Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

wing chun?

What do you guys know about wing chun? Anybody ever trained in it? Apparently there's a wing chun master in my very town!

yeah saposed ot be pretty well respected. Bruce Lee fux with it. I know one Rmax dude who left wing chun to recover from hardwork. I think you'd be better of mastering chia's short form and perhaps some rmax.

just looking into it as a martial art. i think the stuff i've been messing around with is too intense for me, and i'm sick of driving two hours to only play once a week and not having anyone to train with.

i just want to find an art where i can train hard under a good teacher and reasonably expect to be able to handle myself against 95% of the opponents i am likely to come up against in a typical lifetime.

as opposed to playing Tommy Lee Jones to Benicio del Toro.

Stangely enough when I was at the Tao Mountain for a retreat last year I roomed w/ someone who had done a lot of wing chun. It seemed excellent for close quarters. He had very fast arm motions designed to deflect, entrap and open the opponent up for a counter blows.

I bought the the target focused System a while back. Very keep it simple. Pick one target. Hit it, nothing else matters. No psychology, or defense, hit your target and understand the reflex of what comes from that strike and use it to follow up.

Don't all martial artists have favorate 'emergency' moves? I've spent years practicing a relaxed arm swinging open handed uppper cut aimed at the nose(w/ hip movement on contact) followed by 2 light very fast tags to the eyes.

That and stpepping to the side, relaxed front kick to oppoenents inside knee then immediate stomping side kick into the other knee. Actually thats from Glenn Morris's Book, 'Path notes..". A book that should be up your alleys.

Michael

We learned some great moves at the seminar I went to, one was a drill similar to the one you described. I guess part of the reason I'm looking into wing chun is because I could train four days a week, and with ninjutsu/budo taijutsu I could only make it twice a week. Also I was talking to a martial artist I really respect who lives on the East Coast on the phone and told him Si Fu Augustine Fong was in my town, and he was like, WOW! and asked if he could come visit so he could train with the guy. Also I thought wing chun would go along with my TCM obsession, since it IS a Chinese art...I guess it has qi gong incorporated in it AND you learn how to fight?

Sign in to follow this