alfa

How to commit suicide?

Death is the absence of life.

Sorry, but I disagree. Death is a compliment of birth, and for both birth and death to happen, one needs life as a context/environment. In other words, death is a process of becoming, just like birth, and life has to be there as a background for death to move forward. If life somehow stopped for the people who are dying, then the dying people could never finish their dying process and would permanently freeze in time, and remain in an indeterminate state.

Another way to think of death is when something passes beyond recognition. When this happens, the recognizing context is not itself gone. Alternatively, if the context were gone, there is no telling what could be recognized as what, since context serves to narrow down, to structure recognitions. I don't think context can ever be gone though. It can change, but it cannot be gone altogether.

Interestingly, people are referring to how suicide is condemned in Buddhism, yet, no-one really knows. I actually just started reading an interesting treatise on this the other day, perhaps now I will finish it.

http://www.westernbuddhistreview.com/vol4/..._suffering.html

From one who has had 2 serious attempts in his lifetime, I will have to call you on your bullshit here. Why do people feel that one has to be not in their right mind to contemplate or attempt suicide? Just because to you it is not a viable option, does not mean that it is not for others. If they are not meant to die, then they won't. It's as simple as that. But wanting to push the reset button on life should never be viewed as some kind of deficiency. As I believe in a rebirth, then for me, its like deleting all this text and starting writing all over again. Death is not the end of the road, merely the start of a new one.

What's BS about what I suggested? I don't know the OP - and even if I did, I would argue that suicide is not the option until ALL related ideas and alternatives have been gone over at length. If you can think this hard about death, you can think this hard about life.

Beliefs are fine enough until they do you or others harm via action.

Seriously, would you suggest that I come on here and advocate for people killing themselves? No can do.

Let's be clear about this. It may be online, but it's still people we're talking about.

I'm sorry about your own attempts and I have no idea why you did that. But now you're fine and I would suggest exercising extreme caution with this topic with the OP perhaps reading - who may not be as fine as you are.

Hopefully they are feeling much better and are well on way to making sense of how they felt.

A recent documentary on suicide jumpers from the Golden Gate Bridge recounts several of the few who actually

survived the jump having extreme regret once they had launched off the bridge and changing their minds. One

can only wonder at how many of the "successful" jumpers felt the same way, but were helpless to reverse the

decision they had made and plunged regretfully to their deaths.

They probably felt extremely alive in those last seconds.

What's BS about what I suggested? I don't know the OP - and even if I did, I would argue that suicide is not the option until ALL related ideas and alternatives have been gone over at length. If you can think this hard about death, you can think this hard about life.

Beliefs are fine enough until they do you or others harm via action.

Seriously, would you suggest that I come on here and advocate for people killing themselves? No can do.

Let's be clear about this. It may be online, but it's still people we're talking about.

I'm sorry about your own attempts and I have no idea why you did that. But now you're fine and I would suggest exercising extreme caution with this topic with the OP perhaps reading - who may not be as fine as you are.

Hopefully they are feeling much better and are well on way to making sense of how they felt.

No, what I think is BS is your automatic condemnation of something which you obviously don't really grasp. Your thinking has got to be along the lines that death is the end, which is fine for you, but don't push what you believe on others.

I am not saying we should come on here and encourage people towards suicide. What I AM saying, is that we all have our own karmic burdens, and our lives will play out as they are meant to. For you to come on here and try to say otherwise, is well, frankly, amusing. Once you realize that death isn't the end of the road, you'll feel a lot better.

Hi,

I am only asking this out of curiosity. Death is the most important part of life. Without understanding death, no spiritual discipline is complete. So if a person wants to experience death directly by killing himself, what's the easiest and painless way of doing it?

Alfa

Never heard of a spiritual system that condoned suicide, don't expect to. If one wishes to gain insight from death there are ample Tibetan Buddhist methods for gaining deaths knowledge without suicide. Have not read this thread, so apologies if this is post is redundant. If you know someone who is, or personally are considering suicide please please please consult a professional or simply call the suicide hotline. The reason (to my obviously limited understanding) that suicide is avoided at all costs in every spiritual system I am aware of is that it is in no way way a path to insight, it only gives up the insights that could have been gained in life. There's plenty of time to be dead once your life is over, and I mean this quite seriously. Suicide as a "reset button" doesn't work either within the context of reincarnation. If one has spent 100 lives working to become human, only to gain flawed karma through committing suicide and lose all of that progress is not a clean slate, it's karmic suicide. Buddha said all life is suffering, his conclusion was that one should LIVE a full life to work through our desires for comfort.

