DalTheJigsaw123

What is a good breakfast for a TaoBum?

What is a good breakfast for a TaoBum? I am having trouble picking what to eat for breakfast. Also if you have suggestions for food in general, it would be great. I am semi-vegetarian. Thank you all!

What is a good breakfast for a TaoBum? I am having trouble picking what to eat for breakfast. Also if you have suggestions for food in general, it would be great. I am semi-vegetarian. Thank you all!

I had lots of questions in this regard also and you should try the search function on the forums, search for Taoist Diet there are many long threads on this topic.

Edited by Brother K

I had lots of questions in this regard also and you should try the search function on the forums, search for Taoist Diet there are many long threads on this topic.

Thank you so much! Sorry, I should have done that before posting. Thanks!

1/3 cup buckwheat groats

1/3 cup bulgur wheat

1/3 cup quinoa

3 tbs whole flax seed

add to 2 cups boiling water, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.

Then, add 1 tbs. coconut oil, 1 tbs cocoa powder, 1/4 cup walnuts, and sweeten to taste with stevia

Protein, fiber, nutrients, EFAs are all off the chart here. And it tastes like eating German Chocolate cake for breakfast, especially if you hose it down with whipped cream. :lol:

What is a good breakfast for a TaoBum? ...

Seefood.

See food, bless it, then eat it.

real food! not prpccesed junk. if you are a really advanced daoist then chi is the perfect food. :)

Yogurt with fresh papaya (you can include the seeds as well if you want, which are black and add a peppery taste), unsalted sunflower seeds and a swig of cod liver oil.

Of course not for every breakfast, but I've found that this combination of foods (or even if taken by themselves) does a lot of good for those doing spiritual practices. It comes close to perfection in my opinion...for those who can't drink the immortal nectar yet. :P

I think it would depend on the type of practices you are cultivating and what type of lifestyle you live otherwise.

In general, protein in the morning is a good start as it helps finish the process of detox and rebuilding that your body goes through every night.

High quality lean meats, fresh/frozen green vegetables, some fruit(in season when possible) and some(minimal) grains. All organic/local when possible.

Many things, but i'll share one nice recipe that i realy like :)

A sort of gazpacho (cold pureed soup of raw vegetables with various additions) ;)

a handful of sprouts (alfalfa for example)

a few slices of cucumber

a few slices of tomato

some fresh spinach, watercress of lettuce

1/2 cup of toasted oatmeal

2 to 4 tablespoons of hempseed protein powder

a teaspoon of barleygrass powder

a little bit of gomasio or pumpkinseeds

a teaspoon of unrefined salt

a tablespoon of red wine vinegar

a teaspoon of ricebran oil, and olive oil each

3 to 4 cups of water

blend in a blender and eat as a soup

Thank you all so much! I appreciate you sharing your recipes and thoughts with me. I am going to try the recipes provided. I am trying to lose some weight. I am 5'11 at 180. I am trying to cut down to 170. I run/bike about 4 times a week. I meditated twice a day. I am trying to fix my diet, it has not always been great.

2 Scoops of Whey Protein

5 Strawberry

1 Banana

2 Tablespoons of Flax Seed oil.

2 Tablespoons of liquid vitamin / mineral. (from whole food concentrate)

5 Ice Cubes

Blend

Followed up with a cup of half Dragonwell (or White Monkey) Tea / half Yerba Matte.

~ Joe

Whey Protein, Oats, Fresh Fruit in a blender.

Sometimes with pre-made smoothie, juices, raw cacao, guarana powder, etc.,

Sometimes I'll make Porridge with seeds, goji berries, etc.

Spring/Summer:

2 Hard boiled eggs

Juice + Bananas + fresh fruit + yogurt blended

Fall/Winter - congee

1 cup short grain brown rice + 6 cups of water

Cook for 8 hours in a crock pot on low

Add honey and/or butter as necessary for flavor

Hey man!

