r.w.smith

Wang Liping Seminar Complaints

Foundation practice in any school is absolutely fundamental and the bedrock on which everything else rests. God knows this has been said and written countless times before, but it just simply is. There is nothing without it.

Its taken me two years to mentally and physically come to terms with the basic practice I was taught. Mentally the practice is hard, physically it is hard. There are also the doubts. About me, about my teacher, about the method. Is the grass greener on the other side?

There aren't easy answers to this work, work on ourselves. Persistence and faith, persistence even when there is no faith. That is the following of the heart.

I understand why people are complaining about 'false advertisement', but consider this. How many of you who went to the seminar had first read Wang Liping's biography? I would expect all of you. Within the biography is a fairly clear description of the training Wang Liping went through himself. The really basic, fundamental stuff. Sitting and stilling the mind. Lots of it, and at times under very unpleasant circumstances. But necessary.

Surely having read the book then, there should not be any misunderstanding of not only the progression of training, but what has to be endured to move from one level to the next. What is expected by Wang Liping of his students seems to be much less than that demanded of him by his teachers. The fact is that one cannot move onto intermediate or advanced practices without completing the basics first. Otherwise they just will not work.

If you are going to follow a teacher and method, then you have to trust them. That does not AT ALL mean blind faith. It means asking the right questions, such as are they moral, decent people, but also does it FEEL right. Only you can answer those for yourself.

Basics and heart, basics and heart.

Best,

Mike

everyone wants the BIG BANG now....

chew slowly folks : )

everyone wants the BIG BANG now....

chew slowly folks : )

Not me...it's nice to see gradual improvement, but I had an experience happen last summer that felt extremely pleasant, but the lingering effects scared me sh!tless. I have not said anything about it here, and the few people I have told did not believe me. :(

Edited by Prince...

.. I had an experience happen last summer that felt extremely pleasant, but the lingering effects scared me sh!tless. I have not said anything about it here, and the few people I have told did not believe me. :(

That's typical.

Edited by Trunk

Especially with the cost of the seminar plus hotel being so cheap!
Most hotels alone will cost you $35-$120 per night. Which would be $140-$480 for 4 nights.

Now, compare that to $340 for hotel AND tuition. BTW, I have no idea why the hotel was so damn cheap, even some other locals were surprised at it. :lol:

Not me...it's nice to see gradual improvement, but I had an experience happen last summer that felt extremely pleasant, but the lingering effects scared me sh!tless. I have not said anything about it here, and the few people I have told did not believe me. :(
Let's hear it, dude! Trust me, after all the things I've seen & experienced over the last 2 years, I WILL believe you! :lol: Edited by vortex

Most hotels alone will cost you $60-$120 per night. Which would be $240-$480 for 4 nights.

Now, compare that to $340 for hotel AND tuition. BTW, I have no idea why the hotel was so damn cheap, even some other locals were surprised at it. :lol:Let's hear it, dude! Trust me, after all the things I've seen & experienced over the last 2 years, I WILL believe you! :lol:

Vortex, did they talk about having more of these seminars, like a regular thing? Seems like a good one to attend.

hello everyone,

i am not very eager to post on this forum (cause of flaming, personal or general insulting, vast speculations, gossip etc.) . this time though i would like to share a few things, and i am suggesting take what you feel has value to you and leave the things that have no meaning to you.

i went last year as a student to qinling (as she is one of the 3 official instructors (teacher is Master Wang) of LMP) to study LMP all the way to china, without knowing what i would learn. not knowing what the value would be, but ready to dish out quite a lot of money (in my personal financial state back then). all my training with qinling was personalized, and everything i did, and was capable of grasping and internalizing had an effect on the next day of training. and it was worth every second and every penny i spent, and i am very grateful for that opportunity.

when i saw that kathy li, who is the third official instructor for LMP, and she lives in atlanta, which is only a few hours from new york, is going to hold a seminar i was very excited. the price was very reasonable, and hotel was good. all the participants open-minded. i had a feeling that in 3 days we wouldnt be able to cover to much material (i rather practice anyway), maybe not even anything i hadnt heard of yet, since i trained for 10 days with qinling.

the seminar was great, for the fact, that it was the first seminar held in the US, it was the first one where master wang agreed on having a video conference call with each participant directly, the first one that kathy li was holding, and the first seminar in LMP for many participants. i think kathy li did a great job, i want to thank her for that.

