Sign in to follow this  
zanshin

Spirit Guides

Anyone know where the idea of spirit guides popular in New Age beliefs came from? Doesn't seem very Taoist to me, but is there anything similar in Chinese folk religion or other old Eastern religions? thanks.

It comes from Shamanism, which is where Taoism itself came from. Shamanism has originated independently all over the world, it's quite fascinating and and unbelievable experience if you 'try it'. Hope that helps.

I've talked to a couple of Masters and they came with the suggestion that it is better not to interact with any kind of spirits. Keep in mind that deception is rampant, they may masquerade to be something that they are not (...trojan horse). Don't take anything at face value, they may twist around the illusion that we live in to deceive.

My experience has been really nice in that area. Attracted a wolf. It seems nice enough, even if it does snap at people who project to me.

Other than that a friend of mine has a really nice guide who hugs me when I come for visits. Its a pleasant feeling. :)

I think Carl jung was on the money when he called such things archetypes. They are patterns of thoughts or thought forms which the mind turns into an image we can understand. Sort of decoding a message. Not that they have no power or that they are only the imagination. As it is quite clear that thoughts are things, can influence and have power. According to some quantam physicist they are the most powerful thing. It's just that its not a "spirit" the way we see it.

Edited by Ramon25

Sign in to follow this