Thunder_Gooch

Nei Gong: Taoist Process of Internal Change

http://www.amazon.com/Nei-Gong-Taoist-Proc.../dp/0956151205/

http://www.lotusneigong.co.uk

Does anyone know anything about this system or book?

Sounds interesting.

I also notice some *drumroll* spontaneous qigong in there too... :lol:

Jing and Dong

Stillness and Movement

One amazing phenomenon which takes place during Nei Gong practice is something we call spontaneous energetic movement. As Qi flows through our energy system it begins to find blockages which are gradually pushed out of our body. As these blockages are cleared out, our physical body reacts by producing an uncontrollable movement. These movements usually begin with small vibrations or shaking which progress over time to large, dance like movements with lots of jumping and spinning as shown in the picture below.

lotusneigong007001.jpeg

This is according to the Taoist principles of movement being created from stillness. Eventually when the energy body is clear, the practitioner returns to stillness and so in this way we can say that the rule is: Jing, Dong, Jing!

After a person has been through these movements they often feel a lot happier and relaxed. They will also find that many of their health problems have vanished.

I wonder what the name and which exact part of their system this is?

Not to mention some orthodox Taoist sources:

Meditation can be used to heal illness, calm the mind and rasie ourself to higher levels of consciousness. We know this as Transcendent Comprehension or Enlightenment.

Our Meditation courses are taught through a combination of preparatory exercises, theoretical lectures and sitting sessions. The teachings are passed on verbally as well as through direct mind to mind transmission.

Theory is according to the Taoist classics of the Dao De Jing and Yi Jing, the Quanzhen tradition and the Yi Jin Jing Classic of TaMo.

His Nei Gong taoist process of internal change page http://www.lotusneigong.co.uk/lotusneigong_003.htm

reminds me of Kumar Frantzis 16 part Nei Gung system. Thats awesome he teaches and practices the Hun Yuan Nei gung/tai chi system of GM Feng Zhiqiang. It really seems like he teaches some interesting and legitimate practices. If i was in his neck of the woods i would look him up.

Jesse

• Like 1

www.neikungla.com is a great site - very informative. Maybe it'll answer some questions. I've done this for a little under two years.

Hi

Ive been lurking on this forum for a few weeks. Sorry, should have posted earlier! Nothing worse than a lurker :)

Ive trained with Lotus Nei Gong on one of their courses last year. I did an introduction to nei kung.

I enjoyed it but not sure about the location, the course was held in mid-Wales, wouldn't go there out of choice! Would definitely go back but unfortunately work and family commitments have prevented me.

There was indeed some spontaneous qigong but it was quite a small percentage of the course. I dont know much about it but it was making me laugh when one girl kept trying to stand up but ended up with her head stuck to the floor for ages, wierd stuff :) I would like to more about it, is there much on this forum?

• Like 1

Anyone know why he calls himself Damo and doesn't use his real name? Not on his site or as the 'author' of his book.

Is he alluding to something?

"Damo has studied full time for over 24 years in 6 different countries."

If he was born in 1980 he is 29 (give or take), 24 years FULLTIME study!!! my god : P

"Damo was made a full lineage holder in the internal arts"

Mmm, now there seems to be some interesting info about what he does, but the fact the guy is using Damo and not giving out his real name, claims full lineage holder in "internal arts" (rather vague) and says he has been training full time since he was 5 then those are some rather large shoes to fill : ) and some bells that go off whether there is a fire or not.

Edited by snowmonki

Hi,

I dont really write on forums as I am not very good with computers but I saw this thread and thouht I would say hi!

I can see why you would have your doubts snowmonki. To be honest, I hate writing about myself on the net and that is why I try to keep my cv kind of brief. Unfortunately I have to put something up to get any students!

The name I was given at birth is Damien but everybody has called my Damo since I was tiny. That is pronounced Day-mo, not Dar-mo. As you can imagine, this often makes people presume I am comparing myself to the Indian monk which is really not my intention. Its kind of inevitable though. My middle name is worse though: Winston, I suppose I could shorten that to Winnie but thats kind of silly!

