Thunder_Gooch

Nei Gong: Taoist Process of Internal Change

I had permission to teach and what I present is my art. people can take it or leave it. The foundations come from the line we have discussed but there are a great many elements from my other teachers. I make no attempt to hide the fact that I practice an art which has passed on to me from a variety of places and people.

But I will indeed speak to my Uncle, he did after all teach a part of what I now teach. Everything that I teach from Taiji Quan I have permission for from him. The teachings from other sources have also been approved by my teachers. If there have been any errors though, I will rectify them. Don't want to rub people up the wrong way.

I had permission to teach and what I present is my art. people can take it or leave it. The foundations come from the line we have discussed but there are a great many elements from my other teachers. I make no attempt to hide the fact that I practice an art which has passed on to me from a variety of places and people.

But I will indeed speak to my Uncle, he did after all teach a part of what I now teach. Everything that I teach from Taiji Quan I have permission for from him. The teachings from other sources have also been approved by my teachers. If there have been any errors though, I will rectify them. Don't want to rub people up the wrong way.

Poor young fellow....Why don't we all show a little understanding and compassion here, instead of "lovingly" ripping his head off, for his own good :-)

"My" Taiji is not "mine"....just like "my" life, is not "mine"....Taiji is too big for that ......yes, yes, we all have had teachers and hopefully are all still learning and evolving and maturing. There is something (though, not much, I believe) to be said for lineage and transmission and rankings and the rest, but I believe that there is much more to be said about sharing from your heart with good intentions. That being said, sure, it's important to "tell the truth" as far as your advertising and to teach the most "authentic" system that you can teach and only to teach what you have experienced yourself.

Lastly, it has been my experience that teachers and students come together at a certain time, for a given time period, for a reason. I really don't "sweat" (though I used to) a student joining my group or leaving my group, as I know that I don't know, what may be "right" for any given student at a given time in terms of their "path" in the universe....(the two of us were clearly meant to meet and share for a time, since we did, and then a new time begins, where they may move on)... and that there is a much wiser and greater power than puny little me that "runs" the show.....so I wish them the best and always welcome them back.

Peace and best wishes.

.... it has been my experience that teachers and students come together at a certain time, for a given time period, for a reason. I really don't "sweat" (though I used to) a student joining my group or leaving my group, as I know that I don't know, what may be "right" for any given student at a given time in terms of their "path" in the universe....(the two of us were clearly meant to meet and share for a time, since we did, and then a new time begins, where they may move on)... and that there is a much wiser and greater power than puny little me that "runs" the show.....so I wish them the best and always welcome them back.

Peace and best wishes.

Whilst I agree in general with your sentiments regarding the coming and going of students and the "perhaps" unseen influence of greater powers than ourselves, I can not and never will support or condone a relatively inexperienced student claiming supposed knowledge and building a web of deceit and dishonesty (if you want to see what kind of web google "lotus neigong") in order to present it in a favourable light to others as their personal experience and understanding for the motive of personal and financial gain.

Damo makes public claims to have "lineage" knowledge from Dr. Shen Hongxun and from Phil James: neither of these claims are true. He claims to have studied with his uncle, Phil James, (one of my senior students,) since he was 14 years old. This morning Phil rang me to tell me, amongst other things, that he did not even meet Damo until he was 23.

If your teacher lies about the basics of his history and how he related to and studied with his teachers, how much else of what he presents is likely to be of truth and value?

all in all a sad affair

Hello Mr Brewer

I would not normally bother to reply to these kind of posts however .....

As you can see from my username I am the admin person for Lotus Nei Gong, I also happen to be Damo's mother and Phil James is married to my older sister. As you seem to be attacking my son and his school I thought that I should reply to your post.

First - My brother in law Phil James, one of my son's teachers. Your most recent post quotes Phil as saying that he didn't meet his nephew until he was 23, I was shocked to read this and have since phoned Phil to discuss this untruth - there has been a family disagreement which for personal reasons I will not discuss with anyone outside the family, and it seems that Phil has decided to distance himself from us which is his choice. That is fine and we accept his decision but I do feel that I should set the record straight.

Due to distance Ann & Phil did not meet Damo until he was approx 2 years old which is a few years out from Phils memory, Damo started learning Taiji in his teens - this he started with his father Paul until he tranferred his training largely to Phil. If anyone is interested we have a 'You tube' video of our family photo's including a picture of teenage Damo with his father and uncle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NWU21qdiKQ...yer_profilepage

Family disagreements are always difficult and Damo has felt that his hands have been tied whilst trying to deal with these issues as he didn't wish to deepen the rift within the family. However as Phil has decided to mis inform you about the family ties I felt it necessary to reply.

Secondly - Lack of experience as mentioned in your post - We are a family with many years experience in teaching martial arts, from the link above you will see that Damo although relatively young has a great deal of experience in many arts. You will also notice that his father and I are on all of the courses that he teaches and unfortunately we are not young and definately not without experience! My husband Paul even recommended Taiji to Phil in the first place. What he is not experienced in is dealing with the political rubbish that unfortunately seems to surround the Internal Arts - diplomats we are not, Martial Artists we are!

Thirdly - Personal and Financial gain - this is a difficult one. Obviously every organisation need to make a certain amount of profit to survive - LNG is no different, probably not much different from Heaven Mountain.

Fourth - this question of Lineage - Phil claimed to be a lineage holder under Shen Honxun - a claim he stated in front of several witnesses, Damo was then told by his uncle it had passed to him. If this claim from Phil is untrue then Damo apologises and is quite happy to withdraw this claim (something he has already spoken to his students about).

