Sign in to follow this  
Siliconvalley1

Chi self-massage

An elderly lady at a local center I visit now and then asked me yesterday if I knew any books dealing with chi self-massage that she and the other residents at the facility could use. I could think of some, but could not really recommend any as I haven't used any of these myself. Some of them that I heard good things about were:

Healing Self-Massage: Over 100 Simple Techniques for Re-energizing Body and Mind

Mantak Chia's book

Jwing-Ming Yang's version

There is also Master Chunyi Lin's qissage, which I am planning to get for myself - primarily because I just adore that man...

Any recommendations? DVDs are okay too - I don't think they have a DVD player but I can find one for them.. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Siliconvalley1

Not exactly a qi-self massage, but a good stuff anyway:

Unwinding the Belly by Allison Post.

Very good on the whole abdominal area including some breathwork and intercostals.

I just got Qi Gong for Total Wellness by Baolin Wu. There are some of the most excellent tips in there, that aren't to be found anywhere else. It's a simplified writing style, but also very well explained. For self massage, I recommend this over anything else I've seen.

Seriously.

:)

Master Chunyi Lin, of spring forest qigong has recently introduced a Qi~ssage instructional dvd. There's a demo clip at you tube.

The book "The Healer Within: Using Traditional Chinese Techniques to Release Your Body's Own Medicine" by Roger Jahnke includes a chapter on self-applied massage.

I'd have to agree the stuff in The Healer Within is good and very easy to understand. He covers a little bit of massage in The Healing Promise of Qi but not as much as he does in The Healer Within. I took his Tai Chi Easy Facilitator training workshop and he has information in the manual on self massage as well.

Acupressure Way of Health: Jin Shin Do by Iona Marsaa Teeguarden

Excellent clear presentation, including a section on self-acupressure.

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Davies

Uses a racketball to save your hands, and 80% accurate with tsubos

I forgot that I had this one: Self-Massage Along Meridians and Acupoints by Wang Chuangui. I found it at Barnes & Noble strangely enough, as it was published in China (Foreign Languages Press Beijing, 2002). It includes sections on methods, healthcare and therapeutics. The translated text is good. The price on this link is a lot less than I paid for it.

When I googled this title, I also found this dvd: Practical Healthcare Self-Massage Along Meridians and Acupoints. I don't know if the author of the above book had anything to do with this. It's part of a whole series that appears to cover some interesting stuff: head and foot massage, cupping, guasha, etc.

Edited by Dainin

Sign in to follow this