I started training on my fourth birthday since my entire family are martial artists and have been for a long time, before I was born. Apart from going to school and college I have always just trained. I hated it when I was younger but grew to enjoy it. I was within the Japanese martial arts until I was 14 I think but then switched over into the Chinese systems although I still train Karate sometimes.

I did actually have a break from training when I as 18 for 6 months when I kind of rebelled but dont tell any of my students! To be honest I was bored and went back to it very quickly. I was horrified at exctly how much flexibility I had lost in such a short time...

My Uncle is a full Lineage holder under Shen Hongxun and he was my main Taiji instructor for a long time. I trained under him and Shen until a few years ago and so the lineage comes down through Phil. It is, strictly speaking, a Buddhist lineage but there was a great deal of Taoism within the practices. It was Taoism that took my interest and that is what I pursue now..

I set up Lotus Nei Gong in 2005 to teach and so further my own understanding, we are fairly small and low key and I kind of like it like that. The websit is our only real advertisement and we tend to stay out of the politics within the Taiji world.

I do not profess to be any kind of master or anything like that. I am just somebody who is very sincere in what I do and has a strong passion for two things: travel and training...

Not everybody likes what I do but o well, cannot please everybody all the time.

It is nice to chat with you all here and looking through the forum it seems a lot better than most I have been on, there seems to be far less arguments and discussions about what works in a MMA ring!

Damo (Damien)

Oh yes, the book...

The book was put together for my students mainly as a guide to the process we work through in our school. It is not a traditional process as such as I was taught in a rather haphazard manner! I had to try and put everything into a systematic order. This was the Nei Gong process within the book.

I am not a natural writer and my first book is a little disjointed but this is made up for by the excellent cartoons put into the book by one of my students, Spencer Hill.

Edited by Damo
  • Like 3

Sounds interesting.

I also notice some *drumroll* spontaneous qigong in there too... :lol:I wonder what the name and which exact part of their system this is?

Not to mention some orthodox Taoist sources:

You can find those "Induced Qi Flow and Spontaneous QiGong exercises" In Wong Kiew Kit's books too.

Hi More_Pie_Guy

The system that I hold the lienage within is Taiji from Yang Chen Fu, Dong Yin Ji, Yao Huanzi through to my two teachers: Shen and my Uncle. A lot of the energy work though comes from Yi JiMay, Xia Zixing's line.

Ha ha, Tian Zhaoling is in there somewhere too but not exactly sure how it fits in to be honest. Shen trained with several sources although he claims the purest line came through Yao Huanzi.

Shen is also part of a Buddhist lineage that comes through Lama Fahai.

Shen was very interested in the TCM side of the studies whilst my Uncle (Phil James) was more focused on the Meditation practice. Phil is very advanced in his meditation studies but only teaches locally which is a shame, he lives in a small bungalow in the Welsh valleys and pours most of his energy into this.

I am also a student of one of Feng ZiQiangs line (Ni Yuanhai) but do not hold any lineage in this. I love the HunYuan system of Taiji but do not understand it as well as the Yang system.

Hmmm, accomplishments the lineage holders held? Not sure what you mean there? Shen wasin charge of a hospital in China and Phil is really good on the harmonica! Is that any good?

Damo

I didnt know that Wong Kiew Kit used spontaneous movement. I dont know much about him to be honest, anybody want to share any info on him?

Edited by Damo

The book is largely the system from Phil combined with my studies over the past few years in China although I was taught with very little theory. Taoism for me is the easiest language to use. There are also elements from Yogic traditions and other sources in order to try and provide the most rounded method of internal development as I currently see it.

That being said, it is only an introducation and I am only 28, many more years practice ahead and I am sure ideas will develop and change, I hope so anyway!

What do you train in More_Pie_Guy?

Edited by Damo

The book is largely the system from above although I was taught with very little theory. Taoism for me is the easiest language to use. There are also elements from Yogic traditions and other sources in order to try and provide the most rounded method of internal development as I currently see it.