if i had known that i was flying to atlanta for 2x5 minutes with master wang face to face, and i can ask any question in the world, i would have done that as well. but it was more than that. i met amazing like-minded people in the daoist mindset. i met kathy li and her husband who are long time students of master wang and i got a boost for my own practice, through the group exercises/the time in nature.

i find it fairly amusing, when people that have not attended the seminar are complaining about the seminar, based on the opinion that "a few people" had, who supposedly attended the seminar. i dont see any problem or shame that the person/people who didnt feel that they got out of the seminar what they were looking for (what they thought will be taught), express that directly to kathy li. as she said she is open for a conversation.

on the point of exercises based onthe personal level: i personally believe that being able to sit still, with an erect spine for at least half hour (of course the longer the better), is one of first stepstones, to starting to practice any other exercise that were thought there. accumulating all the knowledge about all exercises and when not being able to sit long enough to practice it, i dont quite see the sense in that. thats again just my opinion.

thanks to all the participants and kathyli for the seminar, looking forward to see more of those.

asil

hello everyone,

i am not very eager to post on this forum (cause of flaming, personal or general insulting, vast speculations, gossip etc.) . this time though i would like to share a few things, and i am suggesting take what you feel has value to you and leave the things that have no meaning to you.

i went last year as a student to qinling (as she is one of the 3 official instructors (teacher is Master Wang) of LMP) to study LMP all the way to china, without knowing what i would learn. not knowing what the value would be, but ready to dish out quite a lot of money (in my personal financial state back then). all my training with qinling was personalized, and everything i did, and was capable of grasping and internalizing had an effect on the next day of training. and it was worth every second and every penny i spent, and i am very grateful for that opportunity.

when i saw that kathy li, who is the third official instructor for LMP, and she lives in atlanta, which is only a few hours from new york, is going to hold a seminar i was very excited. the price was very reasonable, and hotel was good. all the participants open-minded. i had a feeling that in 3 days we wouldnt be able to cover to much material (i rather practice anyway), maybe not even anything i hadnt heard of yet, since i trained for 10 days with qinling.

the seminar was great, for the fact, that it was the first seminar held in the US, it was the first one where master wang agreed on having a video conference call with each participant directly, the first one that kathy li was holding, and the first seminar in LMP for many participants. i think kathy li did a great job, i want to thank her for that.

if i had known that i was flying to atlanta for 2x5 minutes with master wang face to face, and i can ask any question in the world, i would have done that as well. but it was more than that. i met amazing like-minded people in the daoist mindset. i met kathy li and her husband who are long time students of master wang and i got a boost for my own practice, through the group exercises/the time in nature.

i find it fairly amusing, when people that have not attended the seminar are complaining about the seminar, based on the opinion that "a few people" had, who supposedly attended the seminar. i dont see any problem or shame that the person/people who didnt feel that they got out of the seminar what they were looking for (what they thought will be taught), express that directly to kathy li. as she said she is open for a conversation.

on the point of exercises based onthe personal level: i personally believe that being able to sit still, with an erect spine for at least half hour (of course the longer the better), is one of first stepstones, to starting to practice any other exercise that were thought there. accumulating all the knowledge about all exercises and when not being able to sit long enough to practice it, i dont quite see the sense in that. thats again just my opinion.

thanks to all the participants and kathyli for the seminar, looking forward to see more of those.

asil

I had a great time as well, it was really wonderful meeting like minded people who are serious about training.

Meeting master Wang face to face over video chat was simply amazing, that alone was worth more than the tuition. I believe we all got more than what we paid for. I look forward to studying LMP more in the future. I wish we had gone into the methods more in depth, focusing more on theory less on actual practice during the seminar, but we did cover a lot of ground on the basics, we have enough to work with for now. For those determined enough I am sure we can get training info on the other practices on our own.

I believe the people who put this seminar together sacrificed a lot of their time and effort to make it all happen, they did their absolute best, just because we didn't learn golden flower method shouldn't be such a huge deal.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

HI EVERYONE

Usually I donnot post in this forum. I am posting here just to protest against the complain . The way the complain was written its not true. The persons who organized the seminar were very nice. They tried more than their best to explain, demonstrate. Although Its true that I came in the seminar with an impression that we would be learning meditation of golden flower and exactly those stuffs that was posted but I am happy that I l learned lot of new stuffs which I never knew before. Kathy is really nice and she took care of everyone very nicely. The greatest part is I get the great opportunity to communicate with Master Wang thats I am most happy about. I really donnot care what was not taught actually. Thank you Kathy for being so nice with everyone and giving us the great opportunity to communicate with Master Wang.I am looking forward to attend the next seminars.

