Owledge

Speaking in tongues - christian version fake?

You could watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbQBajYnEc

but they don't explain how it works. Only interesting is that when they do it, there is even less brain activity in certain regions.

After I watched this:

I was clarified and confused at the same time. His account of the experience sounds like the blockage-releasing type, the opening to the divine, but when he demonstrates and says that everyone can just do it spontaneously, I got the impression that at the basis this (supposedly) christian version of speaking in tongues is just random, creative babbling. Everybody can do it. And the guy in the video doesn't look excited at all when doing it.

Also, the frequent repetition of sounds indicated that it is made up, because when you do it, you often have to wait for new ideas for sounds to make and so you do a 'loop play'.

Or is it SUPPOSED to be done this way and would trigger the described bliss? :huh:

Edited by Hardyg

An interesting form of speaking in tongues I heard recently is dubbed the "language of light." And just listening to it really activated me.

You can hear a small sample of this type of "channeling" here. Funny thing is that shaking and speaking in tongues amongst certain Christian sects may actually be symptoms of kundalini awakening...unbeknownst to them.

I know that speaking in tongues and other manifestations of awakened kundalini were commonplace among the Quakers and Shakers [who travelled from Britain to the USA]. Kundalini "shaking" is how they got their names!

It comes from the stars...from where we came from and still are. It comes from other aspects of self in other realms and times and places. From past Earth cultures and current Star cultures.

Appears to be the same 'science' as things like healing sounds or Solfeggio frequencies.

The LoL (LOL! :lol:) doesn't resonate with me, though. ( Pun intended! ;) ) Could be nothing more than made up words as a carrier for emotional tone of voice, and that's regular ... being touched by emotion - depending on how much your heart is already open.

Edited by Hardyg

I have a Christian background and my parents and siblings still participate in a church where people speak in tongues. My understanding of the Biblical perspective on this is that if someone is truly speaking in tongues there will ALWAYS be a translator present. Someone who can interpret what is said. I have seen hundreds of people speak in "tongues" and I believe that maybe about .01% of them were authentic. I often babysit my nephews during the church services (my sibling and her husband are playing in the worship band) and see most of what goes on during them. The pastor (who is maybe 28-30 years old) LOVES to speak in tongues, and does so regularly. I've watched him start speaking in tongues and will see him discretely watching others to see who is paying attention to him. I have never heard anyone translate what he says. I know for a fact that there are people who do speak in tongues and I have heard this and heard someone translate what was said, but I think this is rare. About as rare as a kundalini awakening. Speaking in tongues to me is like having spontaneous kriyas. You can't induce them, they are spontaneous. You can't control it, it just happens when it is meant to happen. It is easy to fake though, and it seems as though it is becoming "trendy" to speak in tongues and more and more people are doing it to fit in and be seen as "holy" or "in touch with God". Personally I see this as extremely fake. Probably an unfair judgement and a complete generalization though.

About kundalini awakenings and Christianity. I believe that this is called being "on fire for God", being "slain in the spirit", or being "filled with the Holy Ghost" in their terms. But again I think this is very rare and often faked. But again, there is some authenticity to it as well and I have met kundalini awakened practicing Christians so they do exist. Kundalini is not reserved for any specific practice set. Anyone who is striving for that deep connection to Source is headed one day for an awakening I believe.

Love,

Carson :D

P.S. I don't think speaking in tongues is reserved for Christians either. I had an experience once where my mantra changed into a language I have no idea what it was, but it was instantly translated in my head to mean "Thank you God". It was one of the most powerful meditations I have ever had.

Edited by CarsonZi

While on a trip to one of the middle eastern countries, I was a forced witness to an exorcism performed by Sufi Priest on a 7-year old. She spoke several tongues - it all seemed same to me though. But the ones there which included a visiting French linguist, all visibly shaken, stated that she was speaking several ancient dialects of Persian, and Hebrew and something else. It was fascinating to watch the whole ritual and equally frightening. In this case, explaining is easy as all this was attributed to an entity within the child.

Edited by SiliconValley

I have a Christian background and my parents and siblings still participate in a church where people speak in tongues. My understanding of the Biblical perspective on this is that if someone is truly speaking in tongues there will ALWAYS be a translator present. Someone who can interpret what is said. I have seen hundreds of people speak in "tongues" and I believe that maybe about .01% of them were authentic. I often babysit my nephews during the church services (my sibling and her husband are playing in the worship band) and see most of what goes on during them. The pastor (who is maybe 28-30 years old) LOVES to speak in tongues, and does so regularly. I've watched him start speaking in tongues and will see him discretely watching others to see who is paying attention to him. I have never heard anyone translate what he says. I know for a fact that there are people who do speak in tongues and I have heard this and heard someone translate what was said, but I think this is rare. About as rare as a kundalini awakening. Speaking in tongues to me is like having spontaneous kriyas. You can't induce them, they are spontaneous. You can't control it, it just happens when it is meant to happen. It is easy to fake though, and it seems as though it is becoming "trendy" to speak in tongues and more and more people are doing it to fit in and be seen as "holy" or "in touch with God". Personally I see this as extremely fake. Probably an unfair judgement and a complete generalization though.

