froggie

"filling the tank before hitting the gas pedal"

As per my following question, i am making it a seperate topic here. (original thread here)

~ later edit ~

Cobra is not a restorative, btw. It's yang. It's hitting the gas pedal, not filling the tank. And, even as a yang formula, it's not balanced - more towards extreme. Not recommended.

Question: How does one fill this tank that we are talking about? ;)

So the question is, in what ways does one fill the tank before hitting the gas pedal?

I would also like to propose the additional question: In what ways can one cultivate yin / In what ways can yin be cultivated

Edited by froggie

So the question is, in what ways does one fill the tank before hitting the gas pedal?

I would also like to propose the additional question: In what ways can one cultivate yin / In what ways can yin be cultivated

Good question. An important question actually, to keep in mind over the long term.

As far as diet, look here. As far as herbs, go to whichever herb-store site and read up on yin tonics, blood tonics, and herbs that cool and circulate.

Then there's practice. Plenty to explore there.

Good question. An important question actually, to keep in mind over the long term.

As far as diet, look here. As far as herbs, go to whichever herb-store site and read up on yin tonics, blood tonics, and herbs that cool and circulate.

Then there's practice. Plenty to explore there.

Yin tonics are needed by a lot of people - but if you have compromised digestion they can make your situation worse. There's a saying in Chinese medicine "xu bu shou bu" which means deficiency unable to accept supplementation. Supplements are often very concentrated and nourishing, an already deficient person may compound their problem by taking too much.

Even so called tonics can have adverse effects if you take them based on ideas rather than your actual body situation.

Yin tonics are needed by a lot of people - but if you have compromised digestion they can make your situation worse. There's a saying in Chinese medicine "xu bu shou bu" which means deficiency unable to accept supplementation. Supplements are often very concentrated and nourishing, an already deficient person may compound their problem by taking too much.

Even so called tonics can have adverse effects if you take them based on ideas rather than your actual body situation.

Excellent advice.

How do you think Shan Yao fits into that context? It's not overly strong, yet it does nourish yin and yang to a lesser degree. It also seems to assist with the spleen & digestion. From my experience, it seems to be the safest 'tonic'.

I'd like to hear what you think .

Thanks.

I'll throw my two cents in here.

30 minute jog, 30 min squats, bench, ab work, 30 min yoga, 30 min clear mind meditation per day.

as many servings of different colors of veggies per day, some fruit. NO sugar (although I do get it from juice, honey, and maltose from beer (my real sin)). I try for almost no meat except fish. I love raw tuna, but eat the crap from a can regularly.

This is what I shoot for. When I can get there I'm feeling pretty good.

Maybe I'm feeling good with a half full tank.

I'd love to hear how I can fill it all the way up.

Oh yeah, and most importantly:

something I have been working on in the last few months. Open your heart and love everyone around you. Love everything around you. Be genuinely interested in the person in front of you regardless of who they are even if they have screwed you over. You sow and so shall ye reap (or something like that).

I don't think that this fills your tank, I think it makes your tank bigger.

something I have been working on in the last few months. Open your heart and love everyone around you. Love everything around you. Be genuinely interested in the person in front of you regardless of who they are even if they have screwed you over. You sow and so shall ye reap (or something like that).

Wonderful :)

Excellent advice.

How do you think Shan Yao fits into that context? It's not overly strong, yet it does nourish yin and yang to a lesser degree. It also seems to assist with the spleen & digestion. From my experience, it seems to be the safest 'tonic'.

I'd like to hear what you think .

Thanks.

Shan Yao is officially classified as a Qi tonic but it also supplements moisture and Yin. As such if you have a Dampness condition it's not advisable to have too much (candida and other fungal/bacterial overgrowths in the digestive track are among the western disease conditions that fall into the category of Dampness).

There is no one safest tonic for all people, it depends on their condition. But, if someone is going to experiment (what cultivator doesn't have a touch of mad scientist?), tonics are the safest place to start. Generally, side effects from taking the wrong tonic are mild and you would need to take the wrong herb for quite a long time or in a ridiculously large dose to do any real damage.

Viewed from this perspective, most of the health problems in the west stem from inappropriate and/or over consumption of tonic foods.

Deepbluesea,

Great plan, though I'd go easy on the tuna. Even the best tuna has pretty high levels of mercury and other heavy metals. Save tuna for sushi. Eating out of the can.. go for kippers and sardines!

less leaky maybe? pretty much lifting that from the buddhist concept of a "leaky vessel", so I'm just the one who's mis-applying it, not the one who thought it up