Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

What are good movies to watch in (Zen, Buddhism or Tao)?

What is a good movie to watch (Zen, Buddhism or on Tao). I just watched Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter and loved every second of it. I was wondering if there was other movies like that. I went to IMDB.com, but could not find much. Thanks all!

What is a good movie to watch (Zen, Buddhism or on Tao). I just watched Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter and loved every second of it. I was wondering if there was other movies like that. I went to IMDB.com, but could not find much. Thanks all!

Like real life movies, right? Not dharma teachings movies, but like depictions of real life characters who are buddhists in life situations that are fictional or autobiographical?

Definitely "Kundun" about the life of the Dhalai Lama directed by Martin Scorsese. Incredible movie, acting and direction!!

Also... "Little Buddha".. great imagry, acting is ok. But great story about the life of the Buddha and also the life of a family being effected by the whole tulku experience. Directed by Bernardo Bertolucci. With Keanu Reeves, Ruocheng Ying, Chris Isaak, also has Sogyal Rinpoche acting in it. He can't act really, but he's such a jolly guy who's happiness you can see very clearly. He's almost too happy to be acting in a movie, lol! He giggles a lot, he tries to say lines, but he's... funny about it. I don't know how to say it.

"Samsara" is very good... click link for slight description

"Why has Bodhidharma left for the East"... Beautiful film. link to explanation

"Spring, summer, fall, winter, spring" also a beautiful movie!! click link for info.

enjoy!!

The Lion's Roar - documentary about the 16th Gyalwa Karmapa

Milarepa - historical fiction

The Wheel of Time - Herzog's documentary about the Kalachakra

Tibet: Cry of the Snow Lion - documentary about Tibet's history, very well done!

Himalaya - beautiful drama set in ...

Amongst White Clouds - documentary about a search for the hermits of the Zhongnan mountains

The Scent of Green Papaya - beautiful movie about mindfulness

My favorite in the fiction genre is Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring as well...

Edited by xuesheng

The Peaceful Warrior has a real zen touch to it.

Conversation With God is a nice spiritual movie.

The Celistine Prophecy (movie) seems to be about Immortality with a very taosit spin in the end.

Nice suggestions Steve. There's a few I'll check out.

Vajrahridaya, I really tried to give samsara a chance, but I could'nt stand it. It seemed the director was trying to generate and play on lots of emotion. In the end though, there wasn't any real resolution to the confusion that the main character faced. - Strange.

Spring, summer fall winter, I enjoyed that one. Very slow. Nice. Amazing scenery too, especially at the end.

Your other suggestions I will check out, thanks for them.

My all time favourite is 'travellers and magicians', directed by Tenzin Norbu. It's filmed in Bhutan. The story is very subtle with nice teachings throughout.

Another one, though more a of a documentary than a movie, is The Yogis Of Tibet. Amazing first hand accounts of endurance, devotion and compassion.

Edited by mat black

I just recently watched The Green Mile and the healing aspects of John Coffee made me think of

Eastern Healing Practices.

Nice suggestions Steve. There's a few I'll check out.

Vajrahridaya, I really tried to give samsara a chance, but I could'nt stand it. It seemed the director was trying to generate and play on lots of emotion. In the end though, there wasn't any real resolution to the confusion that the main character faced. - Strange.

Spring, summer fall winter, I enjoyed that one. Very slow. Nice. Amazing scenery too, especially at the end.

Your other suggestions I will check out, thanks for them.

My all time favourite is 'travellers and magicians', directed by Tenzin Norbu. It's filmed in Bhutan. The story is very subtle with nice teachings throughout.

Another one, though more a of a documentary than a movie, is The Yogis Of Tibet. Amazing first hand accounts of endurance, devotion and compassion.

Oh man... Loooooove Yogi's of Tibet!! I also really enjoyed Travelers and Magicians, and another movie by the same director Khyentse Norbu is a recognized Tulku, he did "The Cup".. great movie!! Also Buddhist.

I loooove Samsara. I think it's saying that one can attain enlightenment either way... householder or monk, just commit to the view no matter what. To see your wife as a Buddha too. But, your right in a way... I can see what your talking about. But, I still think it was a good movie, though yes, a bit obtuse and unclear. I too can see that and remember feeling that a bit at the end, just thinking about it and maybe making my own meaning?

"Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring" is really, really beautiful and subtle... gorgeous movie!!

Ennnjoy!! Enrich!! :)

I just recently watched The Green Mile and the healing aspects of John Coffee made me think of

Eastern Healing Practices.

Oh! Wonderful movie, seen it a few times! Any Tom Hanks movie is good though... you know.

Vajrahridaya, yeah, Yogis Of Tibet is very inspirational. I regard the monks/yogis in that doco with much respect.

I loooove Samsara. I think it's saying that one can attain enlightenment either way... householder or monk, just commit to the view no matter what. To see your wife as a Buddha too. But, your right in a way... I can see what your talking about. But, I still think it was a good movie, though yes, a bit obtuse and unclear. I too can see that and remember feeling that a bit at the end, just thinking about it and maybe making my own meaning?

I never looked as samsara this way before, but what you say here is very very insightful. A sensible approach to life for the layperson. Thankyou.

'Milarepa' also directed by Tenzin Norbu is also available. It is in 2 parts. The second part, which I think focuses on his enlightenment is due for release sometime this year. I haven't seen it (the first one) yet, but a Tibetin friend said it is good.

The story of Milarepa is truly amazing.

Vajrahridaya, yeah, Yogis Of Tibet is very inspirational. I regard the monks/yogis in that doco with much respect.

