Way

Zhine question

I've recently added Zhine to my practice. So far, I've worked up to 25 minute sessions twice a day. I've reached the point where the drooling is no longer a problem and I'm down to about 2 tears per eye per session. I realize that although my eyes remain fixed on the object, my focus is continually re focusing. Now that I've noticed, I find that I can remain on the object without refocusing - but only for a matter of seconds. Is this normal? Are you supposed to get to the point where you eyes remain on the object without any refocusing?

you're posting on a Taoist forum about a Buddhist meditation practice. I suggest you post here http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/ there is a Meditation subforum where many advanced practitioners frequent, i have complete faith in their ability to help you

you're posting on a Taoist forum about a Buddhist meditation practice. I suggest you post here http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/ there is a Meditation subforum where many advanced practitioners frequent, i have complete faith in their ability to help you

Well, thanks for the link. I didn't think my post would be too off topic, especially compared to some of the other threads here - "End of the world", "aliens", "Advaita Vedanta vs Buddhism", and so on. I would be surprise if no one on the forum has ever practiced Zhine. Still, I'll check out the other forum - thank you.

Edited by Way

it's not off-topic, I just don't think anyone here is qualified to help you.

Yes, thank you. I have registered, and posted the question there. I feel a little out of place there though! I've probably posted it in the wrong place, or made some other faux pas!

Way:)

I think there are probably quite a few people here who are qualified to speak about Buddhist practices in some detail.

Welcome to The Tao Bums discussion forum. This is an informal community created to discuss Tao (Dao), particularly as is expressed in key philosophical texts such as the well known Tao Te Ching of Lao Tzu, health and cultivation practices such as Tai Chi and Qigong (Chi Kung), nonconceptual meditation approaches such as Zuowang (sitting and forgetting), and also the historical developments of Taoism as the bona fide Chinese religion of Taoist priests and shamans. Don't let this intro scare you though. Most of us are syncretic at heart. Discussion is encouraged to wander eclectically across a wide range of spiritual thought and practice, whether Buddhist, Yogic, Tantric, Judaic, Advaitic, Christian, Islamic, Shamanic, Occult, "New Age", Integral... As long as you are up for a good time, you're welcome to discuss your path.

While there may better sites to go to, TTB is probably as good as any. I have seen much discussion across a wide array of disciplines.

Haha really?

Mikaelz you make me laugh brother.

Yes i am qualified to help with Zhine.

S

Well, no replies from the other forum yet. I guess maybe it's because - I'm a complete newbie, or I posted it in the wrong section, or it's a dumb question, or maybe those that know think it's wrong for somebody who has not done 100,000 prostrations, 100,000 refuge prayers, 100,000 etc, etc, to practice Shi Ne.

But anyway, I think I have my own answer. I have managed to extend these "non refocusing periods" to last several breaths. These periods feel super lucid. I feel certain that the aim in "forced shi ne" is to get to the point where you can gaze at an object, without blinking, swallowing, etc., and where your eyes can remain relaxed without tearing up and focused for a given period of time - in my case 25 minutes minimum. I think the movement of the eyes is in some way related to thoughts ie, relaxed focused eyes = relaxed focused mind. But I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences who has mastered Shi Ne / Zhine.

Way :)

Haha really?

Mikaelz you make me laugh brother.

Yes i am qualified to help with Zhine.

S

Hey - posted at exactly the same time!

Way:-)

I've recently added Zhine to my practice. So far, I've worked up to 25 minute sessions twice a day. I've reached the point where the drooling is no longer a problem and I'm down to about 2 tears per eye per session. I realize that although my eyes remain fixed on the object, my focus is continually re focusing. Now that I've noticed, I find that I can remain on the object without refocusing - but only for a matter of seconds. Is this normal? Are you supposed to get to the point where you eyes remain on the object without any refocusing?

Way there is an entire "rewiring" that occurs in Zhine

Its a lot like Kap's "Soft eyes or NINJA eyes". and Shambhavi Mudra.

Key is "relax" the Gaze , and like "KAP" breath through it.

my best advice is to practice it looking at the sky with Jaw full relaxed open as if you are "crying", and eyes looking in to the void at night Sky.

Also try with the Moon and or a star. DAY LIGHT is too strong to use the sun so do not do it.

you are supposed to go "Beyond" the object

& also try focusing on the "space" between you & the object.

& Also try to look with in the objects "Space".

You can chant in internally "Huuu" or "Hoom" or "AH"

Let me know how this goes then conact me I will help you further.

Allow yourself to "Cry"/tear & also "Drool" this purifies the Nadis in the head.

Eventually its as if you are a mountain and water fall is coming out of eye sockets & mouth.

And to answer the "taoist" who says its not relevant to talk about buddhist technique here.....

Zhine is a BON PO practice that predate Buddhism & Taoism and is one of the 1st methods of "dissoliving in to the Void which influenced majorly taoism, buddhism, tantra etc".

So yes its VERY relevant to TAO BUMBS.

Remember way there are 3 aspects to ever practice

1) "Outer"

2) "inner"

3) "SECRET"

try to understand "ZHINE" from these 3 perspectives.

Love

Santi

Edited by Vajrasattva

Way there is an entire "rewiring" that occurs in Zhine

Its a lot like Kap's "Soft eyes or NINJA eyes". and Shambhavi Mudra.

Key is "relax" the Gaze , and like "KAP" breath through it.

my best advice is to practice it looking at the sky with Jaw full relaxed open as if you are "crying", and eyes looking in to the void at night Sky.

Also try with the Moon and or a star. DAY LIGHT is too strong to use the sun so do not do it.

you are supposed to go "Beyond" the object

& also try focusing on the "space" between you & the object.

& Also try to look with in the objects "Space".

You can chant in internally "Huuu" or "Hoom" or "AH"

Let me know how this goes then conact me I will help you further.

Allow yourself to "Cry"/tear & also "Drool" this purifies the Nadis in the head.

Eventually its as if you are a mountain and water fall is coming out of eye sockets & mouth.

And to answer the "taoist" who says its not relevant to talk about buddhist technique here.....

Zhine is a BON PO practice that predate Buddhism & Taoism and is one of the 1st methods of "dissoliving in to the Void which influenced majorly taoism, buddhism, tantra etc".

So yes its VERY relevant to TAO BUMBS.

Remember way there are 3 aspects to ever practice

1) "Outer"

2) "inner"

3) "SECRET"

try to understand "ZHINE" from these 3 perspectives.

Love

Santi

Hi Santi,

Thanks for a great reply. I guess I should have asked Tao about in it the first place, but I don't like to hassle him. I'm sure his mailbox is always full of people wanting help etc, yours too I expect!

At the mo., I'm useing the Tibetan A, using a star sounds good though.

I tried using a mantra at first, but found it better without. It was like trying to do two things at once. It didn't seem like much help.

Does there come a time when the drooling stops? Sometime it seems like there is not much saliva, yet other times...well you know the score. :blink:

Way

:-)

Edited by Way