As you stated in your post Mr Brewer - if a teacher lies, how can you trust anything else he says? The world is full of people with axes to grind and unfortunately this has now impacted on our family.

I am very sad that our family has fragmented in this way and I do hope that my relationship is not damaged beyond repair with my dear sister who I know sits in the middle of this.

Go in peace

Love Chris Mitchell

Edited by LNGAdmin
  • Like 2

I personally have spent time in China with Damo.

He came with me to Wudang on two separate occasions to study Qigong and Internal Alchemy with a teacher of mine at that time...

It was back in 2006 or 2007 if I remember correctly.

Very nice guy, and very hard worker....

I was most impressed that in addition to the VERY hard meditation training schedule, he would jog daily to a very far away cliff side temple in the free time between afternoon and evening class to practice his forms and stuff.

Hard working guy, and serious....

Lets see more love and unity.......

We all have the same aim......

To deeply understand these internal arts, and gain wisdom from direct personal experience.....

Edited by dao zhen
  • Like 1

Hard working guy, and serious....

Lets see more love and unity.......

We all have the same aim......

To deeply understand these internal arts, and gain wisdom from direct personal experience.....

A ray of sun descends on a cloudy day, a breath of crisp air refreshes a stuffy room. I rejoice that our brother dao zhen has paid us a visit.

At the same time as my return from my post hiatus too.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I'd love to hear what you are up to these days. Not studying with Teacher Hu anymore I take it?

Yours,

Tyler

Well the first thing i do when i am interested in what someone is teaching/saying on the subject of tai chi is look for videos of them to see if they have any skill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9QZ_IAdTw

I would disable my ratings too if i had such a ludicrous video. This one is going on my tai cheese compilation. Although, my last video on 'side to side' inguinal crease development must seem pretty ridiculous to a lot people, heheheh.

Edited by Trevcaru

If they were going to go to that much effort to scam people, I would think they'd at least get a working website :P

• Like 2

Have you read jerry johnsons book?

Is there an echo echo in here? ;)

Guess I should read the Damo one eh?

Though I am more than a bit biased...

what if this is a thread of a bunch of made up accounts by the same person in an effort to sell a $500 book

Dog.jpeg

Edited by SonOfTheGods

what if this is a thread of a bunch of made up accounts by the same person in an effort to sell a $500 book

There are/were some like that in the past... We do our best to have that not happen though.

I have read Damo Mitchell's book and I loved it.

Since I'm still new to all this, please, let me ask you experts / senior practitioners:

In order to practice Nei Gong (internal form) is it always necessary to train as a martial artist meaining to combat others, to fight?

I've seen some of Damo's videos and in some is shown what it seems a SEAL boot camp... Does one need to train this hard for internal / spiritual gain?

Since I'm still new to all this, please, let me ask you experts / senior practitioners:

In order to practice Nei Gong (internal form) is it always necessary to train as a martial artist meaining to combat others, to fight?

I've seen some of Damo's videos and in some is shown what it seems a SEAL boot camp... Does one need to train this hard for internal / spiritual gain?

You might want to qualify "internal/spiritual gain".  What, specifically, do you want?  It's important that you know. 

“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"

"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."

"I don't much care where –"

"Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”

Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

• Like 1

I don't know if you need to go to "SEAL boot camp" lengths (I'd be interested in a link to the specific video you're referring to, because I've been reading Damo's books lately - Heavenly Streams is excellent, as a side note - and he doesn't come off as quite that hardcore on the physical training), and in fact I've always been told that that level of physical training (bodybuilder type stuff) is counterproductive, but even teachers I've corresponded with on the Hermetic side of things stress that you need a strong foundation in the physical body if you want to achieve serious energetic or spiritual attainment. A weak and tense body will be full of energy blockages and stagnations, unable to handle the energy flow of a heavy meditative practice, which can lead to some serious blowback (as I discovered for myself). Likewise poor diet, excessive chemical intake, poor sexual practices, etc. all strain the body, draining it of energy and thowing it off balance until if you indulge in these habits sufficiently they can be enough to counteract any progress you'd otherwise be making.

A good example is the Yogi's of India and the work they went to to cultivate a healthy, limber body with diet and asana practice. They weren't martial artists, their goals were purely spiritual, so obviously they felt that it was beneficial enough to dedicate a significant amount of their practice to it.

• Like 2

Hello Aeran,

I don't know if you need to go to "SEAL boot camp" lengths (I'd be interested in a link to the specific video you're referring to, because I've been reading Damo's books lately - Heavenly Streams is excellent, as a side note - and he doesn't come off as quite that hardcore on the physical training),

I can't find the other video I was referring to, but here you can get the idea (fastforward to min. 3:05):

That just looks like standard martial arts stuff to me, other than the training in water (that can't be fun in Sweden).

I don't think it's necessary to have quite that level of physical development to progress spiritually, but it certainly can't hurt. The main thing as I understand it is a reasonably fit (ie. some form of regular, moderate intensity physical exercise) and limber (this especially, since I can attest personally that tension and poor posture lead to blockages) body.

• Like 1

Damo teaches external as well as internal martial arts, though for the Nei gong practice, there is an emphasis on conditioning the body first via simple core work and mainly stretches. The foundtions of this system concentrate around standing forms (WuJi) and awakening the LDT via these (weight over K1, fold at kwa to bring centre of gravity into LDT, and control of breathing & yi), so the physical body is important.

However, the boot camp style external training is only for the external martial arts. That's not to say it would be detrimental to internal training, but certainly not necessary.

• Like 2