Taiji Bum

Video- What is this Sword Form?

You will see most of those in sword sets, Omie, Mo dong, thanks for posting it I have no idea of the form itself but I have seen these moves many times in other arts just a matter of you searching the net or dvds,vcd of internal arts sword forms.

best of luck,,

Ape

Hey Darin,

Lucky you've got no furniture or it would be broken by now.

A.

Hey Darin,

Lucky you've got no furniture or it would be broken by now.

A.

I know! I moved the heavy bag with the stand and the weight bench out of there to make room for taiji and judo. Ahhh..... the joys of living alone..... :lol:

It is like the standard tai chi straight sword form with lots of parts left out, some moves not completed and with full extension missing, maybe due to limited space, and no grunting allowed! =)

Edited by Starjumper7

I've seen quite a bit more variability among jian forms in the various schools than in empty hand forms.

Names of postures are also somewhat variable in jian forms, particularly from school to school.

That said, I saw what looks like Xiao Kui Xing (Little Dipper or Little God of Literature - depending on your preferred translation of the characters 小 魁 星 ), Zuo You Lian Jie (Left and Right Intercept), Zuo You Che Lun (Left and Right Cartwheels), She Yan Shi (Shooting Wild Geese Form), and Xian Tong Chui Xiao (Immortal Child Plays the Flute). Some of the postures are similar to one of the jian forms I've learned but I don't have any characters for that particular form.

Edited by xuesheng

I just posted the question over at Empty Flower....... Tao Bums vs Empty Flower! :lol:

I find it hard to take the abuse over at Empty Flower.... even when it's not directed at me.

I find it hard to take the abuse over at Empty Flower.... even when it's not directed at me.

Is it bad over there? I dont go there much.

You may want to try "Great River Taoist Center Forums" http://forum.grtc.org/index.php. They have a good group of knowledgeable sword people.

Yes, you need alligator skin over at both Empty Flower forums, but I think the same goes for most forums when your "out of the click".

~joe

Is it bad over there? I dont go there much.

Think of the most abrasive, arrogant, and confrontational folks on Tao Bums, multiply that by an order of magnitude or two...

There are lots of good folks too but the balance is not conducive enough to respectful and open discourse for my tastes.

You may want to try "Great River Taoist Center Forums" http://forum.grtc.org/index.php. They have a good group of knowledgeable sword people.

Yes, you need alligator skin over at both Empty Flower forums, but I think the same goes for most forums when your "out of the click".

~joe

The "Great River Taoist Center Forums" have this posted.....

Anyone who has studied Chinese Swordsmanship at GRTC, with Master Wang Yen-nian, with me at a seminar or purchased my book, "Chinese Swordsmanship, The Yang Family Taiji Jian Tradition, may particapate in this Discussion Forum.

I am going to order the book but do you think they will raise a stink if I post and I am not any of those pre-requisites?

The "Great River Taoist Center Forums" have this posted.....

Anyone who has studied Chinese Swordsmanship at GRTC, with Master Wang Yen-nian, with me at a seminar or purchased my book, "Chinese Swordsmanship, The Yang Family Taiji Jian Tradition, may particapate in this Discussion Forum.

I am going to order the book but do you think they will raise a stink if I post and I am not any of those pre-requisites?

I think it would be fine. No one ever questioned me.

~joe

Looks to me like creeky old man trying to retain butt gas while doing a sword form .. ha ha ha..

Sorry man, just messing with ya.

But these movements are basic sword form movements. I don't know if it's the room or what but I would say you need to work on your Xia Pan through Zhan Zhuang or other jibengong exercises. Ask your teacher to show you more jibengong and not only form. If you're just confined in the room then disregard my comments.

Best,

:)

Looks to me like creeky old man trying to retain butt gas while doing a sword form .. ha ha ha..

Sorry man, just messing with ya.

But these movements are basic sword form movements. I don't know if it's the room or what but I would say you need to work on your Xia Pan through Zhan Zhuang or other jibengong exercises. Ask your teacher to show you more jibengong and not only form. If you're just confined in the room then disregard my comments.

Best,

:)

First off I always fart freely! Farting is fun!!! As to the second I am learning this from my sister who doesnt want to go back to the guy who showed her and ask questions. Just so you know.... I am much better at the form when I am outside. I have 21 years of empty hand taijiquan behind me and what the heck is Xia Pan jibenggong. Do people do standing meditation with the sword?

Xia Pan = Lower part of the body... root.

JiBenGong = Basics.

Zhan Zhuang = Standing practice.

Anyone wanting to be good at this art should practice at least an hour a day of standing practice. Two hours is best. This develops root and more. Just my objective opinion developed through practice.

Sorry, not trying to be insulting, just constructive comments. I too have been in the arts for over 20 years and I can tell you as I'm sure you may know, it doesn't matter about quantity (how long) but quality. I've been under some Chinese teachers who only teach form and are happy to take your money and time and teach poorly, others I've found didn't charge much but taught very good stuff.

Oh, and I agree, farting freely is a good thing.

Peace,

Xia Pan = Lower part of the body... root.

JiBenGong = Basics.

Zhan Zhuang = Standing practice.

Anyone wanting to be good at this art should practice at least an hour a day of standing practice. Two hours is best. This develops root and more. Just my objective opinion developed through practice.

Sorry, not trying to be insulting, just constructive comments. I too have been in the arts for over 20 years and I can tell you as I'm sure you may know, it doesn't matter about quantity (how long) but quality. I've been under some Chinese teachers who only teach form and are happy to take your money and time and teach poorly, others I've found didn't charge much but taught very good stuff.

Oh, and I agree, farting freely is a good thing.

Peace,

Got any videos of you doing sword work and practice stuff? I am just starting out and need all the help I can get. I'd love to find a sword master here in Detroit but I think I will have better luck researching and practicing on my own. GAWD bless the internet and Youtube!

Sure, here's a video with my Bagua teacher in Shanghai:

Here's another one of my teachers in Shanghai doing a Neigong Taiji form. He taught me a standing form he called embryotic Neigong... Heavy focus on downward pressure.

Tell me what you think of him:

Sorry, I don't have any sword forms.. I have a bunch of weapons sitting in my closet. I prefer empty hand these days.