That being said, it is only an introducation and I am only 28, many more years practice ahead and I am sure ideas will develop and change, I hope so anyway!

What do you train in More_Pie_Guy?

Spring Forest Qigong, and some introductory Long Men Pai exercises. As well as a few other similar systems ;)

I am interested in your book, if you would sell me a pdf/doc cheaper than a printed copy I would buy it.

Right now my my practice revolves around achieving a deep state of trance where my senses are very dulled and time flows faster than normally outside of myself, while focusing and feeling chi accumulate in my lower dan tein. Also I do some standing meditation push and pull hands etc.

Right now my my practice revolves around achieving a deep state of trance where my senses are very dulled and time flows faster than normally outside of myself

Interesting... any leads to practical info about this by any chance?

Interesting... any leads to practical info about this by any chance?

Sure read up on robert bruce's work, and chunyi lin of spring forest qigong. To me the deep trance state where your senses are dulled or almost completely disconnected from reality is the sweet spot for meditation. Chunyi lin of spring forest qigong calls it the emptiness.

Some of Robert's free stuff. http://www.astraldynamics.com/tutorials/ne...ways/index.html

http://www.springforestqigong.com

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Sure read up on robert bruce's work, and chunyi lin of spring forest qigong. To me the deep trance state where your senses are dulled or almost completely disconnected from reality is the sweet spot for meditation. Chunyi lin of spring forest qigong calls it the emptiness.

Some of Robert's free stuff. http://www.astraldynamics.com/tutorials/ne...ways/index.html

http://www.springforestqigong.com

that is good and valueable information (in an ideal world good and valuable are interchangable imo, not that if it's expensive that it must be good. and i don't think 'you get what you pay for' applies here either ;)

it's good information on the matter in my opinion, so thank you for letting me know about the link and thank robert for his site. by the way, isn't robert also on this forum also?

(and maybe chunyi lin should be invited also) ;)

thanks

froggie

as normin who liked stormin once said...bovine scatalogs...pie dude...shit son...it aint dullness...thats just whats in yer head...shit...disconnected...it aint that boy...its BEIN connected...gaddam...ya aint payin attention boy...n whyd ya go n sign up a new name mat...that cabin a yours got tha net n all that...kinda kills tha point a bein in isolation dont it...or did ya chickin outa that...hell if ya wanted a new name we coulda fownd one for ya...sumtin snapie like doormat...hahahahaha...damn...ya...all them folks meditatin all them thousands a years jest ta be DULL...gaddam...shoulda listned ta them folks who told ya ta lay offa them squirel brains...

• Like 1

as normin who liked stormin once said...bovine scatalogs...pie dude...shit son...it aint dullness...thats just whats in yer head...shit...disconnected...it aint that boy...its BEIN connected...gaddam...ya aint payin attention boy...n whyd ya go n sign up a new name mat...that cabin a yours got tha net n all that...kinda kills tha point a bein in isolation dont it...or did ya chickin outa that...hell if ya wanted a new name we coulda fownd one for ya...sumtin snapie like doormat...hahahahaha...damn...ya...all them folks meditatin all them thousands a years jest ta be DULL...gaddam...shoulda listned ta them folks who told ya ta lay offa them squirel brains...

I am going to quote master Lin here, I hope he wont mind.

Three Secrets of Practicing Qigong Effectively

1) Go into the emptiness

Countless different Qigong and meditation exercises exist. All teach the basic idea of

using consciousness to go into the emptiness where thoughts ultimately cease or greatly

diminish and sensory connections to our bodies fade. We and everything in our world are all

from the emptiness and will go back to the emptiness. It is a state of pure energy where we

are one with the universe.

Our bodies naturally direct us to the emptiness. When we get sick, for example, the

first place we go is not to the hospital, but to bed. When we sleep, we feel relaxed and

peaceful. We bring our mind and body into the emptiness. Everybody does this automatic

meditation without noticing it during sleep and periods of deep relaxation. Most of our daily

energy blockages are opened and resolved in this way The deeper you go into the emptiness,

the faster your body will heal. By practicing Qigong we go into the emptiness where we

effortlessly balance the Yin and Yang, the female and male energy. As the balance of energy

comes back, the body heals.