About kundalini awakenings and Christianity. I believe that this is called being "on fire for God", being "slain in the spirit", or being "filled with the Holy Ghost" in their terms. But again I think this is very rare and often faked. But again, there is some authenticity to it as well and I have met kundalini awakened practicing Christians so they do exist. Kundalini is not reserved for any specific practice set. Anyone who is striving for that deep connection to Source is headed one day for an awakening I believe.

Love,

Carson :D

P.S. I don't think speaking in tongues is reserved for Christians either. I had an experience once where my mantra changed into a language I have no idea what it was, but it was instantly translated in my head to mean "Thank you God". It was one of the most powerful meditations I have ever had.

I have been tested by the Church of England Church Army seminary (and you don't get more down to earth than that) under conditions of complete scientific hermeticism for this gift - after speaking, the text was on a covered board I didn't know was there, nor did I know the test was scheduled or the tester.

The meditation is needed to clear all of you out of the way, to let that Spirit talk through you. In my case, it was plain English, but I had the feeling it was working in Aramaic through me. Strange feeling, moderated by gladness to be of service. Satori is effectively identical. Any Christians following this way, study Samuel.

I'm not doctor but my guess is that the difference is in what he's actually saying. When he's speaking english he understands what it is he's saying, obviously, and when he speaks in tongues he has no idea what he's actually saying, he's just making it up.

It's difficult to really explain what I'm trying to say..I think it's bedtime :o

Yeah, there was a whole lot of explanation missing in the report. They should have said what exactly the 'language center' is for. Maybe it's only for comprehension of language, not the 'mechanics' of moving your lips.

There is an interesting account by one of Dr. Glenn Morris's students of attending a Christian revival in Texas in this blog: Breathe Deeply See the post entitled "Headbanger's Ball".

I don't know the author, Andy, but he has a lot of interesting stories to tell about training with Glenn (and Santiago & Tao), living in Taiwan, massage and yoga training in Thailand, etc. on his blog.

I believe in the experience of 'speaking in tongues'. There are other names for it as well. Yes it can occur spontaneously especially while chanting mantra. Some mantra can produce this quite quickly. Yes I agree it can be translated. In my understanding the expression of this phenomena and the translation can be developed. It is like the 3rd eye experience. Some people get visions during meditation, some get visions without meditation, some develop their 3rd eye capabilities so that they can 'see' all the time. This is much the same. It is based on an energy center in the body and when this particular energy center opens up the the 'new language' emerges.

Sometimes not all the time but with proper development it can emerge more often. For some at their discretion.

Thanks

I think it's fake. I have had an experience of my own, where I faked it and such. I had people believing it was real, that right there gave me everything I need to get away from Christianity. If anyone wants more details about my experience, please let me know. I will write a little write-up.

My uncle used to speak in tongues when he was young. The Catholic church brought in a priest who specialized in the phenomenon and the priest translated what he said. On that occasion he was speaking perfectly in classical Latin and then in ancient Hebrew. He had no idea what he was saying and said that it felt like a positive force (the holy ghost) was speaking through him. The church declared it a genuine case and many people came to see my uncle for several years. The gift disappeared by about the time he turned 17.

My uncle used to speak in tongues when he was young. The Catholic church brought in a priest who specialized in the phenomenon and the priest translated what he said. On that occasion he was speaking perfectly in classical Latin and then in ancient Hebrew. He had no idea what he was saying and said that it felt like a positive force (the holy ghost) was speaking through him. The church declared it a genuine case and many people came to see my uncle for several years. The gift disappeared by about the time he turned 17.

Wow, that is quite interesting. I guess this life is just to mysterious, to say the least.

While on a trip to one of the middle eastern countries, I was a forced witness to an exorcism performed by Sufi Priest on a 7-year old. She spoke several tongues - it all seemed same to me though. But the ones there which included a visiting French linguist, all visibly shaken, stated that she was speaking several ancient dialects of Persian, and Hebrew and something else. It was fascinating to watch the whole ritual and equally frightening. In this case, explaining is easy as all this was attributed to an entity within the child.

Why were you forced to witness it?