River Gazer

Guys, gals, whatever

My mind has sat on the idea of likely nuclear war for the last few years. China has 40,000 nukes, NATO has 25,000, almost all owned by America... Quite enough to destroy eachother.

Now, here is where it gets tricky. In the event of nuclear war, the prime targets will be cities. After cities are destroyed, much of the rural parts will die of starvation/dehydration.

Essentially, the only ones which would survive are the ones unreliant on the system enough to get by in the long term, which is about 0.3% by my best guess.

"True propriety "acts" and if you don't respond They will roll up their sleeves and threaten you."

-Tao Te Ching, Charles Muller, chapter 38

Now, no one wants nuclear oblivion. As much as this world has earned enormous amounts of ire from me, I don't want everybody to die. I just want either that or them to change. Either way, I ain't dying. I know how to make steel from clay and stone and wood. There isn't a technology in the old world I haven't mastered, and their death will not be shared by me.

Virtually all way is waged on propriety. The hatred of another groups on the premise of philosophical superiority. WW2, Nam, Korea, Russian revolution, Maoist revolution, and even if it is not entirely like WW1, it could have been prevented simply by eliminating this factor.

The belief that one way is better than another is the root of 99.7% of all non-accidental death on this earth.

It is simply that we have to eliminate these ideas (and as an anarchists, the systems going would be nice too) that we are superior to another group. This is the cause of all problems on the earth.

Ill stop here for now.

Comment if ya got it

I agree with you wholeheartedly that many people have died in the name of religion. That is really too bad. But it is nearly impossible to change other people and damn hard just changing yourself. I'm trying to concentrate on the latter.

I think about all kinds of erratic stuff too ... just musing along. But I am not sure where you go with it in the end. I suppose you could try and prepare yourself for nuclear holocaust or the possibility that the world will end on some predetermined date or that a tree branch may fall on you and kill you or the SWAT team comes in and guns your family down or all kinds of concerns. I just don't know how it helps you become a better person, a more awakened person.

I don't know how much control you have or would want to have over what will happen in the next instant.

Living in fear kinda sucks.

Well, Deep Blue Sea, at least here people talk to ya ^_^

I'm not really THAT worried. I live my life by the Tao in all ways possible, and it has kept me out of alot of trouble over the years. If i didn't have years of contemplation on my side, id probably be hooting and hollering what i believe, taking bullet wounds, causing trouble, fistfighting pistoleers.

Not that it would've been that way if i didn't find the Tao, but i wouldn't have been quite so far along.

I take things on a different tone. People take the 'noble idea' of fighting for what they believe in. I assess the risks, shut my yap appropriately, and prepare. This world is a messed up one. It's why martial artists practice, its why philosophers learn to speak so well.

I've got nothing better to do anyways. This world aint changing too fast, so I've got ages to ponder on this.

Most of all, one can worry, or do something about it. I like the old world anyways, or at least believe we should understand the old world before moving onto the new, so i am protected by my way... i don't live near a city, and in case things go down, i got a bunch of well-honed old tools to use.

It may be silly to be a little worried, but in my experience, people can turn psychotic with the right motive... usualy propriety. Redcoats, the north, commies, terrorists... Age after age of dumb crap to get crazy about.

It's alot better in Canada, but still.

In summary, I'm not really scared, but I am alert.

I don't know how much control you have or would want to have over what will happen in the next instant.

Agree. All options open seems more conducive to spontaneity. :D

For what its worth we're probably further from the advent of nuclear war then we've been in the past. My parents literally lived through duck and cover drills. I lived through the cold war where there were real confrontations, mostly through proxies. There is a magnitude of more trade and more trust between the nuclear nations. We simply depend on each other more.

30 years ago I had a group of Russians friends in high school who were recent immigrants. They lived with much more fear of nuclear war then we did. They were bombarded with propaganda about the coming war w/ the crazy Americans. It left them with psychic scars.

Human nature is slow to change, but there is a shift away from the naive prejudices of the past. Maybe thats just skin deep, but there are popular kids books and movies from the past that are incredibly, almost naively rascist. Laughably so, Dr.Doolittle, early Tarzan films etc.

I have kids so I tend to be optimistic. We live in a time of enormous abundance and incredible access to knowledge; heaven is around us, but we whine over little nothings, even about things haven't happened.

Michael

My only worry is that our spiritual progress will not keep up to our technological progress.

2,200 lives lost, we got 5 1/2 thousand killed, killed a million, and fracked over our economy we bombed so much.

I did the calculation. Per generation, 1 life will be taken in foreign war per 100 Americans.

That's the same as 4 people dying a year in a town of 10,000.

Wanna name the root cause? Division maybe. "Divide and conquer" has been very popular for a loooong time.

My mind has sat on the idea of likely nuclear war for the last few years. China has 40,000 nukes, NATO has 25,000, almost all owned by America... Quite enough to destroy eachother.

Hi, RG.