Thanks to everyone.

Im sure Kathy Li is a nice Person Too.

But The Article was not an attack on Her Personality. The only thing mentioned was The Subjects not being Taught What was Advertised. Nobody was complaining about Kathy's Attitude. How this even got dragged into the Picture is Beyond me.

Secondly,I think if people had the Decency to come forward Earlier & Share a little about the past seminars, Then things might be a little Different. Its unfortunate that the very first bit of Information we hear regarding Master Wangs seminar in the U.S is not very positve. Its almost like they (The Students Who Attened) have been forced to comment here, Rather then genuinly sharing out of good will.

Now I know how busy You are with daily life etc, arent we all ? But come on, A little write up Here & There is not much to ask for and dont take much time either.

There have been at least 2 or 3 WLP Seminars recently,Yet nobody has bothered to post anything about them here. <_<

I feel if Individuals are going to use this Forum to Advertise & Promote Seminars,Events, Etc ,Then the very least They or The Students can do is give a little feedback @ The Taobums.

Thats not much to ask.

Cheers,

Edited by r.w.smith

As for WLP seminar or Gongfa, actually there exists bothering, for example, in the websites of White Temple and Laoshan. There are always a couple of flies in the sky, indicating Yin and Yang.

If possible, you'd better ask your direct teacher, who can qualifiedly contact with Master Wang, to explore what happened with what needs to be taught and how to use XIANG art ( one of five arts in taoism) through webniar and determine and guide detailed courses, which are bisically suitale for the participants.

Meanwhile, specific participants also got specific guides.

If possible, you should attend this kind of seminar, which is very convient to find sth wrong for complaints.

But The Article was not an attack on Her Personality. The only thing mentioned was The Subjects not being Taught What was Advertised. Nobody was complaining about Kathy's Attitude. How this even got dragged into the Picture is Beyond me.

Secondly,I think if people had the Decency to come forward Earlier & Share a little about the past seminars, Then things might be a little Different. Its unfortunate that the very first bit of Information we hear regarding Master Wangs seminar in the U.S is not very positve. Its almost like they (The Students Who Attened) have been forced to comment here, Rather then genuinly sharing out of good will.

Now I know how busy You are with daily life etc, arent we all ? But come on, A little write up Here & There is not much to ask for and dont take much time either.

There have been at least 2 or 3 WLP Seminars recently,Yet nobody has bothered to post anything about them here. <_<

I feel if Individuals are going to use this Forum to Advertise & Promote Seminars,Events, Etc ,Then the very least They or The Students can do is give a little feedback @ The Taobums.

Thats not much to ask.

Cheers,

There have been at least 2 or 3 WLP Seminars recently,Yet nobody has bothered to post anything about them here. dry.gif

Thats not much to ask.

W....T....F...?

:huh::blink:

Thats not much to ask.

Cheers,

Well, we only got "forced" (by ourselves) to set the record straight in response to some rather overzealously negative, 2nd-hand reviews, lol. Yes, the omission of some exercises was admittedly a fair criticism. But in the overall scheme of things, I don't think it was that big a deal for most of the students given our average n00by level, the very economical pricing and limited time. And the fact this was a first trial run and Kathy and her husband are working professionals - not professional workshop-holders.

I also think this problem can be easily corrected in the future with a disclaimer that material will ultimately only be presented according to the collective level of the students (as ascertained by Master Wang). Or he can verify the contents beforehand. Live & learn.

And I don't think anyone has any obligation to post reviews - although I certainly agree they are very helpful and it would be nice if more did! :D But if you have a gripe with any previous attendees not posting anything, that certainly isn't Kathy Li's problem. Although, I'm not sure how many TaoBums have even attended recent seminars?

Edited by vortex

My suggestion here is this. More explanation from Kathy as what to expect from her seminars (if something will be canceled then let them know that possibility) and that she needs to understand her student base (Americans/Westerners)

At the same time, understanding from the students as to the cultural teaching methods of Chinese (especially Qigong Masters).

People in the west are to the point. What does this do and why. Chinese like to talk around something and if you get it you get it. If you don't, well, you're not ready for it.

Two different cultures which have their own ways. If each would strive to meet the other half way there would be much less problems.