In the first couple of posts I noticed Japan as being cited as a counterpoint to suicide being shunned. First of all, this supports the fact that the initial post is very very problematic as suicide in Japan is the ULTIMATE form of shame. It is almost improper to consider suicide to be the name for the traditional practice in Japan as it was more of an execution by ones own hand. So any justification on suicide based off of Japanese tradition is absolutely FALSE. This isn't a full description of why it is false, but it should make one appreciate that superficially judging other cultures can lead to some very flawed conclusions. (edit:see Zhuo Ming-Dao post above)

Edited by Tokoyo Tama

All being the case as you say (which I may or may not adhere to) it's just really really important to take care with this stuff and take care of people whether you're online or not.

I'm glad you got through whatever you did (can hardly advocate topping yourself from "the other side" can you ;-)?)

Pleased you called me on my BS and pleased to maintain my stance on this one.

God, you're all a bunch of pussies.

Try this: get yourself drunk. Not too much, you want to enjoy yourself; it's your last hurrah! Keep drinking drunk until you get tired... sleepy... then, when you feel like getting around to it, get a big black garbage bag and tie it around your head. Make sure it's tied around your neck well enough-- you don't want any fresh air getting in !

It's pretty easy, after that. Just fall asleep.

Why because he haven't tried to commit suicide? Because we don't condone it?

That's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Try this: get yourself drunk. Not too much, you want to enjoy yourself; it's your last hurrah! Keep drinking drunk until you get tired... sleepy... then, when you feel like getting around to it, get a big black garbage bag and tie it around your head. Make sure it's tied around your neck well enough-- you don't want any fresh air getting in !

It's pretty easy, after that. Just fall asleep.

Well obviously it's not a good way since you're still here with us.

My two cents:

The fact of the matter is that suicide is one of those topics that we can never come to a conclusion on. No one can say what is right or wrong, because right and wrong don't exist. They only exist in the whims of human beings' minds. So then perhaps lets look at suicide from a perspective I prefer, the perspective of effectiveness.

Is suicide effective for your goals? Even this question is impossible to answer because we don't have enough details to fully know. We can assume a person wanting to commit suicide is attempting to escape the pain of being alive. Unfortunately we don't know if death will save them from pain. Some would say they would go to Hell, others would say that they cannot escape their karma and are bound to repeat it. Others would say, you're just DEAD, like dust, and it would then be a nice escape. Others would say there is no Hell and you will escape to peace in the spiritual realms. The fact is no one knows, so if you didn't notice that your ideas are based on opinion, hopefully you see now the fact is no one knows.

If you ask a man not to kill themselves, do you KNOW you have a better way for them to escape their pain? Or are you just yapping? If you can help a man escape his pain, for certain, then do it. But somehow I don't think most of us can offer this fool-proof method to escape pain. I presume a lot of the comments on here stem mostly from "this guy said suicide is terrible". Well it IS terribly effective for stopping the slow aching of life. And if you cut out all of the beliefs you have that lord knows if they are even true, then its no big deal. However there may be other methods to escape the slow aching of life, I admit. Like wisdom. But some people are not in the position to get from suicidal to wisdom. It's a big leap.

In my humble opinion, the worst part of being human are these layers of right and wrong that have no basis in reality. Humans are so willing to base their decisions on imaginary concepts, rather than effectiveness.

What do I want? What is the most effective way to get it?

What do I want? (freedom from this terrible pain) Is suicide the most effective way to get it? (I dunno)

The easiest way to kill yourself is with a hard, sharp (as hard as you can, and as sharp of a knife as you can hone) to the back of the neck, slipping in between the body's armor of the spinal cord and severing the spinal cord. The knife has to be tilted so that the edge is pointed up a bit.

People take life way too seriously.

No, if you cut above the fifth vertebrae down from the neck, it will sever the nerves to the heart. As long as there are ten minutes before they can put you on some life-support-from-space, you wont survive.

Thse methods are hell

those people that use these methods of killing their selft are going to hell!!

A horrible way just like it is horrible to jump on a fast train

There is no a easy and good way to kill your selft

Anyone who exit using suicide should be punished on their re-entries with having to read forever and ever every happy life thereafter the garbage posts that is most of the board!!!!!

This should scare the living hell out of you right this moment!!!!!

Flush Gordon

These people that cut head of inocent people and use similar methods to kill themselves going to hell baby, you see your life is sacred to killed makes you denied the most precious thing God ever made!

