Gerard

On becoming a wandering monk

Pros:

1. More time to practice the spiritual path.

2. Less time for distractions and society's mind and energy pollution.

Cons:

1. Food, hygiene and maybe shelter. Who is going to feed you while you wander around? Where are you going to wash your clothes? What if they wear off, who is going to provide you with new ones? I guess this wouldn't be too much of an issue if you happen to ask in monasteries and the like.

2. Visa issues

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I am thinking of becoming one for at least 5 years possibly more but nothing over 10 years once I finish paying off my debts, finish Bagua training and have some money saved up for when I return.

Places to wander:

Mainly central Asia, China and India.

I would like to hear your opinions on this issue.

Thanks.

If you're young, unattached and looking for adventure - go.

But if you're running from some imperfection - know it will find you where ever you go.

Wow, durkhrod chogori!

That's a seriously interesting proposal! It is true what the other poster stated though, insofar as what are your motivations? For it is very easy to romanticize the wandering hermit / monk life. It may end up being far more challenging trying to find and satisfy basic needs for food, clothing and shelter leaving you even less time to practice. However, if you do spend more time living in monasteries than aimlessly roaming the countryside, you may have mostly all day, every day, to practice. But then that is true now, for we can practice while at work etc. Often, we wish we could just leave our easy lifestyles because they are so full of distractions. This is because they ARE so easy, and as a result, we have so much spare time to be distracted, but as such, not enough time to practice and meditate. Perhaps it would be just easier if we lived a sparse lifestyle here in the west were we just work four days a week and practice meditation for the rest of the time when we are not eating, sleeping, showering etc. That would entail minimal or no computer, no tv, no socializing etc. And having the discipline to actually say NO is the hardest part. Actually sitting down and practicing is the hardest part of all. And just as hard on retreat too, where there is no distractions to stop us.

I have known people who went on retreat and spent most of their time bush walking and doing everything but sitting and meditation. It is the mind that is the source of our suffering, and we take that very mind with us where ever we go, so suffering literally, as you know, is unavoidable if we merely change our environmental circumstances. And our mind can be worked on regardless of our circumstances.

So the question is, could you give up the western lifestyle and still live amidst the western world, still working and practicing amidst temptation?

I wonder myself. <_<:D

In kind regards,

Adam.

Edited by Adam West

Durkhrod, you live in australia! this is the easiest place in the world to wander... you can stop by the various Dharma centres and do bits of work for them, you can beg in the city's - One 'professional bum/homeless person who sits down in dirty clothes on the street in Melbourne sometimes makes 1500 in a day. If you wore your monk robes sitting there you would rake it in... And you could then give what you dont need to those who do.

Seriously go overseas for the fun if you want but really, every thing is here. I wandered for years in Aus. It was awesome :lol:

Enjoy!

Im thinking about this same issue daily in all seriousness. First for a few years, later preferably permanent.

Not easy but also not impossible.

Good luck on your quest :)

Pros:

I like the idea of being a wandering monk, but don't feel these two pros go very deep into what is gained. These sound like descriptions of a hermit or ascetic lifestyle as opposed to a wanderers lifestyle. One pro that is different from a hermit is that one is less inclined to form certain types of habits. The wandering, I imagine, with the various challenges, situations and encounters will require you to constantly re-evaluate ones actions. Only wanderer I know much about is Alexander David-Neel, from the book Forbidden Journey. She's a Buddhist, and not a monk per se, but she definitely encountered her challenges. Best wishes on your journey, outside and in

In any sort of traveling adventure like that, I'd make a point to visit some organic farming communities along the way.

I think it is a wonderful thing, I myself have been doing this for more than a year now and it does have it's pros and cons. I have been doing it in the states and staying with various friends and people who are interested in the cause, and plan on continuing this lifestyle. I gained a lot from looking into various lightweight backpacking sites, and also Rolf Potts book "Vagabonding" as this is the main concern of the book. Get it. Read it. It will be hard to hold you back then. It is a life changing book that I recommend to anyone who has ever considered this path.

