mgd

What is the definition of a morally good person?

Is it something that can be taught?

To have De

Is it something that can be taught?

To have De is to do away with to have no De

I recommend you read plato's protagoras. it's a short dialogue that addresses these EXACT questions: what is the definition of a morally good person, and can virtue be taught? it's quite short and I'm sure you can get it for free online.

Hi! this is my first post. Excuse my english because its my second language.

I belive that a morally good person is the one who have develop a moral of Consciousness.

We first learn a Moral from our parents, school, society or religion. This moral will dictate the way we relate to others and to the world. That its not ours, is inherited. As we grow old we may have conflicting experiences wich would contradict these set of moral values an then the problem begins. Sadness, inconformity, pain and suffering are just kind words to describe the inner conflict.

A morally good person is the one who have develop its own set of values from personal experiences (internal and external) and by daring to question all the known, there for changing his life by every experience, evolving every instant.

Im not talking the childish attitud of changing with your moods or fashion. Im talking about chang from inside.

The real cuestion its: How do i develop tha moral product of the merge of my inner life and the outside world?

Peace,

Leigong

Everyone likes to feel happy and doesn't like to feel bad. So a morally good person is someone who makes others happy, and doesn't make them feel bad.

It can get more complicated than that, and no one is perfect.

Food for thought: How do you judge morality when it gets into the gray areas?

Suggestion: To me you have to act from the heart, then you can decide if you were truly being moral. Sometimes the act itself just can't be fully judged, but the purity of intent behind it can.

Everyone likes to feel happy and doesn't like to feel bad. So a morally good person is someone who makes others happy, and doesn't make them feel bad.

It can get more complicated than that, and no one is perfect.

Gotta disagree with this. Every person I have met with a high degree of -morality- i.e someone who I felt was a true conduit of the devine. Has made me feel anything but happy.Like a mirror the men and women of high learning have the uncanny ability of reflecting all that is not so nice in oneself.

In fact I would go so far as to say if you have a teacher,sifu,master and they don't make you uncomfortable then your wasting your time.

seadog,

Well said.

It is about making others wiser, not making others feel better.

I think Scotty and Seadog are both correct. The points they raise need not be mutually exclusive.

Basically humans are a combination of both virtue and offense karma, so each of us are a mixed bag to varying degrees. The purpose of cultivation is to eliminate all that which is not conducive to or in accord with balance and harmony, peace and virtue.

A moral person can bring out the morality that is in others, and that can be sensed as peace and acceptance. They can also expose that which is not moral in a person in order for that to be recognised by the individual and eliminated. When this happens it can make one feel uncomforatble usually in the form of shame, but the good thing about that is that it can motivate us to 'clean up our act', or at least try to begin to.

Which works better: positive or negative reinforcement?

I've wittnessed both from the same person toward different people, and the determing factor was the character of the recipient. It can't be fixed, it depends on the person in question, are they arrogant, or humble, honest, dishonest, etc etc.

2 cents (AUD)

Edited by mat black