If you want to understand life you need to live it. If you die by suicide you haven't lived long enough to cultivate yourself and your spirit will become a ghost. You'll be trapped and never find the answer to the questions that you ask.

Suicide is not a natural death only a means to an end of a natural cycle and only to lose your spirit forever.

And that is why had never any one that had made suicide return they are not in a good place were they go!!

feelings but the words my friend :o

Why because he haven't tried to commit suicide? Because we don't condone it?

That's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Well obviously it's not a good way since you're still here with us.

here on not here it doe'snt matter! God see and hear all and the consequences are real

My two cents:

Is suicide effective for your goals? .....The fact is no one knows, so if you didn't notice that your ideas are based on opinion, hopefully you see now the fact is no one knows.

Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong

There is one that knows

So what would you be running away from. You can cultivate and have rebirth without dying. Life is about energy.

Interestingly, people are referring to how suicide is condemned in Buddhism, yet, no-one really knows. I actually just started reading an interesting treatise on this the other day, perhaps now I will finish it.

http://www.westernbuddhistreview.com/vol4/..._suffering.html

From one who has had 2 serious attempts in his lifetime, I will have to call you on your bullshit here. Why do people feel that one has to be not in their right mind to contemplate or attempt suicide? Just because to you it is not a viable option, does not mean that it is not for others. If they are not meant to die, then they won't. It's as simple as that. But wanting to push the reset button on life should never be viewed as some kind of deficiency. As I believe in a rebirth, then for me, its like deleting all this text and starting writing all over again. Death is not the end of the road, merely the start of a new one.

It is all really BS if you want to put names to the opinions. Your Tao is your Tao but if you enjoy life sometimes we humans may not want to see someone take theirs in vane. Suicide is also ego based.

No, what I think is BS is your automatic condemnation of something which you obviously don't really grasp. Your thinking has got to be along the lines that death is the end, which is fine for you, but don't push what you believe on others.

I am not saying we should come on here and encourage people towards suicide. What I AM saying, is that we all have our own karmic burdens, and our lives will play out as they are meant to. For you to come on here and try to say otherwise, is well, frankly, amusing. Once you realize that death isn't the end of the road, you'll feel a lot better.

I don't think this forum is here to condemn anyone for their beliefs. It's a discussion not a persecution.

Think we all need to take a break from this topic and spend more time on ourselves rather than worry about what the others think.

Thanks for that wonderful Christian diatribe. Here is a quarter to call someone who cares about that crap.

There's physical and mental signs that someone might do this -- risk factors in one's makeup worth considering. A 19th century study linked suicide to the narrowing of the aorta (and consequent poor blood flow to the brain). A 20th century one, to low cholesterol (sic!). Most shockingly, the rate of suicide among poets has been, historically, 18 times that of the general population, according to British statistics.

People who are parasympathetic-dominant (yang-deficient) will use a fade-out method (pills or some form of suffocation or strangulation or drowning or starvation) while sympathetic-dominant ones (yin-deficient) will use a blast-out method (bullets or sharp objects or machinery or jumping from a high place). A very agitated psychotic I read about in a book on psychiatry killed himself by delivering over a hundred ax wounds to his own head. That's as yin-deficient as it gets. So the first thing I would suggest to anyone thinking of suicide would be to determine exactly what kind of fantasies he or she is having (fade-out or blast-out ones), and this way pinpoint the rough major problem -- yin or yang deficiency -- and try to work on correcting that. Chances are, once it's corrected, suicide won't seem anywhere near as attractive.

There's physical and mental signs that someone might do this -- risk factors in one's makeup worth considering. A 19th century study linked suicide to the narrowing of the aorta (and consequent poor blood flow to the brain). A 20th century one, to low cholesterol (sic!). Most shockingly, the rate of suicide among poets has been, historically, 18 times that of the general population, according to British statistics.

People who are parasympathetic-dominant (yang-deficient) will use a fade-out method (pills or some form of suffocation or strangulation or drowning or starvation) while sympathetic-dominant ones (yin-deficient) will use a blast-out method (bullets or sharp objects or machinery or jumping from a high place). A very agitated psychotic I read about in a book on psychiatry killed himself by delivering over a hundred ax wounds to his own head. That's as yin-deficient as it gets. So the first thing I would suggest to anyone thinking of suicide would be to determine exactly what kind of fantasies he or she is having (fade-out or blast-out ones), and this way pinpoint the rough major problem -- yin or yang deficiency -- and try to work on correcting that. Chances are, once it's corrected, suicide won't seem anywhere near as attractive.