As far as practical concerns go you figure it out along the way. Of course it is not the easiest way to live but what way of life worth living is easy. But it is a life of true adventure, and things will happen to you that will be totally unexpected, wonderful, and beautiful.

I have been looking into staying in the states till next spring and then going out of the country. I think I am going to go on a 500 mile pilgrimage in early Spring ( http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/ ) and then heading from there to South East Asia.

My parting comments are it will change your life and the way you look at life from that point on. Also as I said above get Rolf's book it will answer a lot of your questions I think:

http://www.amazon.com/Vagabonding-Uncommon...2586&sr=8-1

Message me if you have questions or want more specific info on "the life".

Pros:

Cons:

1. Food, hygiene and maybe shelter. Who is going to feed you while you wander around? Where are you going to wash your clothes? What if they wear off, who is going to provide you with new ones? I guess this wouldn't be too much of an issue if you happen to ask in monasteries and the like.

2. Visa issues

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I am thinking of becoming one for at least 5 years possibly more but nothing over 10 years once I finish paying off my debts, finish Bagua training and have some money saved up for when I return.

Places to wander:

Mainly central Asia, China and India.

I would like to hear your opinions on this issue.

Thanks.

thats all very nice son...but what YOU gonna do for the good folks ya meet...let me give ya a clue...MONK...ya think monks go round just poncin offa folks...na...they do things like blessing an prayers n shit like that...thats why folks give em food n shelter...what you talking about is poncin...and yeah...ya rite to be thinkin of those visas cos if you aint got...well...they got enough of there own begars n poor an no need to be importin them...shit...spend some time in these places and yall come runnin n screamen back to good ol civilization...

Trust me if you are open to new possibilities you will see that people will open up to you and it won't seem like taking advantage of anyone. You just must read Vagabonding, he covers all the issue you were asking about and also, and more importantly how to deal with all the people who will not understand what you are doing and why? I have not left anywhere I have stayed without the people thanking me for being there.

You can private message me and I will share my experiences with you and help you out if you are serious about this path.

... once I finish paying off my debts, finish Bagua training and have some money saved up for when I return.

Does one ever finish Bagua training?

I think it is a wonderful thing, I myself have been doing this for more than a year now and it does have it's pros and cons. I have been doing it in the states and staying with various friends and people who are interested in the cause, and plan on continuing this lifestyle. I gained a lot from looking into various lightweight backpacking sites, and also Rolf Potts book "Vagabonding" as this is the main concern of the book. Get it. Read it. It will be hard to hold you back then. It is a life changing book that I recommend to anyone who has ever considered this path.

As far as practical concerns go you figure it out along the way. Of course it is not the easiest way to live but what way of life worth living is easy. But it is a life of true adventure, and things will happen to you that will be totally unexpected, wonderful, and beautiful.

I have been looking into staying in the states till next spring and then going out of the country. I think I am going to go on a 500 mile pilgrimage in early Spring ( http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/ ) and then heading from there to South East Asia.

My parting comments are it will change your life and the way you look at life from that point on. Also as I said above get Rolf's book it will answer a lot of your questions I think:

http://www.amazon.com/Vagabonding-Uncommon...2586&sr=8-1

Message me if you have questions or want more specific info on "the life".

Oh, you are going to Santiago this summer?

If you want you can come down to Coimbra and visit me. You would be welcome.

Cheers,

Pietro

Oh, you are going to Santiago this summer?

If you want you can come down to Coimbra and visit me. You would be welcome.

Cheers,

Pietro

I might take you up on that offer. I am thinking of doing the Camino in either April/May or August/Sept. depends on what is going on here. But I would love to come down there and meet you and hang out for a couple of days. Thank you so much for the offer Brother. It means a lot to me and others like me.

Just do it ! If I had the swoosh, I would put it here;-)

But know that you can also do it right where you are - a very different challenge.

Agree with some other folks, don't be a Trustafarian and a sponger;-)

Now I want to read that book!