GrandTrinity

Your Parents??????

Are you a ninja?

I am thinking of training my parents to be ninjas.

8112[/snapback]

No but I know some good books on it and am training right now...will have to get with a live teacher or two, of course. When I say ninja I use that as a generic term for some a higher thing than just what most of us assoicate with such a word. Ninjas transcend time and space.

I just thought it'd be easier to train ninjas if you were one, is all. :lol:

No but I know some good books on it and am training right now...will have to get with a live teacher or two, of course. When I say ninja I use that as a generic term for some a higher thing than just what most of us assoicate with such a word. Ninjas transcend time and space.

8116[/snapback]

There's a ninja dude on this very forum. Hiding somewhere, I suppose.

but of course :lol:

Or you know one who could train one  :)

8121[/snapback]

Both my parents have met my teacher.

My mother actually took a retreat. My father though, told me after meeting with him:

"I really don't get this guy. I feel he has no ego!" And that was not good.

h

When I started meditation my parents opposed it. Mainly it was my fault as I took the missionary attitude of wanting to change them. Later I stopped trying to change them, and they stopped trying to change me (for as much as parents can). It took many years before they realized that it was not just a passing 'phase'.

Some years later my mother told me: "You know, I hate you, because you know how to meditate while I don't". That was an opening. Later a good buddhist meditation teacher who had been teaching history of buddhism at Rome university for a lifetime opened a small course to teach some basic meditations. I suggested her to attend, and now she practices vipassana meditation regularly. She also went back to her Christian roots, and sees Buddhism as a necessary prerequisite to understand Christian practices. For example in Rome there are quite some priests that are learning from Buddhists the meaning of the word 'contemplation'. Which is so often used in Christianity and so much misuderstood.

My father had some pain at the base of the spine all his life. It was my fault. When I was 6, as we were descending some stairs I grabbed his hand with the aim of JUUMPING down. The fall was quite bad and from that time he had a subtle spine pain that never went completely away. Evenutally (more then 25 years later, amazing that it had any effect!) I tought him the spine stretch from BK and in a few months the pain was gone. Frome that moment he took my advises more seriously and he is now following Eric's book, the 100 days.

Indeed for me it was true TTC line:

if you want to change your family start by changing yourself.

Suzuki Roshi says something along the lines that it is a very beneficial practice for one's energy level and realization to see your parents, kids, spouse, friends, associates as already absolutely perfect, impossible to improve.

Having said that... Mom got into Buddhism about the time I was leaving it, so we are still a religion apart and it's better that way.

In the last 10-20 years, pretty much everyone in America sees the benefits of energy visualizations, meditation, exercise, yoga, positive thinking and visualization, etc. Just like everyone knows that exercise and good diet are good for you but nobody actually does it, so we are all pretty much on the same page.