I never looked as samsara this way before, but what you say here is very very insightful. A sensible approach to life for the layperson. Thankyou.

'Milarepa' also directed by Tenzin Norbu is also available. It is in 2 parts. The second part, which I think focuses on his enlightenment is due for release sometime this year. I haven't seen it (the first one) yet, but a Tibetin friend said it is good.

The story of Milarepa is truly amazing.

Oh, no problem! I hope to not have to give up anything, just integrate everything with non-abiding realization.

Yes, I've seen Milarepa and forgot to mention it! I'm looking forward to part two!

Tis good... I mean... the acting is.. mmm, well, It's not as expressive in gesture of personalities chosen for the movie. But the story of Milarepa is there in whole as I remember.

:)

The Peaceful Warrior has a real zen touch to it.

Conversation With God is a nice spiritual movie.

The Celistine Prophecy (movie) seems to be about Immortality with a very taosit spin in the end.

Seen all three and love them all to death. My favorite out of the three you listed: Conversation With God! I love this movie, seen it at least 5 times and I cannot get enough. Powerful just powerful!:) Thank you for reminding me to watch it again.

Oh, no problem! I hope to not have to give up anything, just integrate everything with non-abiding realization.

Yes, I've seen Milarepa and forgot to mention it! I'm looking forward to part two!

Tis good... I mean... the acting is.. mmm, well, It's not as expressive in gesture of personalities chosen for the movie. But the story of Milarepa is there in whole as I remember.

:)

Again, your interpretation of samsara for the layperson is appreciated and very pertinent for me at this time.

I heard the same thing about the acting in Milarepa But indeed as you say, the story is what's important. :D

Edited by mat black

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring is one of my absolute favorite films. I was so blown away when I saw it in the theatre. I bought it as soon as it came out on DVD.

Other films not mentioned:

How to Cook Your Life is terrific. Kind of a Zen of cooking movie. Very highly recommended!

is stunning and well worth the 2 1/2+ hours to watch.

Another I thought of is The Fountain by Darren Aronovsky - some folks love it, some hate it, I love it.

He also did Pi and Requiem for a Dream which I admired. I think he also directed The Wrestler - haven't seen that one yet.

Another I thought of is The Fountain by Darren Aronovsky - some folks love it, some hate it, I love it.

He also did Pi and Requiem for a Dream which I admired. I think he also directed The Wrestler - haven't seen that one yet.

Seen all of them. Loved them all... and they were all quite different. Great director!!

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring is one of my absolute favorite films. I was so blown away when I saw it in the theatre. I bought it as soon as it came out on DVD.

Other films not mentioned:

How to Cook Your Life is terrific. Kind of a Zen of cooking movie. Very highly recommended!

is stunning and well worth the 2 1/2+ hours to watch.

I would say me too for Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring! What a movie WOW! It capture so much and said so little. I have bought the DVD as well after I saw it at a friends house. I will check out the ones you recommended. Thank you very much.

I picked up Season One of the old TV Series Kung Fu. It has been a while. I found the shows had a deeper meaning for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be purchasing Seasons teo and Three soon.

Tom

Hey this may sound weird but the animated television series The Avatar is freaking amazing! Trust me. It is very philosophical and taoist/buddhist. They basically Bend elements (water,fire,earth,air) The thing is that each bending style is based on a martial art. Water is Chen tai chi, Air is bagua, Fire is shaolin, Earth is hung gar. Very accurate depictions of the styles! there is a war between the fire nation and the other 3 nations. The avatar is th eonly person who can master the 4 elements. But Its also humerous and filled with lessons. It also has mention and aspects of Chi, dim mak, chakras, meditation, yin and yang, gurus and alot more. Very interesting insights on the elements and how they fucntion/interact with us and between themselves! Buddhist philosophy is there aswell. I woulkd have to say the most complte show i have ever seen on asian Energetics/philosophy. It is very fullfliiling to watch. It also won a grammy. One of the few if any animated series to do such a thing. great show i suggest everyone here take the time to watch the whole series!

I picked up Season One of the old TV Series Kung Fu. It has been a while. I found the shows had a deeper meaning for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be purchasing Seasons teo and Three soon.

Tom

Great recommendation - I loved that series as a kid.

Stephen Chow did a two-part series on the Monkey King which was pretty good. Can't remember the names of the movies, but you can look them up.

I LOVE Stephen Chow's stuff - I've got to check that out - thanks!

I was thinking of the Matrix as a movie that hits some Buddhist, Taoist philosophies from a sci fi angle.

Moving further astream, the original Kung Fu series was loaded w/ insight and gems.

For kids the TV cartoon series The Avatar, show cased Eastern Philosophy in respectful way while having a great story line.

Michael

I think even addults can get alot form it. If you have watched the WHOLE series then you know it can definatley give adults alot aswell. It won a grammy! Mot of the people who watch the show are adults anyway.

I was thinking of the Matrix as a movie that hits some Buddhist, Taoist philosophies from a sci fi angle.

Moving further astream, the original Kung Fu series was loaded w/ insight and gems.

For kids the TV cartoon series The Avatar, show cased Eastern Philosophy in respectful way while having a great story line.

Michael

Agreed! I loved Matrix! Only the first one, however. Thanks!

I think even addults can get alot form it. If you have watched the WHOLE series then you know it can definatley give adults alot aswell. It won a grammy! Mot of the people who watch the show are adults anyway.

Okay, I will make sure to check it out. :)

Sign in to follow this