I'm not sure about the quantities of nuclear weapons that countries have. The true number that the US has is likely to be classified above Top Secret (and the roughly equivalent level of classification in other countries for their nukes). It seems reasonable, though, that the number is generally not small among the large, developed or developing countries.

Now, here is where it gets tricky. In the event of nuclear war, the prime targets will be cities. After cities are destroyed, much of the rural parts will die of starvation/dehydration.

Radiation poisoning (as from the water supply) will also be a big concern. Water-purification techniques will be essential to survival in this situation.

My recommendation is to stay at least 40 miles from other groups of people. That's about as far as a starving person may walk in about 3 days. Without potable water to drink, 3 days is about all they'll last.

Virtually all way is waged on propriety. The hatred of another groups on the premise of philosophical superiority. WW2, Nam, Korea, Russian revolution, Maoist revolution, and even if it is not entirely like WW1, it could have been prevented simply by eliminating this factor.

This I respectfully disagree with. If propriety were somehow eliminated (I don't think it can be), the causes for war -- at least the ones sold to the public -- would simply shift. Rationales would change to meet the aims of the uppermost elite, many (most?) of whom are occultists of some sort.

War is one of their most revered and powerful tools. It changes societies faster than anything else, provided that it lasts long enough. War changes boundaries, mixes genes, generates tremendous monetary profits, gives cause for introducing new technologies and harsher, more pervasive governance, etc.

I like the old world anyways, or at least believe we should understand the old world before moving onto the new, so i am protected by my way

The Old World had its advantages, but, for better or worse, it can never be completely relived. (Not that you suggested it could!) One can learn to steer adeptly, however, within the currents of the world, never quite making the Time, yet never being completed victimized by it. Adapting -- Life must do this, no matter how painful, or it will perish. Thus the standards of sanity and insanity must of necessity change. After all, the good ol' days were once the products of change... some of it conceivably unfortunate change.

But to understand the Old World is a good idea, I think.

My only worry is that our spiritual progress will not keep up to our technological progress.

I agree that this is troubling. People grow slower while machines become smarter (or at least more powerful)... not a good mix when the divide between humans and technology becomes less and less.... If humanity continues down this path, eventually it will be too late, as a species, to turn back. Seeking convenience, prosperity, an ideal state (individual or collective), security, longevity, or power through these means -- all of it leads down, down into stagnation. Turning one's back on life is, I am tempted to say, an evolutionary dead-end, but it would probably be more accurate to say it is a path into darkness.

Therefore, it will be sold and pushed onto the public as light, salvation, and what have you.

I feel the same way about knowledge and skills

And also about living in peace, everyone on this land and water and living things place.

The way i can see it work is if systems of class and so on are eliminated and if sustainable things for healthy living are invented (like the solarpower, like the drinkable water from the air, like not cramming people into too small buildings, etcetera) and maybe a few more details. indeed that everyone has power and everyone is respected, not because one is more powerful than the other, but because we all are equally powerful and not because governments have nuclear flying things, but because everyone is powerful and wise.

spiritually and physically. (that is also why i find religions and politics that keep truth away and suppress and play games disgusting.)

A question for you: Do you have a website about those skills?

And if not, can you reccomend some good ones for us all?

It would be an interesting addition to the tao bums in my opinion.

Thanks.

Sincerely

I know how to make steel from clay and stone and wood. There isn't a technology in the old world I haven't mastered, and their death will not be shared by me.

Edited by froggie

It could be harmonized. But then the ''baddies'' would have to get less and less attention at least

Well, perhaps i was using the term 'propriety' a bit liberally... i was referring necessarily to religious propriety, just to the vast concept of believing one way is superior to another, religious, governmental, or cultural.

Smile:

Completely agreed. I fear death only for its pain, and i meditate against that, to gain will over pain.

Froggie:

Well, first and foremost, the well-versed use of Google.com, including its image search (for instance, looking up what iron ore looks like), as well as the near-infinite resource called Wikipedia.org can answer most question.

I've found out alot of things through the internet as well as some valuable information about the stone age through the earth's children series (clan of the cave bear, valley of the horses, three others)

Stone age, copper age, bronze age, iron age, steel age...

At about 14 or 16, i decided got into the stone age thing, learned everything i could, and from there, learned basically everything i could in chronological order, of course making sure i didn't miss much (know what you do not know). Just recent, still following time of invetion roughly, i just found out how a semiconductor transistor works, which is the foundation of all computers... i am this *finger and thumb closely held to each other lol* far from being able to hold in my mind the entire working of a computer. This far from knowing every last peice of one.

But for instance, im not entirely sure how to build something like a radio transmitter. Why? I am having trouble finding resources on a topic that complicated.

The although you have to get a feel for it, the key to web searches in the the language code.

+topic means it MUST have this word

-topic means it CANT have this word

"topic topic and topic" means it must have this exact phrase or words in series

-"topic topic and topic" means it cant have this phrase

'tis a powerful resource

Im sorry i cannot make a website... i would if i could afford the rather minute monthly fees. i may if i figure out a money source or tighten up my budget some more.