Sign in to follow this  
Pietro

Star Trek: deep discussion AFTER you have seen the movie

Was Star Trek good?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Was Star Trek Good:

Ok, so here we can talk freely.

I have to say I really enjoyed the way the old Spok had integrated his emotional and mental side. And similraly the old father of Spok.

FOr me what really blew my mind open was the recognition that if you went back in time you could bring on knowledge on the scientific knowlege more rapidly.

Now in the movie to avoid having to tackle with things too complex time travel was occasional, but what if we learned to do it. Yes, every time you follow a new time-space universe.

But here in an interesting idea:

Imagine the whole univers is about to be destroyed.

Imagine the only way to survive is to have science reach a level where they can avoid this. But we are so far not able. But we are able to do time travel. So just before the event the best scientists go back one generation, and bring with them all the knowledge. They go in the past, and they make the humanity make a bigger jump, because in less than a generation they are up to speed with what have been discovered in the paralele universe. Then they expand this knowledge further. But it is not enough, so a new bunch of scientists (the original are now too old) go back again, and so on. This is a way in which you can see science progressing really fast just before a really bad singularity.

The idea of time criminals have been exploted many other times. Still can someone point me to other books with the same theme. In particular the time criminal, and the time cop was a leit motif of the old movie.

Final question, after the movie my gf started callimg me Spok. Should I be worried?

Final question, after the movie my gf started callimg me Spok. Should I be worried?

You should!

I liked the movie, I give 3 stars.

Everytime I watch a movie, afterwards I do a checking... it's because my time is quite limited, and I have to decide if I do this again or not. Anyhow, the checking is whether emotionally, mentally or otherwise it was an enriching experience.

This time it was on the edge, even a little less than that. It had all the elements to be a really smart movie, yet i guess they made a choise to make it more popular.

I liked it, but 3 stars is the best I can give.

If the time travelling is invented sometime in the future, this timeline wouldn't have to exist.

Or it's a parallel one.

Time, they say, was one of the most researched topics of Chinese culture...

Not surprising you strike me as a bit of a Spock, but is she black and HOT!!!

sorry...got carried away.

Wasn't it interesting to see a sexual side of Mr Pointy ears? The 1/2 human aspect is played up more I think.

I both like and dislike how the prequel became a road into a completely other timeline. I thought they would sort it out by the end, but now I realize they can do anything they want. If they want to make more movies, or another TV show, they have NO limitations.

I loved the flashes of the characters personality as remembered from the original series - YES I am 45 years old!!

I watched the film with my Father in law who is 66, my good friend who is 21 and my son who is 10.

WE ALL LOVED IT!

Nothing wrong with mindless entertainment from time to time...dont take everything so seriously little 1.

It was not emotionally,mentally or otherwise enriching. It was a SPECTACLE.

Craig

interesting

Oh you totally missed a chance.

You should have said....

Fascinating!

I both like and dislike how the prequel became a road into a completely other timeline. I thought they would sort it out by the end, but now I realize they can do anything they want. If they want to make more movies, or another TV show, they have NO limitations.

very good point. I haven't thought about it.

But ever since the movie I keep on seeing/feeling/imagining the multiverse as a whole single thing that keeps on evolving as one unit. Not any more a single universe at once. Time travel are a limited form of jump across the universe.

Nothing wrong with mindless entertainment from time to time...dont take everything so seriously little 1.

It was not emotionally,mentally or otherwise enriching. It was a SPECTACLE.

Oh I don't... I guess I didn't like it that much :D And then came up with wild excuses :D

Little1, can you please explain me this:

If the time travelling is invented sometime in the future, this timeline wouldn't have to exist.

Or it's a parallel one.

Time, they say, was one of the most researched topics of Chinese culture...

I am especially perplexed by the "have to" exist.

I mean I could grammatically understand a claim like:

If the time travelling is invented sometime in the future, this timeline wouldn't exist.

Which essentailly would say that timetravel would create some anormalities, that to avoid them the universe would always follow a different evolving line. I am not sure if I agree, but I can understand the statement.

But saying that a timeline does not have to exist...

maybe you could expand it.

Thanks.

oh i think it's all about efficiency... nature is a big expert. look at people, at old age, they rarely use their brain as before, so it shrinks down and malfunctions. nature doesn't feed what doesn't serve the purpose of perpetuation, of either matter or awareness... old people that continue to work and study are very different.

the same with osteoporosis.

funny you noticed that, because as i feel it now, i only put the "have to" in an instinctive way. you know, the way some people learn foreign language, in my native tongue it's called "by ear alone", which means no particular and specific education in envolved...

...and, when i looked into my mind to see the reason, it came in an instant.

which could only mean it's true :P

Sign in to follow this