggests doing the first level as a warm up, or doing some other warm up exercises. It was designed to bring more energy to the lower body in comparison with the first level. I hope he will do another workshop on the second level next year.

I know the 2 sets. Got to admit that while I like them I virtually never practice them by myself. We do them to break up our tai chi class. Also the 1st set is great for the beginners, something easier to remember that they can practice while trying to learn our tai chi long form and it also prepares them for the later moves in the yang form. My tai chi teacher occasionally likes to do the 2nd set in class for a change now and then.

As for pain etc. When doing paint the rainbow I need to take it really easy and slowly extend the range of movement over the repetitions. Otherwise it hurts my back. They are all nice, controlled, slow movements. So don't "push through" to get somewhere or "look like the rest of the class" Just do what feels good and range of motion, balance and strength will come naturally over time.

No rush, enjoy the movements and have fun :D