2) Keep it simple

My masters told me the most powerful is usually the simplest.

Many Qigong exercises are too complicated and cloaked with mystery. Qigong, in its

fundamental form, is very simple. For instance, it is very easy to open energy channels.

When you open your fingers, all the energy channels in the hands open. When you move

your heels up and down, you open all six energy channels in the feet. It is not necessary to

learn complicated movements to open channels and release blocks.

3) Use your consciousness

When doing Qigong exercise, we use sensation of the body to feel the moving Qi. How

we use our mind influences the flow of Qi. Positive thoughts, for example, encourage you to

gain back your health and instantaneously direct Qi in optimal ways. Negative thoughts, on

the other hand, discourage you from fulfilling your task, block energy, and create sickness.

-Chunyi Lin Spring Forest Qigong

• Like 1

Hi Damo

Sorry for the belated reply.

Thank you for coming on here and posting about yourself, your experiences and what you teach.

I will freely admit that that is why i wondered about the name thing : ) I had noticed you used the spelling Tamo to refer to the Indian monk in question though i still wondered ha ha. Thanks for clarifying that. I suppose i still react after dealing with people using appropriated names in psuedo native American teachings, as well as the occasional odd Japanese/Chinese name shift.

I have been involved in things since i was a child too, but i wouldn't say i had been doing them full-time for 20 or so years, but that's me. No offence meant, I just suppose i personally would not choose to word things that way.

You've definitely had an interesting life so far though!

I had amazon or someone send me a link to your book a while ago, it certainly sounds interesting i will check it our again. If i am likely to be over in the Wales direction, i might give you a heads up and come your way, I know that these things can only be understood in person and i prefer experience and chatting face to face.

MWight

Thanks, an interesting post indeed. Doc Morris used a blend of his version of zen along with qigong because he said that without the emptiness the qigong is worth sh*t. Simple is good, why complicate things. My neigong teacher, to paraphrase, says the more that is going on outside the harder it is to have anything going on inside, the less that is going on outside and the more that is going on inside the better.

All the best,

"Author" Damo is personally known to me as a young man who attended a few lessons with Dr. Shen Hongxun.

In my opinion as a senior student of Dr. Shen for over 15 years and a teacher for 25 years, it is entirely untrue for him to claim he has a "lineage" connection with Dr. Shen's Taijiquan. I also taught his uncle Phil James for some time and he is a thoroughly decent student and teacher who is embarassed by his nephew's extravagant and unfounded claims.

The question you should be asking yourself is: of what value is a book written by someone so deluded?

Yes - I do

I have been one of Dr. Shen Hongxun's most senior students and teachers and assisted him with his writing and translation for over 15 years.

The quote re "Jing and Dong Stillness and Movement" is an uncredited plagiarisation from the original work of Dr. Shen Hongxun, which can be accessed via this website: <http://www.buqi.net/>

The exact name of the system that this information is derived from is Taijiwuxigong ( a registered and trademarked Name ) and this particular quote, in my opinion, refers specifically to the process of deliberately induced spontaneous movement used for self-Healing, usually accessed through the practice, under the guidance and with the support of an experienced teacher, of the Wuxi Standing Posture.

As far as I am aware, Damo is neither experienced in nor qualified to teach these subjects.

If you wish to research the authenticity of his claims regarding him being holder of a Taiji (or any other) lineage from Dr. Shen you can email the Buqi Institute and ask if they've ever heard of him or if he has permission to teach and use this information.

Ironic then that his website proclaims "..... it is very important to us that we do not contribute to the further watering down of these styles which has happened a great deal in the last few decades."

So going to maybe half a dozen lessons and then pretending you know it all and "teaching" others helps to prevent the dilution of this precious knowledge how, exactly............?