I'm also trying to shed some fat, so weekdays I try to eat mostly fruits and berries, vegetables (though not starchy ones like potatoes and rice) and unprocessed meats and fish. Gives me a lot of energy and keeps me full. Also I believe fats are important, don't eat only lean and fat free, you need some good fat from olive oil, some animal fat isn't so bad either in my own opinion. Flax seeds and/or flax seed oil is good, also get your omega 3 from fish oil.

Weekdays for breakfast I usually have the following smoothie:

- couple pieces of frozen banana

- 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries

- 1/2 cup of frozen raspberries

- 1/2 cup of frozen blackberries

- 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries

- yoghurt

- a topped tablespoon of unflavoured pure protein mix (whey and casein)

- some Kellogg's All-Bran Plus for fiber

- a tablespoon of Udo's Choice oil

- water until the right texture

This does however make almost a 0.8 litres of smoothie, so I usually drink half of it in the mornings and save the rest in the fridge for the afternoons at work.

Can really recommend this, the taste is great and I feel it gives me energy for a long time.

On weekends I ususally have bacon, eggs and baked beans, usually without any bread, and some fresh orange juice! :D And I indulge a little in a beer or two if I want, some sugary things if I'm so inclinced, an ice cream etc. I try to keep some balance though!

Having just finished a ring donut, I ask myself what happened to the hole. Did it ever really exist?

:lol::lol::lol: That was great. Seriously, it's a very good question too. :)

Some great recipes, this thread would make a great book :)

For breakfast I enjoy cooked oatmeal or spelt semolina with nuts and lots of spices like ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and cardamom. Add some ghee and a dash of honey doesn't hurt either.

I want to add something I've found to be true about food.

#1 rule: eat the foods that make you feel the best. To me certain foods can clearly make me feel awesome, and others can do the opposite

#2 rule: try lots and lots of different foods. This works synergistically with rule #1, because if you try a lot of foods and different ways of preparing them etc, then you'll have a bigger pool of foods to choose from, and you can find the foods your body really thrives on. If you've never had it, how can you know how it makes your body feel?

I really think the whole Weston A. Price and Sally Fallon's "Nourishing traditions" perspective is a great place to start.

Things I've eaten that feel great that I'd never have tried had I not experimented are: quinoa, any whole grain that has been soaked for a day or three to deactivate the bad stuff and activate the good stuff, and lacto-fermented vegetables.

You gotta experiment and find what works for you, and then listen to your body and eat what it wants :)

Edited by 11:33

Some great recipes, this thread would make a great book :)

For breakfast I enjoy cooked oatmeal or spelt semolina with nuts and lots of spices like ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and cardamom. Add some ghee and a dash of honey doesn't hurt either.

Do you eat that everyday? or do you switch from food to food? Or how does that work out for you?

#1 rule: eat the foods that make you feel the best. To me certain foods can clearly make me feel awesome, and others can do the opposite

#2 rule: try lots and lots of different foods. This works synergistically with rule #1, because if you try a lot of foods and different ways of preparing them etc, then you'll have a bigger pool of foods to choose from, and you can find the foods your body really thrives on. If you've never had it, how can you know how it makes your body feel?

I really think the whole Weston A. Price and Sally Fallon's "Nourishing traditions" perspective is a great place to start.

Things I've eaten that feel great that I'd never have tried had I not experimented are: quinoa, any whole grain that has been soaked for a day or three to deactivate the bad stuff and activate the good stuff, and lacto-fermented vegetables.

You gotta experiment and find what works for you, and then listen to your body and eat what it wants :)

Thank you so much! Those are great rules. I have definitely been trying all kinds of foods. So far I think semi-vegetarian diet, has worked out well for me.

I agree w/ 11:33, you have to experiment. Get rid of cultural conditioning and norms, go beyond what tastes good and see how you react after you've eaten.

I've often find a simple half melon is the ideal breakfast for me. Simple, fast and nutritious.

Michael

Do you eat that everyday? or do you switch from food to food? Or how does that work out for you?

Yes I eat that every day for breakfast, as it serves me and my constitution well. It feels very nourishing and calms my mind. I do not think that is true for every type of body though. I tend to rely on the ayurvedic dosha system to choose my foods and it happens to fit pretty well with what I like to eat and what makes me feel good.