Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Running vs Yoga

After I've taken a break from strict retention my impetus to run daily immediately vanished. Instead, I've taken doing lots of basic yoga type exercise (WW, 5 Tibetans, 8 Brocades, situps, 5 animals, sun salutations--a "famous yoga" routine).

It's made me think about the differences between running and yoga in their effects on the mind and body.

Here's my thoughts at the moment:

Running is superior at physical circulation of fluids (better for retention), burning off surplus energy, raw pranayamic respiration, lymphatic circulation, better foot and hand stimulation, and it uniquely stimulates, strengthens and detoxes each cell and organ in the body through repetitive impact. Also a better, easier groove is established. More calories burned. Easier to do along with other practices like mantras, microcosmic orbit, etc.

Yoga is superior in that it is more efficient--you get more of a return on per unit spent, and you don't spend as much energy so you don't get tired or exhausted from overtraining. Also the yoga buzz seems to last all day while the running buzz lasts for only 5-6 hours. Easier to face first thing in the morning too.

Both support superior meditation. I'm thinking that yoga wins on this front. Relatedly, doing yoga makes me 'feel' more like a 'yogi' which I love, but I'm not sure if that's from the energy of the practice or just my mental associations with it. There's more of a sense of relaxing into the body than burning off my demons.

I don't think it's an accident that a few weeks after starting yoga, I'm getting interested in quiet sitting meditation.

I'm trying to keep a good 'power yoga' pace to get some good breathing/cardio benefits going on too.

Thoughts?

-Yoda

how about "running vs. yoda"?

i've never cared much for yoga, at least hindu yoga. tibeta yoga i did a lot of and it seemed to be very good at conditioning the body, almost like physical exercise.

as a former distance runner, i found the running high to be pretty persistent. and addictive. when pushing the distance i really got into a trance-like state that was very similar to meditation or a shamanic trance.

the first time i entered zen i think was as a bike messenger. the mortal demand on awareness and presence took me there in an automatic, involuntary sort of way. now cycling, or any demanding exercise for that matter, triggers it.

love the fact that yer observing and studying your practices like this. i was observing some chinese people today doing their morning routines and i was amazed at how vacantly adn mechanically they go thru the qigong. couldnt perceive any deep awareness or focus.

Your thoughts clicked into one of my biggest frustrations with running--I can't run 3+ miles every single day without tweaking something--so it works for me one day, but isn't there the next. Maybe it's just a matter of acclimating. I've just discovered glucosamine/MSM too which helps on this front. For me, walking is nice but doesn't have the intensity that I need.

In yoga, I get tweaked too but I can work around a tweak pretty easily.

I think aggressive biking or rugged trail running is unique in its relaxed but mentally 'on' focus. I'd run Squaw Peak in Phoenix downhill at speed and it was a super blast. Very energizing. Smoke em if you got em!

Yoda,

I think your comments are right on.

It would be natural to have less of a need to "burn off" energy with running once you stopped strict retention. Heavy physical exercise was perhaps a "saftey valve" for your build up of sexual energy. Now there is less need for that.

A friend of mine is a long distance runner and also spent some time in ashrams in india. He said he believed in the need for a cardio work out but after spending time with those yogis he's not so sure. He would run 5-6 miles a day but when he went hiking with these guys in mountains they were less likely to get tired or winded than him.

The idea of yoga and other things (e.g., standing meditation) is that it gives your muscles, organs, glands, etc. a work out WITHOUT straining/taxing them (e.g., making your heart pump and your lungs overwork, pounding your knees, etc.). Seen like this, "Power Yoga" is less attractive in that it's turning yoga into western based exercise.

The only caution I'd have about running is it can mess with your back, joints, knees, etc. The only caution I'd have about yoga is it can do the same thing if you push too hard (which I almost always do).

Sign in to follow this