Oh, yeah, and if you want to check up on me you can do it here: <http://www.heavenmountain.co.uk/>

do your own research, carefully..... before you hand your body over for someone to experiment on

Hey Paul,

The lineage actually comes down through Phil (my Uncle), I am not aware of Phil having any problems with me. It was him who encouraged me to do this in the first place! I do not teach any of Shen's system. Not Taiji37, not Taijiwuxigong, not Buqi. I teach Yang style TaijiQuan as taught to me originally by Phil, the energy work is heavily influenced by Shen of course, nobody can spend any time training with Shen without being effected by his methods. I dont actually like Shen's version of Taiji very much or his Taijiwuxigong. I can see the benefits but personally prefer the systems of Qi Gong that I practice.

I lost interest in Shen's school (Buqi) because of the way they approached the subject of Taijiwuxigong, I was taught primarily by Phil. The spontaneous movement is a very small part of this training, we focus very much on the martial aspect of the arts rather than the medical. I am not saying that I think the medical approach is wrong in any way, I just lean towards martial since this is how I have been brought up.

The Nei Gong comes from a variety of sources, a great deal of it comes from the Hun Yuan branch of Qi Gong exercises which I study in Shandong province.

I have been involved in the martial arts my entire life Paul, it amounts to quite a bit of time really. I certainly don't know it all as you so kindly write here. I do, however, know what I am doing. Its nice to catch up with you though!...

I do not teach any of Shen's system. I dont actually like Shen's version of Taiji very much or his Taijiwuxigong.

I lost interest in Shen's school (Buqi) because of the way they approached the subject of Taijiwuxigong,

If you don`t approve their systems nor teaching them, what`s the point claiming their lineage???? :blink:

• Like 1

I was taught largely by my Uncle who had his own take on Shen's material. Although the information came down through their line Phil taught Yang TaijiQuan instead of the Taiji37 which Shen taught. The Taiji37 form is, as you may guess, 37 postures long and although similar to Yang has its own distinct qualities.

Shen taught largely stationary postures from the Taiji37 system and although I do know the form I never really got on with it. I was taught a great deal more Yang by my Uncle and so consequently this sits better with me. Phil practices Taiji37 alongside his other TaijiQuan.

I never studied any more than the basics of Taijiwuxigong with Shen, again the majority of my Qi Gong/Nei Gong comes through Phil which again does not really focus on Taijiwuxigong. The spontaneous movement work is a major part of Shen's work, his courses are bedlum! My Uncle used considerably less.

In short, Shen was my Uncles teacher and my Uncle was my teacher although I studied with Shen too. My Uncles Taiji is Yang with input from Shen's internal work. Mine is very similar to my Uncle's.

On another note, I liked some aspects of Taijiwuxigong, I was just turned off a little by the sort of attention it drew and it was a bit chaotic for me. Both my father and my Uncle have a strong basis in japanese martial arts and you can definitely tell from their attitudes which are quite structured. I have this attitude as well so it is inevitable that I would not be captured by the chaos of Taijiwuxigong!

My current main teacher, master Ni, is very militaristic in his approach to Taiji which quite surprisingly works very well. I like his approach and will continue to train largely with him over the coming years.

Hello everyone,

Damo: I have no doubt that your actions and statements have good intentions. However, I feel I must at least hint at where you are in error. I have not read your book, so I cannot say whether what you have published is just Nei Gong, or if it also contains elements of knowledge you have picked-up from elsewhere.

However, you were asked on this thread what your lineage is and you replied that the lineage you were given came from Shen HongXun, mainly via your uncle Phil. You also stated that the energy work elements of what you teach came mainly from Yi JiMay (which, if you do indeed have this, it could only really have come to you via Shen HongXun). What you profess to teach is Nei Gong? To the best of my knowledge, (and I have studied with him for some years), Shen HongXun does not teach this.

Please would you accept my advice. Please would you pay a visit to your uncle Phil and discuss this matter with him. I believe he will set you straight and will advise you on what your lineages are, what you have permission to teach/publish, what your mistakes were/are, and what you can do to best correct them and make ammends.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits.