Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

A World of Taoist practice is fast approaching

I would invite people to acquaint themselves with James Howard Kunstler, author of "The Geography of Nowhere" and "The Long Emergency." As a geography graduate student I find his writings essential. What the devil does this have to do with our internal energy practice? Well, if Kunstler is right, our fossil-fuel based consumer economy has just about run its course, leaving North Americans with the prospect of a collapsing food production system and a failed health care system. I've read with much sympathy some of the posts that express a longing for a simpler life, where our immersion in the Taoist arts can unfold unimpeded. Seems like there's always the thorny issue of financial independence that keeps folks from truly taking the plunge and committing to practice full time. All I really need is an off-the-grid home in the Canadian Rockies, maybe BC, with a greenhouse and a water supply, and...oh yeah, a 12-foot Mason Hamlin grand piano... and my library and...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

Please check out www.kunstler.com and at least read his weekly essay on how the world as we know it is really on its last legs. The remnants of humanity that survive the collapse of the oil era will not engage in the luxury of Taoist healing arts; these arts will become as necessary as growing food and dressing a freshly killed deer, or constructing a dwellingplace.

Since Taoists appear to be a curious and intellectual lot, I suspect I am not alone in this dialogue.

And some who imagined that technology and convenience impeded their practice, will discover too late that it facilitated their practice.

:D !

The only thing technology impedes is our ability to develop focus and willpower.

Sign in to follow this