karen

"Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston Price, now free online

This book is a classic on native nutrition - Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, by Weston Price, now online here.

Very nice.

I used to own that one. You should leave that one on the coffee table right next to the cookies. Just to freak everyone out. (those pictures make me want to shreek in horror :P)

What, the pictures of the beautiful native people with gorgeous teeth, who've never been to a dentist? Yeah, after spending a fortune on dental restorations, that could be horrifying :lol:

I was thinking more of the stark contrast before the beautiful teeth and the "cookie eater's teeth" :) You know, the ones that that look like The Hunchback of Notre Dame's mouth.

This book is a classic on native nutrition - Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, by Weston Price, now online here.

Great! I love the nourishing traditions cookbook.

dentistry is in many ways actually horrible. mercury fillings? i mean come on.

and the foods we eat? come on.

and the toothpaste is just too chemical. nature has things for us, but so many people do not know it yet.

anyone know Miswak (toothbrush tree, Salvadora persica) and toothpaste made from miswak and calcium carbonate and water.

jeez, now THAT's Toothpaste.

It's been said by politically incorrect biological dentists that a high percentage of procedures done by dentists are really elective. Imagine going to a dentist who says, "You have a cavity. I could drill/fill it if you want - or not, if you want!" And there are less invasive methods that biological dentists can use to get rid of decay without the drilling that traumatizes and can weaken the tooth.

Many dentists aren't using mercury fillings anymore, but there are many other hazards in dentistry - even the white composite fillings are quite toxic. Then there's the issue of root canals.. that's a whole 'nother story.

Anyway, might want to look into the ingredients in the miswak toothpaste.. Many Ayurvedic toothpastes don't list all the ingredients, only the nice herbal ones, and it's harder to find out what else is in them.. If the toothpaste is the usual pasty consistency and lathers up in the mouth like most toothpaste, then it must contain other ingredients to provide consistency, and those are usually sodium lauryl sulfate and glycerin, both of which should be avoided. If the miswak was a tooth powder, that would be better.

-Karen

Dr. Price's theories in part are based on misunderstanding soil chemistry and how minerals are made available to plants. Mineral availability is a function of soil ph. Soil ph is affected by organic components, microbial populations, rainfall, pollution, erosion, fertilizers, pesticides, soil type i.e, clay, sandy loam, glacial and volcanic. Mechanistic impacts either from natural processes or farming also have impact on ph. Soil ph is very difficult to change since it is measured on a logarithmic scale. Every mineral has a unique charge which determines where on the ph scale it is available. If the ph is slightly off, that element will be unavailable or at best a small percent will be bio available. Over time depending on the factors mentioned, there can be a gradual release of certain elements.

In an attempt to solve crop failures and decreased production, such chemicals as urea (liquid N) granular N and other elemental (organic and inorganic) methods were developed to increase crop production/acre to feed a growing world population.

The problem with Dr. Price's theories, is that they do not apply now. Why? Small farms will not feed 6.9 billion people. Small communities? Yes! Large cities? No! Small farms can't work on that scale. The law of diminishing returns quickly applies. Organic small farms can't produce enough per acre to feed large populations.

There are some recent technological breakthroughs that I am using in my landscape business. Beneficial microbial inoculates that only work on small scales if and only if there is sufficient organic matter already in place. The other is an organic calcium supplement that holds promise for large scale food crop applications.

BTW, I use no industrial chemicals in my business. The application of N, actually inhibits (shrivels) root systems.

ralis