Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

win a million dollahs

Love the log of applicants. Reads like a Who's Who of wackos. It's interesting about how all the people on this board and in our various communities steadfastly believe in people being able to do things with their chi -- hurl people across a room and so forth -- and yet no on can prove it.

A few years ago, after a particularly inane discussion on the Healing Tao board about the mystical powers of quigong masters, I offered $500 to anyone who could move me with chi. I said I'd sit on an office chair with wheels on the bottom, on a wooden floor, and the person wouldn't be allowed to touch me. We'd video tape it to make sure. If he could move me, I'd pay.

No one accepted.

Don't really know anything about them, and you're entitled to your beliefs. As they are to theirs, and I am to mine. Of course they and I are willing to put our money where our mouth is.

So let me restate my little test of common chi kung fantasy:

$500

I sit in an office chair with wheels on it on a wood or tile floor.

The guy never touches me physically.

Rather, he moves me with his chi, just like in countless chi kung videos. That is, he makes the chair roll across the floor with me in it without touching me.

We videotape it.

We have some other check as well (e.g. powder on his hands so it will show if he touches me quickly, etc.).

This takes place in NYC.

$500 to whoever produces this guy.

If you think the rules of that test are somehow rigged for it to fail let me know and I'll revise them.

Surely a place like NYC, crossroads of the world and home of countless chi kung masters, must have a guy like this. Surely a community like ours here at taobums, pursuers of all things spiritual, physical and paranormal, must know someone who can do this.

I look forward to being sent rolling across the room.

I agree that he will not find this person.

He was also forgetting about a teeny bit of the picture : "inclusion" being that piece.

His rules are specified to men only.

Sorry, I know I'm in danger of sounding like a whining feminist...but believe me, ladies and gentlemen - I am not even close to that plane of insanity either. Its just that...these days, you cannot assume anything. And I see ignorance and arrogance in dangerous combinations at times. Most people (any kind of person) is capable of incredible things if only they'd but some effort and will into it. But hard to do when this understanding and thinking is not previously considered?

Although I am blabbering away about it, just wandered if now the rules remain unchanged? And in the chance that a 'gal' should be able to hold up to the terms...would she then be forfeit the money part because the rules state, and I'll quote :

$500 to whoever produces this guy.

Perhaps she'd need an agent. :mellow:

Seriously, though...I'm not razzin' ya, man, just wanted blabber specifics while in the meantime...unable to accept a bet like that, myself...

-M

Actually, I remember that when I wrote that I considered making it gender neutral but was too lazy (it was easier just to use the male and assume that everyone would understand it meant both genders). It was meant to be gender neutral though.

So, just to be clear, the challenge is open to any man, woman, child or animal that wishes to come forward.

A co-worker of mine was really into this guy and felt like the existence of his website proved that there is not unexplainable phenomenon. I am kind of more with freeform on this one, and I've read other decent criticisms of the lose/lose nature of Randi's tests. I also am very skeptical of people who make wild claims though without stepping forward to have them validated, like what spyrelx is talking about ... moving objects with chi, etc. Then again, I also read a decent theory on why much magickal phenomenon doesn't work in the presence of a large presence of disbelief. (I think I read about it in Real Magic or maybe in Liber Null & Psychonaut .. or maybe somewhere else, heh) ... It's kind of self-validating, but also makes sense if you think about it. The substance through which you would produce an effect outside of your body through will would need to be shaped by a powerful amount of will/intent/belief and if there are 10 disbelieving observers they are cancelling out your will. Still doesn't really explain why these feats are not filmed though ...

Doesn't really matter to me though. I don't need to believe that awe inspiring feats of external magick are necessary as I'm more interested in scientific approaches to "inner" cultivation.

Cool topic though.

Sean.

Sign in to follow this