Very interesting...

But if you're gonna throw your life away, why not just carpe diem and live with no concern for tomorrow. That attitude will probably kill you eventually, if not lead you to the life of your dreams. Either way, I guess you'd get what you wanted. :D

TaoMeow,

That sounds like it might be a potential EFFECTIVE method for achieving what a potentially suicidal person is looking for!

Shit, I have written a lot of poems in my day! Ruh-roh! :P

how would chocking with spaggetti match up? i was just going to suggest it. it may happen.... :D

Hi,

I am only asking this out of curiosity. Death is the most important part of life. Without understanding death, no spiritual discipline is complete. So if a person wants to experience death directly by killing himself, what's the easiest and painless way of doing it?

Alfa

Here is my view on suicide, first of it is damned narcissistic. Second off, suicide is the ultimate act of shallowness.

Easiest and painless, I doubt that really helps on the other side, announcing, before entering the borderland, clear the way, here comes a wimp! Best way to die, I can guess at though. Do something wildly brave and helpful instead.

Here is a goofy thing to do to get yourself killed. Try actually following the teachings of Jesus. He pretty much promised persecution without limit if you do. I doubt society will let you last long if you do, and you will learn something that few of us ever will. Sure a lot of folk say they are Christians, but really putting others first while abandoning the pursuit of personal gain is not something society at large will put up with for long.

Seriously, you waited in line for this, got a reservation. prepared and planned for this. probably 1000 others would have been happy to eat at this table instead of you, and because of a spot on the table or a dirty fork, you want to have a fit and stomp out. They are never going to let you back into the restaurant. Sure a lot of the stuff on the menu is really horrible, but you knew that coming in. You have probably forgotten, but you helped plan this mess.

So the next time you are feeling left out dancing because your soul doesn't glow all bright, and you decide to clean up and incarnate again so you can hang out with the bright ones, where are you going to be in line? Any bum who at least sticks to the endless karma yoga will be able to bump you. The half decent bad incarnations will be taken. Seriously for an immortal luminous being, 100 years of torment is a hang nail. Here is a community of Tao folk, being asked how to kill yourself. What a waste. These are the folk to ask how to resolve ills, cure the incurable, and bring joy into your life.

If you are really looking for suicide, I will admit I don't deeply understand deep long term depression. I will admit I don't know what is going on in your life, and it would not be at all surprising if most the people around you cared more about themselves than they do you. If you are considering suicide, then you probably care a lot more about yourself than everyone else put together, and that is not a lot. I have been there to pick up the pieces after a suicide and a murder suicide. I have two sets of adoption papers to prove it. Suicide really sucks from my point of view.

Personally I am looking forward to death. There is a lot I want to know. But right now I am trying to get and give as much as I can from life. The day that I cannot do anything for my fellow man, I may start practicing biofeedback and pass on from this mortal coil. I won't be throwing karma around by asking others how to do it. Till then I may scream on the drops, and throw up on the corners, but I plan to enjoy this roller coaster.

Bob

Well, I think this thread has been done to death...

Are you trying turn this into a pun thread?

When death is inevitable, then why seek it?

I suppose this has already been noted.

Those whose suffering needs to be eased seldom are capable of taking their own lives, nor are those whose minds lean towards suicide always sane enough to make a proper choice.

I lost a friend to suicide and don't think it is an ideal way to meet death. If you believe that the spirit must leave the body by a specific method then few forms of suicide lead to a proper death if any of them do.

Have the courage to face your death. Suicide is cowardice, it is an inability to face death. Face death with courage, it is inevitable and meeting your fate requires that you be brave. Taking your own life requires extreme cowardice.

However some people have been seen to die by will, without need for a tool or means of taking life. If you can let go of your existence and have not the will to live then you will die. If you breathe then you have the will to live even if you are not wise enough to know that your will is not the same as your thoughts.

Edited by Josh Young

Josh,

With all do respect your entire post is filled with opinion. Just a loooooonnnnnggg opinion. Some people like oranges, some people like papayas, some people don't lie either, some people like both.

Josh,

With all do respect your entire post is filled with opinion. Just a loooooonnnnnggg opinion.

As is your brief post above merely opinion as well. Why post your post? Just to say that my opinion was opinion?

You think it is opinion that I had a friend take their own life? if I offended you so that you seek to discredit what i say then I am sorry. what other reason do you have for such comments?

I certainly don't see any of my posts as long. But that is my opinion.

Edited by Josh Young